1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

80l tank, what would you do?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Oli Pocock, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Oli Pocock

Oli Pocock New Member

Going to clean out my old 80l tank but I'm stuck, Not sure how I want to set it up. Im thinking maybe some dwarf new world cichlids, a large group of dwarf Corys and some other smaller fish like cherry barbs or a biotope but iv never done a biotope so wouldn't know where to start!

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

3. Oli Pocock

Oli Pocock New Member

Thank you, so basically for a boitope I just need some soft sand, lots of bog wood, a few leafs or peat and a few plants? What fish would be good?

4. keithgh

Oil

Its up to you to decide which fish then decide on the Biotope, next step see what fish you can get and all the rest of the hardscape.
    Don't forget to run http://www.aqadvisor.com/ to check on capacity and make sure they are all compatible.

Looks like you have a bit of research to do, once you have done that come back with your Aquascape plan and its inhabitants.

Will you complete you Profile by adding your Country as there are several Brighton's and one is about an hrs drive for me.

Keith :cat::cat:

5. Oli Pocock

Oli Pocock New Member

I'm thinking 6 dwarf Cory, 3 Oto, 10 black neon, 5 marble hatchet and 2 rams. I think there all amazon fish, now I guess there's just plant selection. Thanks for that link it was very helpful on choosing fish!

6. keithgh

Oli
    Did you run the http://www.aqadvisor.com/ first?

Hatchets are excellent jumpers and rams can be very territorial.

Keith:cat::cat:

John Whatmough likes this.
  7. Oli Pocock

Oli Pocock New Member

Yes I did, I probably sat there for 3 hours having a play around

8. keithgh

Oil very good that is one major concern solved. All you have to now is plan your Aquascape.

9. Oli Pocock

Oli Pocock New Member

True that! Iv got all my wood and stones soaking, might but another couple of bits tbh. What sand is best, play pit or pool filter? I hear play pit can be hard to clean and is very fine so it can get washed into the filter?

10. Oli Pocock

Oli Pocock New Member

Not sure if I want to set it up in the middle or split it IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0763.JPG

11. keithgh

Oli I have never been a strong believer in any type of sand as even it looks OK it can be a concern keeping it clean.

If you are going to go Biotope keep it as natural as you possibly can, in my opinion both do not look natural at all.

Do some research on their natural environment and see what you can find then see what you can do from that.

12. keithgh

[​IMG]

Oli this is their natural environment, which is the complete opposite to many of the Aquascapes, its far more than
    Time to rethink if you want an excellent aquascape.

13. Oli Pocock

Oli Pocock New Member

Okay thank you, I looked at what the amazon river bed was made up of and all I could find out that it was basically a corse sand. I'm going to have a long hard think about what to do, I may even go for something in between

14. Oli Pocock

Oli Pocock New Member

IMG_0761.JPG Was thinking about mixing 5kg of
    Light Brown Gravel, 1-2mm with 2.5kg Natural Gravel Burma 2-4mm both by dennerle to make a smooth but slightly corse aperance to my sand, it's probably going to be classed as an aquascape overall but iv taken the biotope in to consideration with my fish and plant choice. The water will be slightly brown from leaf litter and it will be loosely styled on the tank above, I like the "island" look of it, the fish sort of sholle around it but It also provides cover. Thanks for you help! Need to save for a month and sort some stuff out but i couldn't ask for a more helpful form!

15. keithgh

Oli

Personally when certain medium is mixed together it looks very natural espically if you want your tank to have that natural appeal.

Every thing has to be assembled very carefully yet it must look natural and that is the hardest part.

16. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Definitely looking forward to seeing this finished. Post some pictures of the wood!

17. keithgh

lucasgg Oli is well into the Think Tank now all he has to do is make all the correct decisions, buy every thing, make up a mock tank, work on that then progress to his tank.