1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

7gal Shrimp only - "Forgotten Glade"

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by SteveUK, Oct 30, 2008.

1. SteveUK

SteveUK New Member

Following on from some of the guys on UKAPS, setting a fine example, I've decided to setup my own shrimp only tank. I have re-scaped my 27 litre Aqua 40 "cube", re-using the existing Eco Complete, which I doubt has any nutrients left in it, mainly because it's a dark substrate.

Specs:
    27 litre Aqua40 (approx 30cm cube, bow front)
    18w retrofitted T5 PC
    Eheim Pro 2222 (rated@500lph)

Flora:
    Fissedens Fontanus
    Weeping Moss
    Java Fern "needle"
    P. Helferi
    Bolbitis
    Staurogyne sp.

Fauna:
    Cherry shrimp

My intention is to dose TPN+ and Easy Carbo. Lighting is from an 18w Interpet PC. I've upgraded the tube from a dull "Beauty" light to a Sylvania 6500K Daylight tube, which has made a big difference.

Here's how it looked after some final planting and adding some more rock, and generally after more fiddling about on Monday night:

[​IMG]

The tank had been running for a week at this point, but I added the bolbitis and staurogyne, along with a little more rock on the back right to complete the hardscape and planting.

Shrimp arrived at 12.30 yesterday, and all looked to be healthy, all hiding in the moss included in the bag. I got them into a plastic container and floated it on top of the aquarium, and acclimitised them for a few hours.

Anyhow, I almost forgot to cover over the end of the filter intake to prevent shrimplets being sucked into the filter. I used a section of cloth mesh from an old breeding trap I had kicking about. I rolled it over the inlet strainer and tied it off at the bottom. I then tucked the remainder of the mesh at the top and trapped it inplace when I put the strainer back onto the intake tube. Should work a treat :)

Right, enough blabbering. Here are a few pics from yesterday, with shrimp!

[​IMG]

One of the larger shrimps:
    [​IMG]

My favourite angle. I've added a few more smaller bits of rock behind the P. helferi and under one of the overhanging "roots". Small pieces but I think they've added to it:

[​IMG]

And an overall shot:
    [​IMG]

Too lazy to rotate the photos and crop them ;)

Just want to say thanks again to LondonDragon (UKAPS) for the shrimp. I just have to pay him now :D

2. Vele bit

Vele bit New Member

this one is going to be real beauty...I really like this set up

3. SteveUK

SteveUK New Member

Thanks alot :)

Can't wait for the white cotton thread to blend in and not stick out so much...

4. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

I really like the wood and the hardscape in general. What kind of wood is that, and where did you get it?

5. SteveUK

SteveUK New Member

As far as I know it's Redmoor wood. I scored it from my LFS. Cost me next too nothing as it's quite light and they sold it by weight! (They've caught on now and it's a bit more expensive).

This is what it looks like the other way around :) Makes a nice tree...

6. SteveUK

SteveUK New Member

I've seen one shrimplet today! Tiny little blighter :lol:

I'm getting a few small patches of diatoms on the front glass, and a little GSA too. Also seeing a few small bits of hair algae on the fissidens at the front on the slates. Not much though.

I really need to get a dosing regime down and stick to it! I plan to do a water change tomorrow and have it sorted by then, and then I'll stick to that :)

I'll try to post some pics too. I've just noticed how much the slates have filled in! Also, the bolbitis seems to be unrolling a few new leaves/shoots too. I think that the floating riccia is blocking out reasonable amount of light, but I think this is working to my advantage, stopping any massive algae outbreaks at this early stage... I'm considering chucking a few of my nerite snails into this tank as additional tank cleaning crew :)

Fingers crossed eh?

7. foofooree

foofooree New Member

This tank is going to be really awesome when it fills in. It has a nice 'framework' thus far :)

8. SteveUK

SteveUK New Member

Name picked :) - "Forgotten Glade"

9. SteveUK

SteveUK New Member

I managed to count 4 shrimplets this morning [​IMG] Added a Nerite snail to help out with glass cleaning. GSA is starting to take hold a little, so going to do a water change this evening.

My dosing regime starting this week will be:

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - 1ml Tropica Plant Nutrition+
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 1ml Tropica Plant Nutrition

1.5ml Easy Carbo daily.

Rest/Water change Sunday.

One of the chaps from Tropica told Graeme on UKAPS at the Glee show in September that they have been having good success dosing TPN+ and TPN on alternate days. I thought I'd give it a try.

10. SteveUK

SteveUK New Member

I've just taken a few update pics. The Staurogyne has bushed out reasonably well. I might need to prune it back in the comming weeks and stimulate some more bushy growth. The moss covered slate has covered nicely :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've added a spraybar to get a better flow front too back.

11. SteveUK

SteveUK New Member

Taken some pics this afternoon :)

Shrimplet! (I really need a better lense!):
    [​IMG]

Another:
    [​IMG]

Difficult to get up close, any advice on a cheap macro lense for an EOS300D?
    [​IMG]

Feeding time. I've noticed they've nearly all coloured up nicely now:
    [​IMG]

This root is proving to be a good posing spot:
    [​IMG]

Full shot. That riccia will be gone this time tomorrow :)
    [​IMG]

Next to it's "Big brother" (90cm):
    [​IMG]

12. Vele bit

Vele bit New Member

two very nice brothers IMO . Nice colours,very good position. Is there any more of theme? :star:

13. iam_koi

iam_koi New Member

The driftwood looks amazing..