1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

75X45X45 ADA - 42G - Phase One

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Alex Weisletten, May 26, 2009.

1. Alex Weisletten

Alex Weisletten New Member

Greetings,

I'm still in the process of getting a few more things before I can begin my first tank ever. But I've built my own stand and now working on the rock layout.

I'm trying to create a mountain, sharp and tectonic like as if thrust upward but with some decay as well. Please keep in mind that 1/3 of the one big rock will be buried. Have a look see and whould love to hear what you like and don't, cheers. Alex.

BTW, I hiked and got these rocks from a local trail about 2 miles away. I live in Arizona so you pretty much can find any rock you want!!

Tank and stand setup for now.

[​IMG]

(Laminate Slate Grey color)

[​IMG]

To the Rocks!
    Substrate will fill the void by the phone and the lower piece with small rocks to be elevated higher with substrate under it.

[​IMG]

Close up of the second mound.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the base looking up (a fish eyes view)

[​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

You should think about the structure lines in the rocks. These has to be somewhat pointing the same way, as in a real mountain. Try not to make flat and straight placements like on the right side.

3. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

you might want to rotate your hanging light. Unless it is square light, The length of the light should be parallel to the length of the tank.

Rock placement wise, you might want to rotate the left rock to hide the flat side. Normally in Iwagumi scape, you want to show the rough side of the rock. Also you might want to place it in angle.

4. Alex Weisletten

I need to get another light anyway this one is a 250W and it's a bit much, need to get a 150W. It does not seem to make much difference when I rotate the light in regards to the light box it creates on the floor. Still working on another way to suspend the light, I don't want to hang them from the ceiling or wall in case I wish to move the tank.

For the rocks, I agree about getting the seems to flow naturally. I need to get some substrate to really get a better feeling when I place them, I'm a little worried about the size of the big rock.

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

dont worry about size - it will be a real "main stone" ;) if possible try to get some more stones same type to have more to play with

6. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

Hmm, gauging by the size of the blackberry compared to the rocks, aren't they a bit small for a tank that size? 75cm isn't a small tank any more (by my book at least). I've used 60cm tanks a lot, and that stone doesn't even look big enough for a 60cm main rock. :S

Edit: Also, is it possible to hang the light from the side rather than from the back? It looks awkward to see the metal support pole going through the background of the tank.

7. Alex Weisletten

Hey Steve,

The big rock is about 11 inches tall then laying on bed of soil about 3 deep, 2inches in to sink the rock so a net 12 inches, with 5 to spare until the edge. Yeah the light setup needs some work.

Got some more substrate so I'll be laying it out this evening and then maybe a photo.

Thx.

8. Alex Weisletten

The latest layout, the same as before sorta, stubborn sob.I think with a nice tight HC carpet it will look pretty good. Mid and Back plants undecided. I'm planning on growing the HC dry to ease into the substrate chemistry before filling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Loved the scape. It was looking different on table. But in the tank with AS it's looking really nice.

All the best!

10. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

You should definately move the left side closer to the middle. Maybe just the main rock!

11. Alex Weisletten

I guess I could nudge the big rock over a little to the left, I just want to preserve the valley or U shaped valley in the middle. My concern is that the substrate is getting steep alongside the big stone towards the center, hard to see in the photos. Tall stem plants or grass will be planted behind the big stone. Thx everyone for your input. Does anyone know of a good plant store?

Alex

12. tea-man-tim

tea-man-tim New Member

if your trying to keep the valley, why not build the smaller side up a little more? or push it into the middle a tad more

altho, i think it also looks pretty good as it is :)

13. Jurijs mit JS

lovely :)
    however you will decide about the rock placement keep us update ;)

14. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Very good start. There are several good suggestions about the rocks. I think it may be fine as it currently stands. Some of the substrate will cover it to make it blend as you said.

Any ideas on what types of plants you're going with? I'm guess this will be something like an HC or glosso only tank?

-John N.

15. Alex Weisletten

Ordered the HC should arrive in a few days.

I do want to plant some some small leaf or grass types between some of the stones, not sure. I guess I'm not sure what the end goal is yet which is bad.

I'm conflicted about the design as a mountain seen with low grass and flying birds aka fish or planting taller stems behind the stones which might make the tank look more like a stream or pond with stones nice all the same. The good news is I can start with the mountain setting first and progress towards the later.

My concern is if the HC is nutrient hungry enough to starve out algae without being overally anal about the nutrients in the system. I guess time will tell.

Last, Ill see if I can move the stones a bit closer to each other but at the moment their pretty close already though the photos make it appear not so, which I guess is good becuase I've created a good illusion of size and distance with the stones.

I traveled to Norway to visit my relatives and took many pictures of the granite mountains and fjords. I guess that's probably why the layout has that U shaped valley between the two masses.

Thx everyone.

Alex

16. Alex Weisletten

Re-designed the light setup. To save money I found this closet clothing hanger rack at HomeDepot for $26, a couple of brackets to mount, a few screw holes to run the wire inside and a little finesse and you get a pretty good light stand and it adjusts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. MikeAquaTankMcBride

MikeAquaTankMcBride New Member

Good job on the light. It looks significanly more elegant coming up from the side. From the back, it became one of the focal points. What's your next step?

18. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

hey... prety good idea... will find similar clothes hanger.

19. Jurijs mit JS

looking good :proud:
    how about e.vivipara for the background and maybe some tenellus or e.parvula for the midground?

20. Morten

Morten New Member

Hi Alex,

Great scape. :proud: :proud:

However, I have to agreed with Kristoffer about moving the main rock just a bit to the right.

Looking forward to see more of this scape/setup.