1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

60ltr first scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Cai1987, Nov 12, 2015.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Cia

You could say A nana petite is extremely small over the years I have seen actual plants called A nana petite were certainly not.

I believe Co2 will make them grow faster with a slightly larger leaf.

[​IMG]

To the best of my knowledge this is the true A nana petite the leaves are about 5mm or less.

Keith:):)

Cai1987 likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Cai1987

Cai1987 Aspiring Aquascaper

I like how shout in your face my little tank is In my backroom. It's like 'look at me... Look
    At me!!" Haha image.jpeg

3. keithgh

Cai

I can see a well lit tank in a room no Aquascaping details.

Keith:)

4. Cai1987

Haha that there is my Aquascaping world right there in that room.

5. Cai1987

Can somebody please identify what's going on with my ADA Colorado sand? I'm busy doing a dry start with my tank. Whilst doing some pruning etc I've noticed a few patches of this green stuff on the surface of my sand. I assume it's off the moisture but as to remedying the problem I don't know. Perhaps @greenfinger 2 or anyone else who's done the dry start can identify this. It's only on sand and mostly along edge of it. Thanks everyone image.jpeg

6. Cai1987

I've done some researching on the net and everything I've found so far is on tanks with water in. There's is a form of algae. Few opinions have been that with my sand being so light it's soaking more light. the high lighting I've got running and high moisture/humidity is causing this. I've turned lights down slightly and agitated the sand. I of course look forward to others insight however as I know the net isn't neccesarily the most correlating of places.

7. keithgh

Cai

Being an light coloured ADA substrate plus your lighting it can happen very easily.

I am sure Roy can help you but first list every detail about your tank, especially the lighting type and hrs on.

Can you get sufficient water to do a water test?

Cai1987 likes this.
  8. Cai1987

Unfortunately no Keith. I only give it all a light mist once a day. As to the power it's a 24w 78xLED full spectrum. Lighting is on for 12hours as I thought with there being unlimited co2 available there shouldn't be a problem with algae etc. Like I say it's only the sand. Plants are growing well everyday also. New growth to note all the time.

9. keithgh

Cai

The sand must be wet if not your plants would not grow in dry sand.

As the plants are growing fast there is possibly no sign of any algae on the plants.

10. Cai1987

Ye, that looks about the right of it Keith. The sands just left due to nature of the scape. It's a good sign that the substrate for plants is fine as are plants. However, the sand, what course do I take to eradicate this? I assume come flooding day, I will be having algae spores evident in water column which I don't want. Could I dose it with something?

11. Cai1987

I will note that the water is probably sitting around the sand as my tank slopes inwards to pathway so water will be running that way I suppose.

12. keithgh

Cai

Algae only requires moisture I was always cleaning it off the top cover glass, I would scrape it off and the shrimps would love it.

13. Cai1987

Ye I was same with my hexagon tank. Would build up in no time. Perhaps a blackout may help and hold back on misting too. Il take cling film off also to allow it to breath fully.

14. keithgh

Cai

I have never done a dry start check with Roy it might be time to slowly start adding the water.

Check first even if you have to open a new topic on your Dry Start is it ready or not?

15. Cai1987

Just a quick update. Tank has been nicely dry started now for nigh on 2months now and growth has been great. Everything is growing nicely and the roots have taken very well. I moved some rotala the other day and the root network was unbelievable on it. I should of took picture but I was in my creative zone I forgot. Hah.
    I've changed background and side glass tint to a darker tint and I feel it adds more of an atmosphere so happy with that. Il post couple of images of tank.
    I intend to add water on Thursday so that's a big day for me. I'm very excited after being patient with my dry start. Il post photos of a hopefully successful water filled tank then also.
    Cheers

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  16. Cai1987

17. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Cai, Looking great job well done there (y) When you flood trim the hair grass right back. It will send out new runners and send up new growth.As when you flood the tank the grass will die back and will attract algae

Cai1987 likes this.
  18. Cai1987

Cheers Roy, I will certainly do that. Shame as there's been new growth just from my dry start after cutting it back to start with. No matter though (y). How much are we talking? Cm or so?? I had a dry run with my bubble counter and the co2 itself yesterday. Basically just seeing what working pressures I've got and how sensitive needle valve is. Quite big bubbles coming out into bubble counter. Got it to a nice rate of 2bps which is what I think I'm going for to start with. Got a new ph pen today with proper buffer solution as the last one i bought was just cheap and wouldn't calibrate correctly. I bought ph4 buffer and ph7 buffer. I'm abit vague on the reasons why I needed both as they advised they work in conjunction with each other. Perhaps you can enlighten me. I'm seeing 7.4 for my tap anyway so il be looking for 6.4 once lights are on from co2. Don't know if you noticed my riccia stones placed in tank but I've found positions for them so I'm hopeful they'll fit in nicely once grown in. Can't wait to see the difference in the tank being submersed too. :LOL::D

19. keithgh

Cai

When you trim back turn off all water movement and syphon as you go if not you will have dead trimmings all over the tank and possibly a blocked filter inlet.

Before you turn the filter back on cover the inlet for at least 24hrs to collect all the bits and pieces you did not syphon out.

Keith:cat::cat:

20. Cai1987

Ok, yesterday was flood day. Things went well. First of all I covered my plants and hardscape with paper.
    [​IMG]

The next step was to make sure everything was secure including pump connections etc.
    Water was added using an old length of co2 tubing into a bowl slowly. It took some time but I allowed myself as much as needed.
    Once the tank was filled I then physically started my fluval 305 off manually. After canister had filled and all air was expended I switched power on and left it running for few hours to make sure there was no slip ups. In which I had a small leak due to the aqua stop slipping off. A quick fix and mop up and then I went ahead to setting my timers up for lights and co2 to come on. No plants came out firing filling time so I'm happy they've taken root nicely during dry start. I do expect some melting during this transition now but will keep close watch on that.
    Co2 was set to come on 2hours before lights on. I set an initial rate of 2bps. I took the ph with my ph pen before any co2 was added and got a reading of 7.3.
    To cut a long story short, the ph only dropped to 7.0 at the very most over the co2 period which I took readings of every 30mins. Flow was good and could physically see it working around back of tank and pulling round front to inflow. There was slight agitation on top of water but I wouldn't say too aggressive to allow co2 to escape too much. I intend to increase the bubble rate to 3bps and leave it for day again today.
    Over the period yesterday my drop checker which was filled with 4dkh solution went from a blue to a very light green(bordering on see through green) I cleared all bubbles after filling the tank and when light were on all plants seemed to be pearling very well.
    [​IMG]
    •My plans for today are to keep an eye on filter
    •Change 75% of water before co2 and light period
    •check the parameters of water so I've a basis to go off for ammonia etc
    •take readings of ph with ph pen throughout co2 and photo periods.

If there's anything you think I should change, alter or do differently then please do not hesitate to inform me. Thanks for looking and merry Christmas