1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

60ltr first scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Cai1987, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Cai1987

Cai1987 Aspiring Aquascaper

Ye I know my dad fights with duckweed in his pond. He thought it looked so nice to begin with. Strangles all life within nowadays. I was looking at some water lettuce(pistils stratiotes) or some butterfly wings(salvinia natans) on eBay. Not sure on your opinions on these flora however? @keithgh @greenfinger 2. Thank you for the advise up to now too Keith and Roy. It's very much appreciated believe you me. It's a tough time learning what's needed but it's been an enjoyable 'journey' so far. Let's hope it continues

greenfinger 2 likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Cai

Water Lettuce if I am correct it is classed as a noxious weed in either all or parts of Australia as it can and has blocked up water ways.

Keith:):)

Cai1987 likes this.
  3. Cai1987

Cheers for that Keith. Il keep looking. I've only had a brief look whilst at work tonight. It's not a big concern as of yet anyway. Other things more important on my list at moment.

4. keithgh

Cai

I used a Floating water Sprite (Wisteria) slow to start but a wonderful floating plant.
    [​IMG]

greenfinger 2 and Cai1987 like this.
  5. Cai1987

Thanks Keith (y)(y):)

6. keithgh

Cip

Glad I could help you.

7. Cai1987

Ok it's been around 4weeks now of the dry start method process and I have to say I'd highly recommend it to anyone. It really is very easy if you follow a few simple rules. Keep the tank nice and humid ensuring the tank gets a good air out once a day if possible. Keep tank moist but NOT wet. The only plant I struggled with so far is the eleocharis acicularis 'mini'. A lot of mould around this plant. Perhaps it was due to it being high up on my substrate so being closer to light. That in hand with the humidity must of promoted the mould. However, I took all the eleocharis acicularis out of tank as at time I panicked it would spread only to find that some of it has survived and has sprouted through the substrate so hopefully it redeems itself. I have to say the hemianthus callitrichoides has loved this process and has really started to move along the substrate floor. Very little melting on any of this plant. The riccia fluitans after dying back has grown new growth and is starting to take shape on rocks. Rotala bonsai is very healthy and is spreading along very sneakily. Little stems seem to keep appearing every day from substrate. I'm very hopeful once the plants really mature that a nice atmosphere within tank will materialise and I can sit back and enjoy it. It's far from perfect I know but for how far it's come with a beginners hand at it its done very well. I intend to flood this tank mid December when I'm off from work so I can keep a close watch on co2/lighting properly. I will be starting lighting off for 6hours a day slightly dimmed with I'm hoping to start with 2 bubbles per second of co2 to begin with and go from there. I will then keep a close watch on ph levels within tank timing at start to see how long it takes for ph to drop 0.5ph. This then will be amount of time I should set co2 timer to switch on before lights then come on. I'm hoping to see some pearling there after with this setting about an hour after lights are switched on if I've read correctly. I will be doing 75% water changes everyday for atleast the first week and the. Gradually tail that back once ammonia/nitrite levels drop safely. I hope what I've planned is correct but if anyone has anything else to add or perhaps feels a different approach is needed then please do say as all this is sheerly from my own research from this forum and others. I am a beginner after all and an taking word of mouth for alot of my steps. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

kylumi and greenfinger 2 like this.
  8. Cai1987

image.png This is my EI INDEX weekly nutrient intake in which I worked out using @SO19Firearms calculator which I recommend people use if interested in this method aswell as others. Ordered by magic salts and ordered my digital scales so I can do it myself. I will add I will be starting off with this and perhaps tweaking to my own tanks needs thereafter.

9. keithgh

Cai

Use that as a guide only as you might have to adjust if and when necessary.

Reason for saying that it will depend on your water supply as it could vary a little over a period of time.

Next obvious question how do you intend to measure and test all those ingredients.

10. Cai1987

Ye I understand I may have to tweak things here and there. i will be measuring them using the powder digital measuring scales I have. As for testing, as I understand EI index is exactly as it says. It estimates amount needed for size of my tank. I use the calculator on this forum to gain the amounts needed. My water being as it is I won't be adding calcium carbonate and I intend to drop the potassium nitrate slightly too as to my water parameters. As for testing I will have to keep a close watch on the plants health and any signs I may be under dosing which I highly doubt given the nature of the process I'm using. As time goes by I'm sure il tailor it right down to exactly as I need but for now the plants will get the neccesary nutrients and slightly more going by this recipe given from the site.

11. keithgh

Cai

Every day you look at your tank look at your plants in detail, smell the water if something is wrong you will detect it faster.
    Feel the temp as this "Might" change a few things.

I live in a coastal tourist town as summer approaches so do the holiday makers they all need extra water that means extra ????? is added to keep our water safe to use in the home.

To me it meant BEWARE for any sudden changes or smell in the water, one year ???? came through the water that killed all the good bacteria in my tank after a 30% water change.

I fixed it very quickly with massive doses of Stability if I did a water change I would have added more ???? to my tank water.

The Ph can also change weekly very fast.

Cai1987 likes this.
  12. Cai1987

Tourists? Haha what are those? My town is a sleepy town I'm afraid. Not much to see In Hartlepool. However, I take your point. I will certainly use all the senses I can use to keep ahead of the game so to speak. I've just got to make sure I make notes of everything that does change and the possible causes. It's only way I will learn. I'm a very organised person in nature and very cautious in making rash decisions. I will be treating this like I used to do my old science experiments. Structured and controlled where possible

13. keithgh

Cai

If only all beginners were that organized I think my reply posting would be far less.

By having a Journal you can post these notes to help others.

Cai1987 likes this.
  14. keithgh

Cai

Roy would be the best person to answer that question.

15. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi I clicked on the link it came up this is banned virus alert on my computer :eek:

Where did you get the link ???

16. Cai1987

@greenfinger 2 it was just on my google search page. Worked fine with my phone. However, I will remove it.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  17. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Cai Well you never know :eek:

I use EI I am at the moment just running standard EI Plants are growing well ;)

I use this starter kit
    http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/dry-chemicals/starter-kits.html

Macro 4 tsp potassium nitrate
    1 tsp """""""""" phosphate
    6 tsp magnesium sulphate
    500 ml water

Micro 1 tsp chelated trace elements 500 ml water
    10ml per day per 50lt of water
    Dose macro and micro on alternating days No dosing Sat Water change Sun 50%

I have hard water this mix works well for me :)

Cai1987 likes this.
  18. Cai1987

Thanks for that @greenfinger 2. Top advise and good site. I've ordered a similar EI starter kit from the nutrient company. Less than 20pounds.
    Contains:
    TNC trace
    Mono-potassium phosphate
    Potassium nitrate
    Gh boost(increases water hardness with calcium,magnesium and potassium)

I won't be using gh boost however as going from my own water levels I do not need to harden my water any more than it already is.
    Not sure how that will affect my magnesium levels though. My tap water has 53mg/l already.

19. keithgh

Cai

All I can say is test your tap water and tank water regularly plus keep a very detailed record and if there is a change you will notice it immediately.

greenfinger 2 and Cai1987 like this.
  20. Cai1987

Is Anubias nana petite the smallest flora I can get to attach to my hardscape other than Java fern. I want to put a couple little plants within pock holes of my hardscape but it's got to sit right with the size of everything within. Cheers