1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

60ltr first scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Cai1987, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Cai1987

Cai1987 Aspiring Aquascaper

image.jpeg Tank- clear seal 60cm X 30 X 40
    Lights- LED400 full spectrum 24w x 78LEDs
    Substrate- ADA powersand special
    ADA Amazonia powder
    ADA Colorado sand
    Heater- hydor external heater 300w
    Co2-
    •dual stage two gauge regulator with solenoid and precision SMCneedle valve
    •Precision metal co2 bubble counter with built in check valve and magnify holder.
    •Intense Inline CO2 Aquarium Atomizer Diffuser System
    •2kg co2 fire extinguisher
    •Lilly pipes in/outflow
    Filter- fluval 305 canister filter
    Hardscape- dragonstone
    Flora- All tropica 1-2-grow in vitro:
    •HC (hemianthus callitrichoides 'cuba')
    •Echinodorus tennellus 'green'
    •HG (Eleocharis acicularis 'mini')
    •Rotala 'bonsai'
    •Riccia fluitans
    •eleocharis vivipara
    •Cryptocoryne pygmea
    •rotala nanjenshan
    (Any other ideas on planting I'm happily open to)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

Sponsored link:

2. Cai1987

For this tank I will be dry starting to begin with: I shall supply my journal of it in my words and thoughts. Please be gentle on opinions as its my first go at all of this. However, I shall take advice if given.

3. Cai1987

Day1- planted up and sprayed thoroughly. Covered with cling film. Temp-18degrees 7pm condensed
    Light-full, 10hrs
    image.jpeg

Day2- opened film up to let air circulate, sprayed on night and left 2open slots for circulation of air.
    Temp-18degrees 7pm condensed
    Lights- full 12hrs
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. Cai1987

Day3-
    Tank condensed still. Light spray on evening as still a lot of water inside.
    Temp-18
    Lights- full 12hrs
    image.jpeg

5. Cai1987

Day4-
    Sprayed inside of tank and placed small plastic pot with water in; hope to let it naturally evaporate causing nice humidity. Slight signs of some melting on HC which is expected whilst plants try to use energy to take root. Moved lighting up to 15hrs.
    Temp-18
    Lights-full 15
    image.jpeg

6. Cai1987

Day5-
    Took pot of water out due to worries of it stagnating and promoting mould etc. Tank still nicely misted and can feel humidity whilst working within tank. Still only light melting on HC but no others. Soil moist but not wet and flora still nice and green. Too early to notice any growth however due to most of work being done to take root in soil. Ordered some Riccia fluitans to attach to dragonstone via the holes. Aim is to attach moss to add extra punch when matured.
    image.jpeg

7. Cai1987

Day6-
    Came back from a short trip and tank was left unattended for 2days. Skewers I placed in tank to keep growing areas apparent had white fluffy mold on so were immediately discarded. Riccia fluitans delivery arrived. Washed under a cold tap and split into smaller parts. Moss was added into cracks of dragonstone ensuring it was nice and secure in place. Hoping with my hardscape being pock-holed that the Riccia will attach freely during dry start method. Notice with hemianthus callitrichoides there were a few upward growing stems which I trimmed to promote horizontal growth. On the note of the HC I'm not sure as to wether it's my imagination but some areas look as though they have grown outward already which would be very exciting if true. My photos over time will prove one way or other. All other flora are as before. No melting on any of foliage which is good up to now and no other signs of mould to record to date. Opened up cling film to air the tank out and then resealed after 30mins or so. Temperature moved up a couple degrees of houses central heating being switched back on.
    Temp-17degrees and up to 19degrees after a spray of water in tank and resealment.
    Lights-full 15hrs
    image.jpeg

Hemianthus callitrichoides 'cuba'(HC) possible growth in areas.(poor photo)
    image.jpeg
    Example of Riccia fluitans planted within pock holes of dragonstone

8. Cai1987

Day7-
    Opened cling film up for few hours to really air tank out as felt there was a strong stale smell coming from tank. After which tank smelt a lot fresher. Did some light pruning on HG as noticed some of blades were turning yellow/brown. Fiddly job with tweezers but managed. On the note of HG; I am most worried with this plant out of all not to do well. Quite a lot of melting noticed today with cling film off fully on that specific plant. All others look happy and erect to light. Quite happy to say that the HC is definitely spreading across substrate. Signs are good but shall keep a close watch on progress. Temperature went from 17-20 degrees over day. Plants don't seem to mind this temperature however so I don't have a concern with it. Resealed up and sprayed within tank. Soil was moist but not wet through, as were the plants. Any water left on leaves quickly evaporated off so not concerned with mould at moment. I wonder if with me using tap water and it containing chlorine etc that this would keep fungi/mould at bay? Pure speculation but maybe some truth? Overall happy with tank to date and still have a keen approach to it all. Found myself sat watching the tank frequently lost in thought for long periods throughout the week. Let's hope it continues to improve and thrive.
    Lights-full 15hrs
    Temp-17-20degrees across day image.jpeg
    Hemianthus callitrichoides(HC 'Cuba')
    image.jpeg
    Rotala 'bonsai'

9. Cai1987

Day10-
    There's been a significant change in plant colour over last few days particularly the eleocharis acicularis 'mini'. Significant melting on all areas of plant. Worry it won't survive the process. Pruned back the brown/dead foliage and will see what happens as to my course of action to replace. There's been some light melting on my hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' but good signs of growth also so hopeful it's settling its roots nicely. Also the rotala 'bonsai' looks happy to date with no melting to note. Tennelus looks no different also but neither does there seem to be any noticeable growth. The riccia fluitans I attached to my hardscape is yellow in places so I will have to keep an eye on that also. I may have to look to replace that when I submerse the tank as I know others find success better that way. Best way to learn is to make your own mistakes however. Tank is aired once a day and is kept nicely condensed around then. There has been a sighting of light mould around the HG which I immediately removed from around small areas of plant. No other signs anywhere however so fingers crossed its a minor problem. Have ordered another batch of hemianthus callitrichoides to try n fill some of the larger areas between the current HC I have planted as I'd like to give it the best chance of carpeting as I can. Still not sure on exact planting but I will wait to see further progress in current stock before re-evaluating any further upgrades/replacements. I'm happy things are still looking hopeful however, apart from the HG problems.
    image.jpeg
    Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' melting??
    image.jpeg
    Light melting on hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'; runners apparent however
    image.jpeg
    Echindorus tennellus pre-prune

Temp- 19degrees
    Lights- 14hrs full

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  10. Cai1987

Ok that's all my journal updates from phone. The next post will be real time. Feel free to advise but not criticise everyone. I'm Interested in some ideas for further plants to use or any ideas on replacement of already planted flora.

11. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Cai

That is going to be practically impossible.

Lets say I am going to give you some constructive advice.
    I would advise you to change the pathway to something like this, (including a colour similar to the rocks) it has plenty of shape and more space for planting.

The rocks are full of character and appear to be well positioned.

[​IMG]

Keith:):)

Cai1987 and greenfinger 2 like this.
  12. Cai1987

Il happily take constructive criticism aslong as its got some merit @keithgh. That there is not a bad idea pal. I was sceptical about the width of pathway to start with. Suppose it's just grown on me. It would look more natural your way. Thank you for the advice as always. Any ideas on extra planting? I've just ordered some eleocharis vivipara for background as mini hair grass has gone moldy :-(

13. keithgh

Cai

As you will soon find out I always try to give constructive criticisms.

Re the Plants there are several plant experts on ASW and I am sure they will assist you.

14. Cai1987

Day14- tank has been well condensed last few days. Only sprayed once a day. However, some areas of white fluffy mould have appeared around areas of eleocharis acicularis 'mini'. Hopes of that plant doing anything during the dry start are now at a very low probability of growing. I have no idea why these spots have occurred around these plants only. Hopefully somebody can answer that query. Other news is I have taken @keithgh advice on layout he commented on above and I'm very happy with the change so thank you Keith. I will have to order another batch of hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba now to the wife's apparent joy . I have also ordered some eleocharis vivipara I think it's called to add to background. Let's see if this can settle better than the smaller type. Overall plants seem happy and not much melting to report. Hoping over next week or so the foreground should start to move abit closing some gaps. Feel free to propose any new ideas people and I look forward to your constructive criticism everyone .
    image.jpeg

Cip, keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  15. Cai1987

image.png
    Mould around eleocharis acicularis 'mini'

16. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Cai, Hardsape is looking good (y)

Start to lower the humidity. And leave a gap at each end of the tank. So there is a air flow into the tank. Not too much to start with a little at a time. This will help stop the mould. Plus trim back the dead plants leaves.

Cai1987 likes this.
  17. Cai1987

Hi @greenfinger 2 i have 2 gaps either side about 1inch wide. How would I start lower the humidity otherwise? I don't generally spray too much either. It's just funny how it's only on the hair grass which is in the background of tank, thus, being higher up to light? This maybe? I've started to cling film my light within tank so maybe I should take it out over top of cling film covering tank again?

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  18. keithgh

Cai

That path is looking a lot better now, next step scatter bits and pieces of small rocks on and around the path this pathway is a perfect example of what to do.
    [​IMG]

19. Cai1987

Thanks @keithgh ive got some bits n pieces in my little tool box that might work .

20. keithgh

Cai

At the moment your pathway is not looking natural, try to give it the natural look and you will be surprised at the difference it will make.