1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

5g Adventure

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by xigtc, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

if the old leaves are wilting, that is normal as long as there is new growth, no worries, let it ride.

Sponsored link:

2. Orlandog7

ok that sounds fine. From my understanding, Prime is to help grow beneficial bacteria, and stability is for transporting fish. I use Prime and have seen it make a positive difference. So I can't speak about Seachem Stability in the established aquarium.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

4. xigtc

xigtc Aspiring Aquascaper

I believe you have those swapped Orlandog7. Stability is for bacterial growth and Prime is a water conditioner.

Keithgh blue means not enough CO2. Yellow means to much green is just right. I've been changing this fluid out once a week just to make sure it accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Orlandog7

Fair enough, I stand corrected. But just friendly FYI I let my co2 fluid stand for about a month. It stays consistent only when it turns translucent, then I change.

kabriolet, keithgh and xigtc like this.
  6. keithgh

I used Stability for many years at every water change and filter clean (double dose) Prime I have used once to treat Ammonia.

Info from Seachem.
    Description

Stability® will rapidly and safely establish the aquarium biofilter in freshwater and marine systems, thereby preventing the #1 cause of fish death: "new tank syndrome". Stability® is formulated specifically for the aquarium and contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The bacteria employed by Stability® are non-sulfur fixing and will not produce toxic hydrogen sulfide. Stability® is completely harmless to all aquatic organisms as well as aquatic plants, thus there is no danger of over use. Stability® is the culmination of nearly a decade of research and development and represents the current state of the art in natural biological management.

The bacteria used in competing products are inherently unstable. The conditions necessary for their growth and development fall into a very narrow range of temperatures, pH, organic loads, etc. When any of these parameters are not strictly within the proper range, the bacterial culture quickly crashes and dies. Stability® does not contain any of the aforementioned bacteria.

Prime
    Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and saltwater. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies ammonia. Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. Prime® is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime® will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

When transporting or quarantining fish, use Seachem StressGuard™. When adding new fish, use Stability®. Both are ideal for use with Prime®.

Nearly all companies manufacture a product that removes chlorine. None of those, however, can compare in quality, concentration, or effectiveness to Seachem’s flagship product: Prime®. Prime® is the second most concentrated dechlorinator on the market after our own aquavitro alpha™. A single 100 mL bottle will treat 1000 US gallons of tap water. Prime® will remove both chlorine and chloramines from municipal water supplies.

Prime® also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic. It is very important to understand how those two functions work together. All dechlorinators operate through a chemical process known as reduction. In this process, toxic dissolved chlorine gas (Cl2) is converted into non-toxic chloride ions (Cl-). The reduction process also breaks the bonds between chlorine and nitrogen atoms in the chloramine molecule (NH2Cl), freeing the chlorine atoms and replacing them with hydrogen (H) to create ammonia (NH3).

Typically, dechlorinators stop there, leaving an aquarium full of toxic ammonia! Seachem takes the necessary next step by including an ammonia binder to detoxify the ammonia produced in the reduction process.

Be very careful when purchasing water conditioners. If your municipality includes chloramines in the water supplies, a standard sodium thiosulfate dechlorinator is not enough. Prime® promotes the natural production and restoration of the slime coat rather than relying on artificial or non-native slime compounds. A further bonus for the reef hobbyist—Prime® will not overactivate protein skimmers.

Keith:cat::cat:

7. keithgh

Orlandog,

Fair enough, I stand corrected. But just friendly FYI I let my co2 fluid stand for about a month. It stays consistent only when it turns translucent, then I change.

As you know I have never used Co2.
    There is a lot of confusion about Stability on some Forums. I contacted Seachem many years ago to sort out a few questionable postings re Stability.

It is not a live bacteria in the container but once it is added to your tank or filter the Ammonia in your water activates it and makes it an excellent good bacteria that will boost your good bacteria in your tank and filter.

Somewhere I could have a copy of the original reply.

8. Orlandog7

Please help me understand... Stability is for beneficial bacteria, right? My filter is already established and already has beneficial bacteria. When I make a water change, I need to suppress chlorine so it won't kill beneficial bacteria, hence I use a dechlorinator such as Prime. I sometimes use tap water, most of the time I use water that is already dechlorinated. I don't see the point in using an addictive that simply increases beneficial bacteria to an already established filter.

9. keithgh

Orlandog

That is one of the better questions you might see on Aquariums today.

To answer it fully I would have to be a Bio Chemist.

Here goes again info from Seachem (they were the Sponsor of a Forum where I was the Advisor) that made it very easy to get an answer.

The Bacteria in your filter is at the moment a ??? bacteria. As the stability is added it boosts the bacteria in your filter. As the bacteria ages and mutes its self it slowly weakens and is not the same as the original good bacteria making it not as efficient. The Stability corrects that and you then have a good bacteria back in your filter again .

If you require a more technical answer contact Seachem and I am sure they will assist you.

Orlandog7 likes this.
  10. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

So it basically [simulates] a nutrient bomb

xigtc and keithgh like this.
  11. keithgh

lucasgg

I have never heard of it that way before.
    That is why many call it a Biological Booster -- Bio Booster

12. xigtc

New filter equipment arrived this morning!! Also the grass seems to have perked up and I'm noticing more runners and tiny shoots!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG][​IMG]

kabriolet, keithgh and lucasgg like this.
  13. keithgh

xigtc

Now the grass is growing be very careful it does not take over and hide all your smaller rocks.

Its decision time very soon, are you going for the 100% wild look, a fully manicured look or both the wild and manicured effect

kabriolet and xigtc like this.
  14. xigtc

Leaning towards a mix. I've been reading up on how and when to cut the grass. Tonight I'm going to trim it up hopefully to promote filling in a couple spots and do a water change afterwards.

I'm very pleased with the Eheim 2211 filter.

kabriolet, keithgh and lucasgg like this.
  15. keithgh

Xigtc

One point to always remember when trimming "It will grow tall again" in other words you can see what looks best after a trimming if you don't like it just let it grow.

16. xigtc

Not much to report... I did trim everything and a day and a half later I noticed some brown sludge growing and green algae growing on the back side of the right rock. I'm staying on top of scrubbing and pulling it out with water changes.

[​IMG]

17. hektek.hn

hektek.hn New Member

not saying that this is your problem, but I had a similar situation...when I first bought my Co2 regulator, it seemed my timer wouldn't turn my solenoid on. Till one day I just left it on for about 30 minutes and realized that it actually takes 10 minutes to 15 minutes to actually see it bubbling. Some regulators just take a little longer then others to build sufficient pressure. Try it out hope it works......By the way if your looking for a good Co2 regulator with solenoid check out the Premium Aquatek Regulators. (not expensive and very solid)

kabriolet likes this.
  18. keithgh

xigtc
    One of the Co2 Experts might be able to help you. Post photo/s and as much information as you can about your system. All that information will certainly help them to assist you.

19. xigtc

No longer having CO2 issues... I shortened the amount of hose between the solenoid and the bubble counter so I get a more accurate ready and with the increased water flow it works quite well. Just battling algae at the moment since the trim.

kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  20. keithgh

xigtc

One concern fixed and another one to be fixed its just going to be a matter of try various things and by process of elimination you will have solved another concern.