1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

5ft Tank Scape Critique

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Harry Muscle, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Harry Muscle

Harry Muscle New Member

I'm working on an aquascape for my 5ft (18" front to back, 24" tall) tank and I'm looking for some input on the manzanita that I've put together so far.

I'm looking to create that feeling of it being the edge of a river. This will be a low maintenance tank with a large array of plants ... I'd say close to a jungle tank but a bit more manicured.

I'm trying a tree trunk style layout at the moment. I'm open to any and all suggestions, good or bad.

Here's a front shot. Ignore the rocks at the moment they are there just to hold things up. The wood planks are there to give a sense of where the gravel depth will be and to show the tank dimensions.

[​IMG]

Here's two side shots. The tank will be viewed mostly from this angle cause that's the direction of the sofa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the other side.

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? BTW, I will be adding rock work of some sorts using dragon (Ohko) rock.

Thanks,
    Harry

John Whatmough likes this.
  2. Harry Muscle

Harry Muscle New Member

Here's a few shots after I added some rocks ... the rocks were sort just thrown together to give some extra context to the wood. Not really sure what to think of this scape yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Harry

3. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

I think the dragon stone looks to carefully placed. Mabye need some more smaller roots too?

4. Harry Muscle

Harry Muscle New Member

I decided to try adding some branches to the escape. I also raised the gravel level to reduce the mangrove look I was getting. So in these pictures the bottom you see is going to be the top of the gravel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the branches are starting to give the scape a less artificial look, but I'm open to opinions, etc.

Thanks,
    Harry

John Whatmough likes this.
  5. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

Might be just me but the backdrop of all the things behind is distracting,maybe a full back board would help replicating back of tank size? The wood has character though

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Harry
    This might help me to explain a few points.
    I like what you are trying to create but your's looks all the same and its far from it.

I am not referring to any of your attempts as all have possibilities of developing into a good Aquascape, its all your wood is the same no variation in size, this can make your Aquascape uninteresting to look at.

Note that photo one vertical and the other leaning away to give it the natural appeal.

Your rocks can be used to support the trunks and how they slope, try not to be strict where you place them try to give them the natural appeal while they are supporting the DW.

Can you get plenty of twiggy pieces.

Keith:cat::cat:

John Whatmough and ShadowMac like this.
  7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I think for the most part you have done the best you can with the hardscape you have. Ideally, you will want to get more pieces, thick textured pieces or even a piece that is the base root section.

Time and some mosses will soften the sanded look of the pieces you have and lessen the artificial appearance. Unfortunately no amount of wizardry will compensate for the fact these pieces are doing you no favors in creating your vision.

I'd look to some examples of scapes similar to what you are attempting. Olive Knott did a nice simple tree base in the water type scape recently. Its a huge tank and quite cool. One big piece of trunk or wood.

If you are looking for more hardscape to better suit your plans I'd highly recommend reaching out to Tom Barr on facebook or via his forum The Barr Report. He does an outstanding job of getting good wood. The only place I get my manzy.

8. keithgh

Harry

At the moment I would completely re think your aquascape. Shawn has mentioned what you have is not helping you at all. Its time to start hunting for more DW but certainly not similar to what you have now.

9. Harry Muscle

Harry Muscle New Member

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Since I really would like to do a tree trunk scape I decided to see what I can do with the wood I have available.

Here's what I've put together so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure about the long root though. I might remove it. I'm also still playing around with adding more smaller roots at the base of the stump. Not sure if that might be too much wood though.

And I'm mostly stuck in figuring out how to incorporate some of the dragon rock I have into this scape.

Feel free to comment, offer opinions, suggestions, etc.

Thanks,
    Harry

10. keithgh

Harry

Can we start from the beginning please. Start by making a Mock Tank even if its made from Cardboard it does not matter, at the moment I have no idea of your tank size and where your hardscape fits in.

Sorry to say at the moment nothing is working at the moment. That does not mean it might work in a Mock tank with sand as the substrate.