1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

55gal and 32 gal

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by aquadoob, Nov 28, 2015.

1. aquadoob

aquadoob Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi everyone! I'm about 3 months into the hobby, 1 month of the 3 was spent reading up on it.

My first attempt was a 55gal Bowfront I had doing nothing.

uploadfromtaptalk1448747508000.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448747557955.jpg

After the 55 was finished, I caught the aquascaping bug and felt the need to get another tank. A Mr. Aqua 32 gal.

uploadfromtaptalk1448747683043.jpg

This is where I'm having trouble. I repositioned the top stone, but.. I feel that anubias is either too big, out of place, or doesn't belong. I'm still debating what plants to add as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1448747806034.jpg

I was initially going to do a HG carpet and also carpet the higher mounds with S. Repens. The wood would be wrapped in moss.

What's off?? The whole thing??? Any feedback and critique is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Sponsored link:

2. aquadoob

[​IMG]

kiam.cua likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

aquadoob

Welcome to ASW those tanks do not look like a beginner.

First photo 55g Bow fronted tanks are not the easiest to do especially for a beginner.

As usual I always start looking from the LH side and honestly I can say I was very impressed a few minor concerns but not to worry about.

Then I came to the end of those big well sculptured rocks, what do I see flat rocks totally uninteresting, next a pile of red scoria rocks that stand out like a red search light.
    Please think about changing those flat rocks and the red rocks, also continue the planting.

The 32g first photo
    A massive improvement to the 55g, this time a few concerns.

Back LH corner requires more height (rock and same DW) should work perfectly.

Then you put a full stop one red rock why??? its very distracting, plus one small red stone front RH ???

I don't normally say this but what a fantastic effort for a beginner well done.

Keith:):)

4. aquadoob

Thank you very much for your kind words and feedback! I also felt the red lava rock was a little bit of an eye-sore, but had it for the sole purpose of giving beneficial bacteria a front row seat to the buffet. I use lava rock for all my filtration systems. Keeps my water quality very high. My filter cannister has 2 big loads of it anyway, I'll pull them out.

Now, the flat Seiryu stones... what if I stood them up in the back RH corner, kinda covering the filter inflow? I could create a negative space by laying some sand in between and maybe lifting those back pieces of DW and having them face the same direction of the main branch? Still super new at this, so I'm not sure if I'm making sense or explaining it well.

"Keep planting" will do! But I'm kinda stuck on what to add. The LH side has all this wild majesty that tapers down to the RH side. It will be pretty flat once I remove the Lava rock. Any idea what plants culd work in that space? It has some shade.

32 gal - new pics. Also, I agree with you. That upper stone needs to be higher. I had tried with what I had... but seems I'll need to go grab some more aquasoil.

uploadfromtaptalk1448829031429.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1448829039270.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1448829047481.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1448829055224.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1448829066976.jpg

What would you suggest plant-based for that top LH area around the stone? (Once it's raised of course)

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to critique my tanks. I'm actually an artist, so emulating nature is easy. These scapes came spur of the moment without any planning haha.

I'm not so new to fish tanks or fish though, so maybe that's why it's easier for me to adapt. I also have a 500+ gal raised Koi tank that I built along with filtration. Sorry for the long reply. Thanks again!

uploadfromtaptalk1448829349525.jpg

5. aquadoob

I've cleared everything out except the S. Repens. I also have a flame moss wrapped piece of DW that isn't in either.

uploadfromtaptalk1448839903950.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448840017397.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448842827876.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1448842850252.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448842900445.jpg

6. keithgh

aquadoob,

Being an Artist explains every thing layout and balance it just required a little tweaking here and there.

One thing I think you have realized now you have the advantage of seeing all of the tank at the one time but when it a simple photo we have to envisage every thing which for many is very difficult.

I am a retired trade teacher who has done a lot of design work over all my working and teaching career.

Back to your Aquascape I would leave it alone and tweak it as it develops.

aquadoob likes this.
  7. aquadoob

Thanks again Keith! I'll post an update a little later. Not sure if the moss covered log fits in, or if I should remove and add more plants. Stay tuned!

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

aquadoob,

Keep us updated please.

9. aquadoob

Hmm.. not sure if I over did the river pebbles..

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Filled in the S. Repens carpet and added some Jungle Gal in the back RH corner. Not sure if I should extend the pebbles to cover that corner as well.. also, I moved the moss log further onto the pebbles and it seemed to balance it out. Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated! Thanks!

10. keithgh

aquadoob,

Pebbles???

Over done ???

I would prefer not to have them at all just the plants.

If you intend to use the pebbles sort them out and only use the gray ones similar colour to the main rocks.

Also if you have any small pieces toss them around and push them down a little bit.

If you do not have any small pieces can you get a small rock and smash it up.

Try to keep every thing the same not a totally different little area in one corner.

11. aquadoob

Got it! Brb, thanks again.

12. keithgh

aquadoob,

By tweaking it as the tank develops is always good as it ages all of a sudden you see something and wonder why you never noticed it before.

aquadoob likes this.
  13. kylumi

kylumi Aspiring Aquascaper

Great thread ......love where your going with your 32, Aquadoob. Listen to Keith he won't put you wrong buddy.;)

keithgh and aquadoob like this.
  14. aquadoob

Alright, got rid of pebbles/gravel. Graded the Aquasoil from low to high. Pulled out the moss log with the anubias attached and positioned the upper piece of DW a little higher. I left the Jungle Val in the corner and added more to the S. Repens carpet. Threw in some pygmy chain sword top LH as well.

Please let me know your thoughts and if any particular plant should be added. Thanks!

15. aquadoob

Oh! And added some anubias nana into the stones.

16. keithgh

aquadoob

That looks 100% better one point still there but only a minor detail and not worth trying to fix it.

Its a great little video it covers all the tank very slowly making it easier to follow.

the other is easy to remedy and only requires a very little work.

I would hide the air stone behind the plants and DW at the back of the tank, this will also give you a far better water circulation.

As a point of interest what air pump are you using it seems very strong?

17. aquadoob

Once again, thanks for the tips! I used to just like my scape. Now I love it!

Tied some Java Fern to the tips of the manzanita. Now looking at it, feels like I should move the Jungle Val over to the LH side behind the stone?

uploadfromtaptalk1449023070412.jpg

kylumi and keithgh like this.
  18. aquadoob

Oh! And I have a single Tetra Whisper 30-60 gal air pump feeding the 55 and the 32 gal. Each also have a regulator to raise or lower the amount of bubbles.

At the moment, I'm doing a journal to document my process for planting and having the tank cycled and fish ready in a week. Since I'm doing heavy CO2 right now, I want to have an equal amount of Oxygen in the water so the fish don't get nuked.

Combined with my leafy plants, the water will be very stable when I introduce fish into the tank several days from now.

uploadfromtaptalk1449023550534.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1449023570832.jpg

kylumi likes this.
  19. keithgh

aquadoob

Only to pleased to help you if you compare your first photo and that one there is no comparison, its a massive improvement.

20. keithgh

aquadoob

Just moving the air stone and air hose the tank looks completely different no distractions now.

Is there any way you can add a black or a marine blue backing this will hide what is behind your aquascape and highlight it even more.

The cheap vinyl stick on book cover does an excellent job.

aquadoob likes this.