1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

54l - Nature - Journal - Day 21

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Maciek, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Maciek

Maciek Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey there. I have decided to start a journal of my new aquascape. I set it up on 8 November and came back to my old 54l tank. The tank was filled with about 20l of RO water and the rest was tap water. No problems with the tank yet :daydream:

Basic specs:

Aquarium: 60/30/30cm - 54 litres
    Lighting: 2x18W Atman AT-70B - 2x18W Arcadia Freshwater, 9 hours daily
    Filtration: Eheim 2213 - EHFI Substrat Pro, sponge

Substrate: AquaArt Aqua Substrate (brown), ADA Aqua Gravel S
    CO2: Pressurized 1,5 kg, glass diffuzer, 1 bubble per second, 24h
    Fertilization: KH2CO3, Rataj Bioflor, Colour Fe+
    Water condition:
    10 Novemeber: pH 6.0 (! - probable reason - use of Aqua Substrate), GH 8, KH 5, NO3 10 mg/l
    30 November: pH 6.8, GH 9, KH 5, NO3 5 mg/l
    Hardscape: Seiryu Stones
    Plants:
    Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Green', Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Tropica', Eleocharis parvula, Glossostigma elatinoides, Ludwigia arcuata, Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala rotundifolia 'green', Staurogyne sp., Weeping moss
    Animals: Caridina japonica

Day 1 (photo took a few hours after set up):

[​IMG]

Day 21:

[​IMG]

All comments welcome!

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

I dont know about the foreground gravel. Like it is now, its disturbing a lot. I guess the plants need to dominate more before i can see how its gonna look.

Dont know if the most left stone fits. Its either too large or too close to the window.

3. Maciek

Anti-Pjerrot, thank you for the comment!

I just wanted to try something new. I hope that the gravel will create nice composition with the stones in some time. We will see ;)
    I know it doesn't look good now. But I put it there on purpose - we will see in couple weeks if it was a good idea.

4. Maciek

Time for an update.
    I moved Staurogyne sp. to the right side and on the left side I planted a few stems of Ludwigia arcuata. The plants are doing well, however I noticed some micronutrients deficiencies. I am going to make the first trimming today.
    I run out of Brighty K, so I dose KH2CO3 now. I also started dosing Rataj Bioflor and Colour Fe+ ferts (half dose).
    Two major problems are GTA and bacterial film on the surface. I added 10 Amano Shrimps, but they don't seem to be interested in algae :eyeroll: I am doing a 40% water change twice a week, we shall see how it goes.
    I guess that's all for now, here is the photo (Day 21):
    [​IMG]

Comments welcome!

5. Ricardo Monteiro

Ricardo Monteiro New Member

Hi there,

I think you'll have a problem with the seiryu stones. It's just that these stones increase the water total hardness dramatically. Not by chance that you have a total GH 9.. This high level can afect the plants growth as well as being harmfull to some species of fish and invertebrates, making them suffer from the osmotic pressure caused by the Ca and Mg ions dissolved in the water.
    It's easily solved with a softnizer or with lots of RO water. I prefer the first option.

Cumprimentos

6. Maciek

Thanks for the comment, Ricardo. Well I can't agree with you in 100%. I am now using RO water mixed with tap water. I noticed that Seiryu Stones increase the hardness but it is not a very big change, about 1-2 degrees. My tap water is quite hard - GH 17 and KH 9, and before I bought RO filter I had been using such water in my tanks. And no problems with the plants, even HC which is said to prefer soft water grew really nicely. So it is not true that plants do not grow well in hard water. The biggest problem with such water was (in my tanks) BBA which always appeared here and there. Now this problem is no longer a problem ;) Unfortunately GTA is...

7. Ricardo Monteiro

Hello,

Sorry but I cant agree with you 100% too.

Cause your tap water is already quite hard you dont notice a big change caused by the Seiryu, only 1 or 2 degrees maximum. In my case, tap water comes out with a KH 3 and a GH 4. Do you know how much these degrees escalate once in the tank with the seiryu? Over 8 german degrees...
    About the plants, it]s nice to know that HCC grows well with a GH 9. But try to grow Eleocharis or Rotala and you will know what I mean. They will grow, but the growth is much slower than in soft water, cause the higher GH makes it more difficult for plants to absorve the nutrients. The proof of this is that the glasses turn green quickly. By some reason, when you look at a Malawi biotope, you dont see many stem plants...:proud:

Cheers

8. Maciek

Well, probably you are right. I haven't used Seiryu with such a soft water.

Take a look at this picture:
    http://www.chesteraquarium.w.of.pl/adatank.jpg
    Actually Rotala and Eleocharis were the fastest growing plants, together with HC. And the GH was not 9, but 14.
    Don't get me wrong. I understand that soft water is good for plants but I haven't ever noticed any bigger problems with them using harder water. The only problem was BBA as I wrote above. So - it's good to have soft water in a planted aquarium but it's not a big deal if your GH is 15 or so - you can grow plants in good condition too!

9. Ricardo Monteiro

Hello,

Nice pic. Is it your's?

Yeah, sure. You can always make plants grow in good conditions, by using lots of RO water. From what I've experienced, plants grow much slower in these conditions, cammon... Dont you notice it in your tanks?

Cheers

10. Maciek

Thanks, yes it's mine ;)

Well... I didn't. The only reason I bought RO filter was BBA. But I am using rather easy plants, so with more difficult species the water hardness is probably more important.

11. Ricardo Monteiro

Hi

That]s my point. Some plants arent easy to maintain with such a GH, but in more general way, most of the plants growth is afected by this index.

I had the chance to see your other post with some of your tanks.. Congratulations! You have really nice ones there and it's easy to see how you evolved by the way how layout's were constructed form tank to tank.

Cheers, keep up the good work

12. Maciek

Thanks Ricardo, glad to hear that! So we've reached an agreement. Thank you for the discussion! ;)