1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

40 breeder aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by KristinM85, Apr 16, 2008.

1. KristinM85

KristinM85 New Member

This tank has been setup since January 2008 and has basically been the same since then. It is my newest tank and I am quite proud of it, though I know it is not nearly as good as some of the ones I've seen here and at APC and PT.net. :D I aspire to be as good an aquascaper as some of the greats.

Specs:
    AGA 40 breeder
    2x96w Coralife fixture 1 6700K bulb and 1 10,000K bulb
    Pressurized CO2 via powerhead
    Rena XP3 filter
    200w Stealth heater
    ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II substrate
    manzanita driftwood
    Dosing EI method

Plants:
    Rotala wallichi
    Bacopa caroliniana
    Didiplis diandra
    Rotala sp. colorata
    HM
    HC
    Dwarf Hairgrass
    Giant Hairgrass
    Ludwigia arcuata
    Fissidens fontanus

Fish:
    7 Rummynose tetras (adding 8 more eventually)
    4 Ember tetras (10 more coming this week)
    2-3 Apistogramma trifasciata
    2-3 Apistogramma viejita (got these and had 2 DOA...was sent 2 extras and most are young, so I'm not certain yet how many of each I have)
    10 Corydoras hastatus

This pic was taken a little less than a month ago:

[​IMG]

The stems never look that good after I trim them, so the pics I take are usually when they are pretty tall. I could improve alot in this tank and I'll be interested to see the comments and suggestions.

Here is a pic right after planting in January:
    [​IMG]
    My colorata was much redder when I got it. :)

Thanks for looking! Please don't be too harsh. :D

2. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

Hi Kristin, welcome to ASW.

I like your tank, the plant growth and health is amazing, the R. Wallichii is wonderful. Congrats and keep up the good work.

I'm not an expert by any means, so I can't offer good advice other than you can try to spread/trim the bushy plant in the middle (HM ?) to have more sense of depth. Maybe a little bush of blyxa japonica in front of the RW would be a nice addition. Just my .02.

Best regards.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Kristin, love the tank. Like Guillermo, I love the R. Wallichii, but also wish there was something in the dark spot in front of it. Your other plants look extremely healthy, and with a little trimming and cleaning up (especially the HM in the front), I think you'll have a scape more beautiful then it currently is. I would look to see if you can trim the plants so that there is more of a distinction, or visual line between the foreground, midground, and background. Other than that, it's a really nice scape.

I notice you had used ADA Amazonia II, I've heard it causes less murky, tinted water then the original version. Any truth to that?

-John N.

4. KristinM85

KristinM85 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I am on the same page as ya'll atleast. :) I have been trying to think of something to put in front of the Wallichi. I will definitely consider Blyxa.

The plants are currently trimmed (just sold a bunch) and are growing back in. I'm going to try to shape them a bit before taking a new pic. The HM bush has been hacked and looks alot better, but it definitely looks hacked right now, so I'll give it some time to recover before taking a new pic.

The Bacopa in the front left doesn't have to stay. I put that there not long ago after taking out Stargrass. I'm not sure I like it, since it is a fast grower and seems to hide my colorata.

Any suggestions on a replacement that doesn't grow as fast? I think that would help distinguish a midground there as well.

John, the Amazonia II definitely didn't cloud the water like Amazonia I did. It also doesn't release ammonia for the as long as Amazonia I does. I had Amazonia I in a 10g before I moved that tank to a 20 long and I had ammonia readings for awhile in there, even after planting a ton of stem plants. This tank was different with the Amazonia II.

5. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Nice tank you have and welcome.

About ammazonia 1 vx 2, I have found quite the opposite.

The 2 clouds my water and spikes ammonia for longer then the 1 did and the 1
    Funny, might have to do with my TAP, it is very hard.
    Also, I used the ADA sand for the first time, so maybe that has something to do with clouding? But the ammonia took a lot longer to spike and longer overall to cycle. I have other people in PHX that have said the same thing:ehhh:

6. KristinM85

KristinM85 New Member

Do ya'll have any suggestions for a plant to replace the Bacopa on the left? Whatever I put there will be more noticeable now, since the HM is trimmed and more under control than in that pic.

I was thinking that maybe Lobelia cardinalis might work? I want something that is slower growing so it won't totally hide the colorata. Or I guess I could just trim the Bacopa often. :)

I'm working on getting some Blyxa for in front of the wallichi.

This may need to be moved to the "Aspiring Aquascapers" section, since I'm trying to fix my scape. Feel free to move it if you see necessary.

7. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Nice looking tank you have. Great growing you got going on with your plants. I think Lobelia would look nice in there. I also agree that Blyxa in front of the wallichi would look good. Keep up the good work. Love your DW just wish i could see it a little bit more.

8. KristinM85

KristinM85 New Member

It has been awhile since the last pic was posted. The wallichi and arcuata on the right are out of control in this pic, but I am letting them grow out so I can trim and sell them. I added Blyxa not long ago on the right side and recently replanted the out of control HM and HC.

[​IMG]

Taken on 5/31. I'll try to update with a pic when the HC grows back in....and try to have the stems all trimmed at one time. ;)

The driftwood is more visible now (until the HM grows back in wildly), but my clay pot sticks out like a sore thumb.

9. iam_koi

iam_koi New Member

nice red arcuatas..but i love the didiplis diandra...

this is one healthy tank.

10. trenac

trenac New Member

I have a feeling this is going to be a really really nice tank when you get the plants trimmed like you want. It looks really good how it is now, the plant growth is over the top. Why not move the pot to the back where it can't be seen. Keep us updated.

11. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

It looks better Kristin now that you cleaned up the foreground a bit. The growth of that moss on the wood looks awesome! One thing I would try to adjust is the filter tube thats stuck right in the middle, moving it to the side will allow more focus on the scape rather than the filter tube :)