1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

30L "cube" - beginner

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Cip, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

If you want I could take a photo but I need to stop the filter, take out the intake and then remove one of the compartments, I want to do it at the next water change.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Cip

Its finer and collects more.

Most important as you wash it weekly you can replace any of the very old filter wool, what this does is you will never have a mini cycle like when you replace 50% of the filter foam.

Keith:):)

Cip likes this.
  3. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Here is an update :)

update-30days.JPG

I've added a few species of plants yesterday, now the jungle is ready to grow. I will start dosing some fertilizers: PPS PRO and Trance Mix.

I have some Black Bar Endlers, one pair of Blue Moscow Guppy, 5 RCS, 3 normal ancistrus, 2 ancistrus longfin, 3 ramshorn snail.

What do you think ?

Cheers.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  4. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

gonna be the jungle soon :D
    couple of guppy , big family .

Cip likes this.
  5. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

I hope so :)) otherwise I'll have to tear it down and start from scratch :)

6. keithgh

Cip

Keep it well trimmed and it will thicken up very quickly.

Guppies and Endlers I believe they should not be in the same tank as they can cross breed and you will end up with ??? cross breeds.

Keith:cat::cat:

7. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Every 2 days I'm looking for dead leafs and what plants need trimming, for now I only have to prune the floating plants, break the baby ceratopteris thalictroides and cut the dead leafs, soon I will have to cut the edges of the moss. Every week I'm donate some of the floating plants because they are going crazy.

Yep I know but I will let the fry in the tank and if they survive I will not give them away or sell them. It's a long story how I ended up with endlers and guppys in the tank :) but when I will want to breed pure endlers or pure guppy I will buy a smaller tank and separate them. I know it's not KIS but I like both blue moscow and endler species so it's hard for me to decide which one to keep for now :).

A friend convinced me to make a co2 bomb what do you think, should I do it or not ? :)

Best Regards,

8. keithgh

Cip

Before very long you will have an over populated tank then you will have to make a decision.

What I has seen about DIYCo2 if you are very experienced in water chemistry its a yes if you are not sure its a massive no.

Co2 is only required if you want to have a Hi Tech tank.

I managed to grow plants very successfully for many years with out any Hi Tech equipment.

There are some very good quality units on the market and far less trouble to use BUT quality costs.

Keith :cat::cat:

kylumi likes this.
  9. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Yeah I know quality pays but I don't think you need to invest in a CO2 system that will run for a nano tank this is my opinion, I will see what happens in the next 2 months and decide if I will go hi-tech on a nano or not, that if I don't get a bigger tank lol. Taking into consideration that my tank isn;t a display tank I think I will not go nuts with the hi-tech stuff, as you said it's a pain in the ass :).

BR.

keithgh and kylumi like this.
  10. kylumi

kylumi Aspiring Aquascaper

I totally agree with you about the use of CO2................success is all about light;)

keithgh and Cip like this.
  11. keithgh

Cip

Being a Mod I could not say that so I will say perfectly said.

Co2 is fantastic if set up and, run perfectly using quality equipment.

12. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Every tank works differently :), some have good lights and it works, some have not so good lights but good substrate and it works, some have good lights, good substrate, good CO2 system and works and so on :), the thing is to experiment with your tank and see what works for your tank, this is what I've learned from the experience of others.

Even if I decide to use a CO2 bomb I will just do it to see if that works for me and afterwards invest in a good CO2 system, but for the time being I'm okish. Only problem that I see is with AR mini, it doesn't turn red like I saw in the display tank of the guy that I bought the plants. I read that red plants need better lights to turn red, also iron is a factor. I will move the AR mini to a more intense lighting area of the tank, now it's under a branch of the driftwood and a small amount of light is reaching the plants and see what happens after few weeks. If that doesn't work I will check the levels of iron, PO4 and nutrients to see if everything is ok.

Patience patience patience :)

13. keithgh

Cip

Before you make any decisions I would do a lot of research on Quality Co2 units.

From the members who have used both they would never go back to any DIY.

14. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Good advice and I agree with you.

15. keithgh

Cip

I have been with Aquariums for many years and there is always someone trying a DIY long before they even understand it then asking questions how to fix it.

One thing Roy has told me a quality Co2 is easy to run and adjust as required not like some DIY have to be adjusted regularly.

Cip likes this.
  16. kylumi

I would never entertain or recommend using a DIY CO2 system on any of my tanks for the very reason Keith mentions..............Adjustment and Control.

Aquarists are a bit like leemings.....someone decides that planted tank water must be injected with CO2 for it to become successful. Before you know it everyone is following suit, even though heavily planted tanks (without CO2 injection) have been merrily growing away for over 100 years.

In a well balanced tank, supplemented by fertilizers, good substrate, and the correct lighting you can grow anything, including Hemianthus callitrichoides. You just need to understand a little of how the plant photosynthesis process takes place.

However, the inclusion of CO2 injection will boost growth rates lot quicker to produce lush green looking results.
    So if you can afford to fork out approximately £120 you will get yourself a really nice twin gauged, solenoid controlled system and everthing you need to go with it.

If you go for any kind of CO2 injection, you will need to work out the BPS best suited for your aqaurium set-up. I've seen many post's here and there, where members are asking for advice on how many BPS are needed for thier tanks. There is no straightforward answer because it depends on your KH and pH levels. High KH values require more CO2 to reduce the pH, (warning: you cannot arbitarily dissolve CO2 to reduce pH). There are plenty of colour coded chart guides around the WWW which will help you find the optimum settings you require.
    Another important factor to remember, CO2 does not reduce Oxygen levels, but surface agitation will dispel the CO2. In other words leaving your airstone or water bar on during the night-time without continuing your CO2 injection kind of defeats the object.;)

17. keithgh

Kylumi if only the want to DIY would read and understand your fantastic reply, the reply is usually the same $$$$ and I will get one later.

Cip and kylumi like this.
  18. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Nice reply man. The thing is I'd never do anything before documenting it, but even with documentation in case of a "natural ecosystem" nothing is predictable, so we can discuss here tons of other people recipes but without experimantation you will never see the process in action. Sure some say 1BPS is good maybe 2BPS but that's crap because he doesn't have your setup and so on.

I never started the idea to have a DIY CO2 because I don't have patience and I want to see the plants develop faster, I read the methods for a DIY CO2 and was curios and I still want to experiment.

I already have a KH testing kit also the charts and a pH test kit, ofcourse I will not do it blindly and see what happens and I also know that pressurized CO2 is far more better and controllable.

Also I've read that there are methods to controll the DIY CO2 also.

If you have time look at this DIY CO2 setup and let me know what do you think.

I don't want to argue with you, I say this maybe you will understand wrong my reply, I just want to learn as much as possible and also experiment with everything. Because I don't want/need to buy a good CO2 system which costs here in my country around £145 to see how the plants develop when you add CO2 in your ecosystem I found out about the DIY CO2 and wanted to know your opinion :)

Cheers!

kylumi and greenfinger 2 like this.
  19. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Cip,

The system on the Video works well other members use it with great success (y)
    DIY Co2 Can be done if you have the time to fiddle and adjust it and make the mix up regularly :D

I did DIY C02 for two years and had success growing plants :) Great learning Curve but it became a PITA in the end :LOL::LOL: So I changed over to a pressurised system:love::love: I will never go back now ;)

kylumi likes this.
  20. kylumi

Hey Cip,

I cannot disagree with you about the cost differences between the 2 systems, including the running costs.
    All I'm saying is DIY is not a route I would personally go. Like I said I would not recommend it for my tanks.
    I know thier are plenty of guys out there who successfully use DIY CO2
    I think Joey's new DIY video is probably the best one to folllow.

Attached Files: