1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

30L "cube" - beginner

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Cip, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

So here are my parameters:

pH - 7.5
    NO2 - 0.6 mg/l
    NO3 - 1 mg/l
    NH4/NH3 - 0.05 mg/l

I did a 20% water change on monday.

My tap water pH is 7.3. There is a high concentration of nitrites. Please advise.

Sponsored link:

2. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

From what I've read the pH level are a bit higher in the cycling period so I don't worry about that.
    The nitrite levels are high because the cycling is in faze 2 when the proper bacteria is developing so the nitrite to be transformed in nitrate, is this true ?

I wanted to add 1 or 2 ancistrus this week, it's good that I've done the tests because I think the nitrite level would have killed them. Maybe some frequent small water changes will decrease the level of nitrite ?

Currently I'm doing 2x20% water changes per week.

The plants are doing awesome, as you've seen in the last update, no algae problem yet. I'm dosing 0.5ml of EasyCarbo.

Thank you!

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Cip

Ph would drive you crazy trying to adjust plus it would upset the Cycling Process, you are doing the correct thing looking and leaving alone.

I would get Seachem Stability and double dose after each 30% water change, you should notice the change within a week.

Do not add any thing until it has been fully cycled for at least two weeks then add a few very hardy fish first.

Keith:):)

4. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Yep I wont do anything about the pH, I've read some stuff about lowering the pH but I'll keep that info for the future if needed.
    I'll buy that product as soon as I can I'll be away for a few days so I think it will happen next week and I will start dosing then.

I though that if plants are doing well how bad can the fish do :)), I wanted to take advantage of an oportunity to get 1-2 young ancistrus from a local fellow aquarist in exchange for some plants, but I will postpone it.

Thanks!

5. keithgh

Cip

A few cheap hardy fish for a few months will certainly check every thing first, plus it will keep your filter active.

Cip likes this.
  6. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

Amonia nitrite , patience .
    ceratophyllum , floating plant , or product .

7. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Hello isla,

I have some ceratopteris thalictroides, I've heard that it feeds of of nitrates, fast growing plant so it should absorb that, and as for floating plants I have limnobium laevigatum, I don't know for sure, some say that is pistia, maybe you can identify it better:

floating.jpg

8. keithgh

Cip

Plenty of leafy plants will always help with the Cycling process.

9. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

I think I have like 16 - 17 species of plants in there :)). I'll have to update my tank info soon.

10. keithgh

Cip

That will certainly help.

11. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

put some temporally in the tank . the plant show in the pict is useful :) and more manageable than duck weed .
    they suck N , in all form NH,NO.

12. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Already in :)

floating2.jpg

13. keithgh

Cip

Keep it under control at all times continually check your filter inlet and the impeller as they can easily get blocked as well.

14. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey Keith,

Will do, the plant is going crazy I will donate some of it soon :). The inlet of the filter is closer to the bottom of the tank, 2/3 from the top I guess it is safe but I'm always checking for other debris.

15. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

Ok guys, so I've added Tetra SafeStart on friday, Seachem doesn't have a distributor here in my country so the guys from the local fishstore advised me to buy the product from Tetra, I don't know if it's good or not but it did it's job the nitrite levels are going down. Took a test a few minutes ago and the readings are NO2 - 0,1 mg/l, which I find amazing, only 2 days since using Tetra SafeStart.

16. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

One question, I've read alot about cleaning the filter, but I didn't find an answer to my question, how often to I need to clean the sponges from the filter. I've cleaned one of them in the water taken out from the aquarium, I haven't squeezed it just rinsed it with care. I did that because I've noticed that the power of the filter was a bit diminished. I guess I did a good thing. Maybe you guys can give me an advise on that.

My filter is Aquael Aquamax 2, a hang on filter, it has 2 compartments with only sponges.

Thank you!

17. keithgh

Cip

Tetra is a very well known brand name and should be OK.

Depending on your tank size and every thing in it don't be surprised if yours is fully cycled in
    7-10days.

REMEMBER you can look at your Ph as a matter of interest only do not on any account try to adjust it leave it alone that is a BIG MUST.

Its when some start adding this and that because they saw it on the WWW can run into many weeks.

18. Cip

Cip Aspiring Aquascaper

As a beginner it's very frustrating to "hunt" for good information, the www is filled with good info but also bad info, more bad info that good.

I was just curios if the product works that's why I took the test :), I want to do all the tests on tuesday to see what's happening.
    Question: the guys from the fish store recommended me to use a water conditioner, they said that the tap water is a bit dangerous not all the time but a few years back they told me that a lot of aquarists from the area lost their tanks because of the tap water. What do think should I start using such product ?

Thanks.

19. keithgh

Cip
    [​IMG]

This was my HOB for the 45lt tank.

HOB's have one major fault when you replace the sponge you will have a mini spike.

To remedy that I started to change my filtration medium, as you can see I started to add filter floss from the bottom.

I suggest you cut one of the sponges in half horizontally and replace it with the rinsed in old tank water at next water change.

Wash and keep the other half.

At the next water change remove the other half and add more filter floss.

Next water change cut the other sponge in half again and replace it with the filter wool.

Finished.

What you should have the container 3/4 full of filter wool and a thin piece of sponge on the top.

The sponge holds the wool down and stops any filter wool returning into the tank.

At every water change wash the filter medium and sponge including the impeller.

As the filter wool ages you can just replace those small pieces as required, and when the top piece of sponge gets too old replace it as well.

Also add a single dose of your bio starter to your change over water this will keep your good bacteria healthy.

20. keithgh

Cip

Just I case I have to change a few things can I have a few photos of your HOB please.