1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

300L First Attempt Iwagumi

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Evicene, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Evicene

Evicene New Member

Hi all,

I've had a tank for around a year now, and recently became inspired to try the iwagumi style as i love japanese culture.

Here's my tank currently (plants are in netboxes so they remain wet but out of the way):

300L Jebo curved glass tank
    1x UV plant growth globe
    Jebo Power head attached to an overhead drip filter and air pump
    - 220/240V
    - 50Hz
    - 18/20w
    - 450 L/H
    300w submergable heater
    Eheim External filter attached to an Under gravel filter
    - 240 V
    - 50Hz
    - 20W
    - 1000 L/H

Current Plant list:
    - Dwarf Hair grass
    - Java Fern
    - Anubus
    - Chain Sword
    - Duckweed
    + a few others I cant remember the name of lol

Plants on order:
    - Riccia
    - HC (hemianthus callichtroides)
    - and more of the grass plant seen at the bottom of the image

Hardscape rocks are from a freshwater river in Australia
    I am going to use the gravel thats already in the tank along with a white gravel to create some kinda of channel or something like that.

I am not sure if i should use the driftwood or just stick to rocks?

I'd love some advice along the way as im not quite sure how this style is suppost to work :proud:

Attached Files:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

traditional iwagumi is made with only 3 stones and no drift wood.
    but maybe you can try some different hardscape options and share them with us.

3. Evicene

Evicene New Member

oh ok, ive seen quite a few with more then 3 stones (especially larger aquariums) are these non-traditional styles?
    thankyou jur4ik :)

4. Evicene

Evicene New Member

Day 2 - Hardscape

Hey everyone,

i formed the hardscape today and added the white gravel to form the channel i was talking about in the first post. I took me around an hour to position and set all the rocks in place and add in the white gravel carefully.

I thought the combining of the two gravel types would have been hard to keep seperate, but it was actually rather easy. I used a scoop and slowly scooped it into the tank and spread it out with my hands.

i think i need some inbetween sized pebbles ( between the size of the small pepples and the gravel )?

Heres the updated images:

Please tell me what you think [-o<

Attached Files:

5. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Looks like the rivers out here in California... with the large substrate size you may have problems with rooted plants. mosses and rhizome plants will probably work alright though..

6. Jurijs mit JS

hc and eleocharis are rhizom plants, so imo he schouldn´t have problems with plants.
    the problem i see, is that he has no nutritions in his substrate.

what is about co2 and liquid ferts?

7. Evicene

Evicene New Member

Ive never had any problem with plants attaching themselves :) they root through the gravel or the undergravel filter. I will also be tieing some of the plants to the rocks

Im am going to purchase a Nutrafin CO2 natural plant system and i use fert pellets which are place near or with the plant roots when planted (so in the gravel). They slowly release nutrients and last quite a while :)

( she btw lol )

8. Jurijs mit JS

well, dont know what to say about the "Nutrafin CO2 natural plant system" as a co2 source, in my eyes co2 must come from a DIY method or pressurized bottle.

Fert pellets in the substrate migh be ok for heavy rooting plants, but carpet plants as HC take most of the nutrients out of the water, to have greater succes i would use liquid micro and macro fertilizer, there is an all in one solution like tpn+

9. Evicene

Evicene New Member

Nutrafin CO2 natural plant system is the same at the DIY (pressurized bottle) method

I will definatly try the liquid fert :)

10. Jurijs mit JS

if i am honest, i never tried such nutrafin .. but i´m a bit confused about how it works so thats just not my case :) maybe you can report us how it works ;)

11. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

It's just a very small bottle that you put yeast/water ect in, just like a diy system except that the yeast and various additives are premixed and in a little packet for you.

12. Jurijs mit JS

oh oh .. i´m so stupid :D
    sorry guys i confused this thing with something called like electro carbo source. there is metal pellet and with some electricity it achieves co2 ..
    i googled for "Nutrafin CO2 natural plant system" and the pictures looked similar to the other thing i described above..

:D

13. Evicene

Evicene New Member

haha thats fine Jur4ik :)
    i had alot of problems with the DIY bottle ( the yeast went up the tubing and into the tank everytime i tried it ) the nutrafin system is exactly the same ( the packets sold with it just contain yeast and bi-carb soda ) its just alot less messy :)

ive had a few problems with getting plants... riccia is on order and i cant get any HC in australia atm... anyone have any for sale? :)

14. Jurijs mit JS

i tried hc in my iwagumi - without succes :( it melted all away..
    actually glosso and eleocharis parvula make the flora of it - i actually do some experiments trimming glosso, it do works :)

maybe i will try hc again next scape

15. Carolina

Carolina New Member

I think potassium nitrate would be beneficial. You can buy a lb. of this fert for aprox. $3 here in the states. For plants need a lot of potassium and nitrates are used by some to get rid of algae.

Why waste your money on a system when you can build one. For there are always other items to buy for a planted tank.
    Here are links for diy Co2:
    http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3
    http://www.youtube.com/user/slntsteve

16. Evicene

Evicene New Member

Thanks for the links carolina :) but i think for me to buy all the parts (especially because they would have to be ordered from overseas) it would be just as cheep and easy to buy a system pre-build... especially as i have tried a DIY CO2 system before and it destroyed my tank :(

17. Jurijs mit JS

DIY ferts are usefull if you have many or a very big tank. if you only have a small one just be comfortable and buy one ;)