1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

30 cm 3.5 gallon nano

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ShadowMac, Aug 26, 2017.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Long time since I put a journal up. I have several projects going most of the time just never get around to putting anything up since my phone usually has all the photos.

My youngest brother was visiting my family and I for about a month this summer to do some job shadowing before applying to grad school. He's been interested in scaping for a while but finally started getting his hands dirty with some hardscape work while here. Spent half a day working with stones. When went home he left some stones in the garage setup in the little tank. The next day as I pulled in I saw them and started to adjust what he had done. The final result was pretty good so I had to plant it. I will likely give him the scape when I visit over the holidays.

I wish I had taken a photo of what the stones looked like before I started working on it so I could show how the adjustments changed the look. In general he made many typical beginner mistakes. Stones were sitting too vertical, lack of shadows and angles, lack of balance, etc. A couple tilts and small movement to some of the stones changed it greatly. I also added to stones for balance.

First started with Pa-Hai.

Then to Seiryu.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

keithgh, Zeus, Nigel95 and 3 others like this.
  2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Very nice Shawn. Scaping nanos throws up a set of unique challenges...paradoxically big and bold seems to work well.

ShadowMac likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn

You have managed to get a good balance of the big bold rocks and all the other sized rocks. The planting should soften it all up a little.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

some updates. This is a super easy scape. A little CO2 added, very minimum fertilizing. The carpet has grown in thick and I am contemplating seeing what happens if I pull the CO2. It might be okay or it might melt back.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  5. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Looking good Shawn, pulling the CO2 might work if you tapper it out over a couple of weeks.

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

I fully agree with Tim always go gradually when adjusting additives its far easier to get to the correct adjustment.

Keith:cat::cat:

7. keithgh

not required