1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

29g overhaul

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Rmac, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Kinda wish this peice was being used as a tree but oh well, there will be more scapes ;)
    [​IMG]

Here's the scape, the DW isnt waterlogged after boiling it as i thought they would be :mad: so I'll be filling the tank slowly, may make a few minor changes. SOrry for the terrible lighting, phone battery was too low to use flash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nick.scott and kinyko like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I am never a believer in boiling DW unless it requires it, all it does is break down the hard outside surfaces.

To hold it down a few good sized rocks will do.

Just soak it for a longer period and change the water often.

I would swing the LH end a little so that is pointing more towards the front LH corner.

Keith :):)

3. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks.Keith I think I'm going to push the lh most piece a little to the right.i like to boil my wood just to be safe that there's nothing living in it

4. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

I hate flourite, I've been rinsing it for hours, I think I'm just going to guy get some sand to cap it this stuff just does not want to make clear water.

5. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

nice dw. my only wish is that those dw were place in a bigger tank and, branch edge cut slanting looks better.my humble opinion.

6. keithgh

Rmac

I have about 20-30% Fluorite mixed through my deep 1-3mm substrate and it was never a problem

I finely sieved it using a fine kitchen strainer and after I had sieved it all I ran tap water through a sieve full until it ran clean.

Never a problem

Sand will give you more trouble than its worth.

Take it all out spread it very thinly and dry it out in the sun complexly, then start the sieving method.

Keith:):)

7. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

finally got this baby running and I couldnt he happier with how it turned out! drum roll

Final Hardscape setup
    [​IMG]

Here it is planted and filled, THe wood was not all waterlogged so you might notice that the back left piece of DW is currently at the top of the tank and there are rocks that I will remove after they sink. I may not put the back LH DW back I might just put some stem plants in its place
    [​IMG]
    Keith, I'm awaiting your expert opinon/criticisms!

Quick question, how much cycling do I have to do(if any)? the filter is from my other established tank and so is about 30% of the substrate.

I took your advice with the DW edges, it was cut flat when I bought it so I took some heavy hedge trimmers and cave them a quick whack, it broke it more so than cut it but that's kinda what I was going for

kinyko, greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  8. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Also the lights on it are temporary I will probably be hanging a bunch (8?) of CFLs above it

9. keithgh

Rmac

Cycling that is always the Big Question the answer is simple ????? every tank is different.
    It should be kicked along with a good Bio Starter Eg Seachem Stability, Plenty of live leafy plants is also very helpful.

Unless you are using the ADA substrates do not do any water changes until the Cycle has finished.

If you follow all the rules 2-3 weeks maximum if you start adding bits and pieces to help (other that what you have done) it could go on for months.

Now for that tank I only see one problem that monster of a rock bottom LH corner it looks like a massive full stop where as its the starting point of your eyes as they go over every little point very slowly.

Please do me and your self a great favour take it out.

10. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Don't worry keith that rock is only there until the dw stays down :)

11. keithgh

Rmac

To be honest I thought that at first but the tank looks like its been there for some time.

If it will not stay down screw using high grade SS screws and a piece of slate cover the slate with substrate and no one but you and me will never know may be a few others who read this post.

12. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Rmac,Looking good:D Love the DW :)(y) Cheers roy

13. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you Roy

14. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

IMO, water changes are very helpful in getting the plants established and adjusted to your tank conditions in the beginning. So, I recommend frequent water changes the first few weeks. It will pay dividends later. They are more imperative when using aquasoil because of the ammonia spikes. I, too, like the use of a biostarter. If you have any mulm from a tank already running that is a great addition to your new filter to get things rapidly jump started.

15. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

thanks for the info shawn, but the filter, all the plants and about 50% of the substrate came directly from an already established tank and weren't left out of water for more than a couple minutes,I've had no problem with ammonia or nitrates and decided to go ahead and add my fish so far so good!

16. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

well there you have it, you wont have a cycle. best way to do it when possible.

17. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Just a quick update:
    FTS, tanins are making the water a little yellow but I'm not to worried about it, got a big WC scheduled for tomorrow
    http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b486/Ryan_MacNeil/20130610_124924_zpscb82a2c4.jpg?t=1370894308
    (for some reason it looks like photobucket wont let me copy the image this time)

Payday can't come soon enough so I can get working on that new light fixture, heres what i currently have, one CFL clip on and a 2 tume 24in t5HO,very ghetto looking http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b486/Ryan_MacNeil/20130610_124929_zpsde5306b9.jpg?t=1370894290

I saw this guy at petco and I had to have him, so far so good in the community tank (shrimp,endlers, and neon tetras) if he becomes a problem I'll set him up a nanohttp://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b486/Ryan_MacNeil/20130610_125229_zps168816d9.jpg?t=1370894248

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  18. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Quick update

Here's a FTS, Next time I should probably pick up the stuff infront of the tank haha, its almost in need of a trimming, I wouldve cut the DHG yesterday but i couldn't find my tank scissors
    [​IMG]

Can anyone ID this plant? I bought it from petco labeled as "needle leaf rotala" but after a google image search that doesnt seem to be right, its tiny but i kinda like it
    [​IMG]

Nother angle [​IMG]

I dropped 1 male and one female RCS in here and they started multiplying like crazy, all the offspring are very red and grow fast, Opposite of how they are in my shrimp breeding tank so I guess I must be doing something wrong.
    [​IMG]

And they didnt show up in any pictures but I have about 10 Endlers livebearers in there plus Tupac(the Betta).
    Thanks for looking :D

keithgh likes this.
  19. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Rmac, Coming together;) Now the plants are filling out :) And yes you are a messy pup:D Plus forgetful did you find your scissors :oops: (y)Cheers roy

20. keithgh

Rmac

Its over grown, untidy BUT a massive BUT it looks so natural it will not down well with the Purists.

Do not spoil the natural look the trick now is to trim it lightly without losing its natural looks.

Its the type of tank I could sit down and watch for a long time and not get tired looking at it.

Its a Shrimps paradise.

With the filter cover the inlet with a filter sponge otherwise you will find them in the filter and usually dead.