1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

29g overhaul

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Rmac, Apr 4, 2013.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Rmac

Only one way to find out, give one a very good scrub in clean water then soak it for a few weeks and see what happens, it just might change a bit in its colourings.

Keith:):)

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

hi Rmac, nice rocks love them don't think rust will be a prob its just oxidation of iron within the rock ;) cheers roy

3. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

After doing some reading it doesn't seem that rust will be a problem. However, there is a spot of pyrite AKA fools gold on one of the rocks which IS bad. I'm not sure if I should just lop that part off and use the stones or avoid them altogether.

4. greenfinger 2

hi Rmac, that' not good :( if you lop a bit off how much still inside rock:eek: that contained Arsenic may well leach into water :unsure: if you soak in water how can you test o_O??????? maybe someone knows more:coffee: cheers roy

5. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Pyrite contains arsenic?

6. greenfinger 2

I know ,but if in rock:eek: as you said not good:cautious: so how do you test Quartz for Arsenic in water:( apart from killing something (not the wife) ;) cheers roy

nick.scott likes this.
  7. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Ok after no info forever here's one possible hardscape idea.I'm going to buy some manzanita wood tomorrow night and after looking at the pictures I realize the left side needs more substrate under the piece of wood. criticisms always welcomed, however I can't really work on it tonight because it is outside and I don't have any lights.

EDIT: maybe I should actually post pictures lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. keithgh

Rmac

Not necessarily you could use piece/s of slate and create an underground retaining wall, that would stop any slippage and look very natural

The over all concept is very good but it is spoilt by that piece of uninteresting driftwood, one thick trunk and one thin piece.

9. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks for the input as always keith! i really only like it because of the root mass on the bottom.I'm going to be buying some Manzanita tonight so hopefully i can get some more scaping done!

10. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Ok Keith, I know it's been a while since I've updated this (been out of town and working a lot) but here's a new scape idea. Note: ignore all rocks one is used to hold up my cardboard and all little ones are just mixed with my "substrate"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  11. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

After sitting on it for a couple hours I don't like the layout quite as much as a did at first, I think the from RH piece needs to go out more instead of straight up and the back piece (which looks like2) isn't right.

12. keithgh

Rmac

Seeing that Drift Wood is big and bold it might also work as a centre piece and keeping it upright or the old 1/3rd in RH side and 2/3rds back from the front and give it a good lean over resting on a big rock or a scattered pile of rocks.

The smaller bits and pieces could be scattered as well.

Its try something take a photo, see if you can improve and take more photos, do this as many times as you can by doing that all of a sudden it will happen.

13. greenfinger 2

Hi Rmac, love that DW fantastic shape.Nice piece :)(y) Cheers roy

14. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks for the input fellas. Greenfinger2, its actually 3 pieces of wood so i have a little freedom with them:) Keith I can't quite visualize what you were saying about resting it on a rock or rocks but I'll give it a try! I'll definitely try to get at least one new layout done tomorrow before work.

15. keithgh

Rmac

Its a look and see and you will be able to tell very quickly.

It will have to look like a big old tree and its big branches have fallen over and resting on the rocks.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  16. greenfinger 2

Hi Rmac ,Three is Good :) Can play around with the shape and form more :cool: Think you on to a winner here (y) love the up dates ;)(y) Cheers roy

17. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

So I decided to try out a "root" scape with rocks, note that the actual tank will have more substrate than this, One thing I dont have enough of in my yard is dirt haha. Anyways heres the pictures sorry for so many but I think I like the last set up although I'll sit on it for a little before I commit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the picture overload :p

18. greenfinger 2

Hi Rmca Love the update :) Never to many pics :D Like No 7 No 8 Plus 9 ;) Maybe some of the same rocks running along the back. And smaller one's between the fallen DW . Just a Idea :)Cheers roy

19. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

good idea Roy, I'll take a hammer and smash one up if I can find one. On the final scape the rocks will all be buried a little under the substrate

20. keithgh

Rmac

WOW
    What a selection there are minor to big changes in all of those Aquascapes.

I prefer 1, 4, 5, 6 & 7

I was not taking particular notice of the rock placement as its secondary to the old wood.

My suggest you start selecting the number one now and set it up in the tank, (no rocks) until you get it 110% right, then start playing with the rocks and that is where the fun starts a simple move can either make or break the complete Aquascape.

A few suggestions.

1 Rough Gravel will suit it better.
    You can a good substrate first then cover it will all that very rough gravel.

2 Rocks the Grey rocks do not match the gravel this is a very common mistake it looks far more natural if all the rocks and gravel are the same shades.
    Reason being the small rocks are just broken up big rocks.

All you will require is no more than "3" good rocks positioned correctly.

Then scatter the smaller bits and pieces.

Remember no rock ever sits on top to give it a natural look bury the base of the rock again a more natural look.