1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

29g overhaul

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Rmac, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Hello everyone, my 29g tank needs a rescape badly. i use ADA aquasoil and a 2 24in t5HO light fixture (I know I should use more) I run DIY co2. I am planning on doing this tomorrow but I need a couple opinions on this DW

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b486/Ryan_MacNeil/20130404_000835_zps17b8c869.jpg?t=1365059829
    http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b486/Ryan_MacNeil/20130404_000842_zps240c4494.jpg?t=1365059819

These are the peices I'm planning on using and setup in a similar way, theres actually 4 of the, the bottom 2 in the center arent connected to the others. my questions is are these big enough for this tank? or should i use both of them one one side of the tank? I also have a 40b sitting around that I might use instead of the 29 I will be using most of the plants already in the tank

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Rmac

Its a bit hard to tell that way as it will be totally different in the tank.

Keith:):)

3. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

pls allow me to show you tank scape. thanks for sharing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you Mr-ed and Keith thats what i figured. I have them boiling right now again I'm trying to get rid of the tanins but i think Ill actually just set up the 40b instead of this tank

5. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

quick update. I will be using the 40b instead. I just ripped the rim off and now comes the fun of scraping silicone, depending on how long this takes I may not get to scaping today

6. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Finished de rimming the 40gal.its no ADA but for 1/5 the price I'm happy with it. Now to start scaping! 20130405_163724.jpg

7. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Here are some terrible pictures of a couple scapes. I still need to go out and collect stone, maybe tonight.sorry these pictures are terrible quality I'll try to put a background against it

8. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Pictures didn't load from phone.I'll email them and try from computer soon

9. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm sorry I didnt realize there would be SO MANY. please tell me which you like best or if they all suck :p Like I said I might go collect rocks tonight and try a mountain scape or a rock/wood scape
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. keithgh

Rmac

I prefer only the 4th and the last as they appear to have the better chance of becoming something.

With the other thee are basics faults in practically all of them, its either balance or positioning.

Its only in the early stage yet.

One big tip tape a backing of a simple pale blue cardboard and then I can see it a lot better.

11. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

My only thing is this hardscape leaves too much open space, I think I need rocks

12. keithgh

Rmac

I was referring to the positioning of the Driftwood nothing else.

Over all the last one has a better chance of developing into a very good Aquascape.

Rocks that is where the fun comes in you require the correct shapes, features, and positioning working on less is best.

13. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

I want to try to do a mountain but I think it'll be hard since I cant afford anymore substrate right now than what is in there :/ after I tear down the 29g I'll have that aquasoil but I'm not sure I want I want to mix it with this flourite(which I cant say I'm a fan of so far but I haven't seen it grow plants!)

14. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

hi there Rmac i like last one to(y) just love that open space :cool: but as Keith said early stages:) nice start (y)cheers roy

15. nick.scott

nick.scott Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey, I don't know if you should have de-rimmed your 40 gallon. Seems very risky, I've read about tanks that big starting to bow and of course there will be a chance of cracking/breaking. Sorry man :p

Also, I think you should try and find bigger driftwood, right now there's too much empty space for my tastes. When I was looking for the perfect pieces, I just went to fish shops and asked if I could see what they had in the back (they usually have bunches of driftwood and rocks that they keep in storage)

16. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Nick Scott. I've researched it and never read any horror stories of a de rimmed tank breaking(which doesn't mean that it doesn't happen) and people say they bow a little even with the rim but I'm not sure, I'll definitely be careful about it. The general consensus I'v heard is don't take the rim off if there is a center brace. I've heard (and I could be wrong i just read it on a forum somewhere) that the reason they use the rims on top is to just make assembly easier which might make sense as the plastic is very flexible when you take it off.

As for the DW I'm going ot try to find some bigger or use a rock scape. I don't buy my hardscape though I just look for it so it make take a while haha :p thanks for the reply

17. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

I may try a sand bank too. we'll see

18. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

Nick scott, I can find a piece of glass an silicon it across the top if needed.
    Last night I went stone collecting this is what I came back with, I will only be using one type obviously, I have access to plenty more of both stones. I like the grey ones but it has what appears to be rust on it and I'm not sure of the effects of metal on water chemistry

Side by side for size comparison
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same but wet. These stones are very crumbly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I will start scaping with cardboard as soon as I find some "substrate", as you can see my backyard does not have dirt

19. keithgh

Rmac

The third photo all of those rocks have plenty of character, they have the lot, sheer faces, jagged areas and those colourings are fantastic, with a similar Substrate and a dark green plants would certainly make an outstanding Aquascape.

20. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm only worried about the rust:/