1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

29g Jungle cave

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by h22prelude2k, Mar 3, 2016.

1. h22prelude2k

h22prelude2k New Member

Havent updated this in over a month now- so..here's an update!

Added 12 Celestial Pearl Danios, 4 Amano Shrimp, 3 red cherry shrimp, and 2 otos. Looking to add 12 Neon Tetras today as well.

Let me know what you all think

[​IMG]

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Looking sharp! A full frontal picture please?

3. h22prelude2k

h22prelude2k New Member

Thank you, here you go!
    [​IMG]

4. lucasgg

I would personally move the bright red plants to the left side behind or around the wood to balance out the center of focus. The red plants on the opposite side are quite distracting right now.

But it's looking good! Any signs of algae? And I'd get even more plants there.

RockvsWood and ShadowMac like this.
  5. h22prelude2k

h22prelude2k New Member

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

h22prelude2k

Red plants unless done correctly (Every Aquascape is different) they stand out like a bright red traffic light.

You have several choices, remove completely, move to LH side but still one red plant or, two more of the same plant at the LH side.

Inlet and outlet tubes I would prefer to have one at each end to give you a greater water movement for the length of the tank.

Keith:cat::cat:

RockvsWood likes this.
  7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I would agree with Lucas here. Here is what I see. On the left I see a cave with a more wild untamed appearance and on the right I see a more organized style. The two sides don't work well together as you have not carried the theme. The best way to carry the wild look is to use the various plants in your scape in different spots. It would be best not to plant them in one area in a row.

I like where Lucas suggested putting some of your red plants. Split the group and place a few of the A. reneickii over behind the right slope of the cave. Spread some of the H. pinnatifida over on the left as well. Likewise, use some cuttings from the left sided stem and spread to the right back corner perhaps? You may have to wait until your plants grow enough to need trimming and continue to thicken up the plantings with the cuttings.

Plants look healthy, good job.

keithgh likes this.
  8. lucasgg

Send us pictures of some plant roots when you move the plants to the other side. I'm sure they are healthy, but just for good measure. :)

9. keithgh

10. h22prelude2k

h22prelude2k New Member

Need some help! Battling some algae at the moment and having fish die off (lost 6-7 CPDs and 6-7 Neons in the span of 4 days :( )

Hair algae all over my java moss and what appears to be green dust algae or some kind of green algae forming on my rocks, glass and substrate

Tested the normal water parameter yesterday and everything appears to be normal:

PH- 7.2-7.4
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 0

Dont have phosphate test kit yet, so dont have numbers for that yet

Pics from two days ago below, feel like its slowly getting worse and tank now has a slight hint of green to it all over

I had my dual t5 HO and planted + running between 8-10 hours per day, but now have just the dual t5 ho running for the full 8 hours and then the planted + is set to turn on for three hours midday for a blast of light (need this since I dont think the dual t5 HO is enough light for my HC carpet to thrive)

Anything I can do to counteract the algae growth or prevent it from getting worse?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ShadowMac

the fuzz on the wood is fungus. It will go away in time. As far as the GDA on the rocks, that is pretty natural and normal. You can scrub the stones with a brush at water changes, but it will usually reappear. Its not really an algae that signals problems, just common in higher light setups.

J Art likes this.
  12. keithgh

h22prelude2k

The fungus and the natural algae on the rocks is not a concern as it makes the tank look more natural.

I would take a water sample to a good LFS and get a full water test done and post all the results.

Let us assume it could be something in the added water/filter.

Can you give a detailed account of your water change and all about your filter type and medium.

It might not be one of the above but you have to start off with the basics first.

A full tank photo with surrounding area might all be a help.

J Art likes this.
  13. yudagas

yudagas Aspiring Aquascaper

That look like the spore of fungus already in the wood is the fungus look like slime or hair? Usually if slime shrimp gonna eat it...honestly i more like to use this method to put moss on branch:
    Mince the moss
    Cut thin filter sponge and glue it to the branch
    Put glue on top the sponge then sprinkle the moss on top of it...they will look more like a natural tree

Sent from my EG98 using Tapatalk

14. yudagas

yudagas Aspiring Aquascaper

Sorry i comment in your thread half awake, i just realized my typing is messy...sorry again

Sent from my EG98 using Tapatalk

15. h22prelude2k

h22prelude2k New Member

At the suggestion of my LFS i changed out about 60% of my tank water to RO/DI water today. Anything I should be adding to my tank?

Keith- I have an Eheim 2217 filter with the filter media that came with the filter, and yesterday I added Chemipure Elite to the canister. The filter also has seeded media from my cycled 10 gallon filter

And here is a picture of where the tank is located:

[​IMG]

J Art likes this.
  16. keithgh

h22prelude2k

I would be adding Seachem Stability standard strength at every water change and double strength when cleaning your filter.

http://www.seachem.com/stability.php all the information is here.

If you still have the carbon filter I suggest you remove it immediately, it is an excellent product to use after adding medications even then it should either be replaced if required or thrown out.

Location of you tank I notice it could be getting natural lighting from both sides, one method that could be used to block the light is use the stick on Vinyl book cover its easily applied and easily removed I have used black on one of my tanks that is very close to a window.

17. h22prelude2k

h22prelude2k New Member

Im looking to start dosing Macros and Micros using EI dosing. Did some research and I am pretty sure I got it down. I am going to be purchasing dry ferts and making my own 500ml liquids

Looking at this dosing chart for liquid, am I reading it right? Do I just Add the corresponding teaspoons to 500ml of RO/DI water and then the liquid dose will be 10ml?
    [​IMG]

Also I have heard of people having mold issues by premixing the dry ferts and storing them long term, anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

18. ShadowMac

Switching suddenly to RO/DI water can cause problems for livestock. Why did they advise the switch? This is generally not needed. You could find yourself short on calcium or magnesium. Do you know how much is in your tap? I'm not so sure about the RO/DI

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

19. keithgh

h22prelude2k

With the dry ferts you are going to have a very good set of scales not the average house hold scales.

If I was making that mix up which I would not be any way I would store it in small amounts in Vacuum pack bags.

20. ShadowMac

You don't need to be that accurate, especially when using EI as it is a range. We have a margin of error. Tablespoons will work fine.

If you mix all the dry ferts and they do not stay absolutely dry you will likely get some growth as it would be a very nutritious growth medium. When making solutions people generally use something like excel or citric acid as a preservative.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen