1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

29-gallon High Humidity Riparium

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by hydrophyte, Dec 2, 2013.

1. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Moderator Staff Member

29-gallon High Humidity Riparium

I'm working on another new high humidity riparium setup. I have done a few of these before. The most impressive high humidity planting was the one that I had in this 55G tank a few years ago...

[​IMG]

High humidity ripariums are really great because you can keep emersed specimens of collector crypts and similar plants that demand very moist air in a real scaped display tank with fish. Emersed crypts are more often kept in simple growout tanks with shallow water not really designed as displays.

I have a few real good plants on hand that I can use in this new setup...

• Bolbitis heteroclita
    • Cryptocoryne usteriana
    • C. pontederiifolia
    • C. wendtii - various different varieties
    • Lagenandra thwaitesii
    • Licuala aurantica - a mini swamp palm tree. Cool!
    • Schismatoglottis sp.

I think that I am going to use a standard 29G tank (30" x 12" x 18") for this little project. The dimensions of this one are a good compromise between something taking up a bit less space, while still having some room for plants. The riparium planters are about 4" wide, so I should be able to fit seven different plants in planters in this enclosure. The 29 is tall enough to allow the plants room to grow up inside. I already have a 29G here, although the glass is a little beat up. I might go buy another new one.

Lagenandra thwaitesii is one among several different emersed aquatics that I have grown very well in the riparium planters. Once you get this plant established and with plenty of root ferts it blooms with these amazing maroon spathes over and over again...

[​IMG]

Rhizomatous plants, such as Bolbitis, Anubias and Java fern grow really well on the trellis rafts. Here is a Microsorum 'Windeløv' Java fern on one of the nano trellis raft...

[​IMG]

The rhizomes creep along and stick right to the foam trellis raft surface. The plant roots grow down through the holes in the trellis raft.

I'm going over to the shop tonight. Maybe I'll have some new pictures pretty soon.

Cheers!

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

hydrophyte

Sounds like you are well on track for another spectacular Riparium.

As it develops can you give us a step by step details please, naturally plenty of photos.

Keith:):)

3. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

Wow - beautiful plants! Is the Lagenandra thwaitesii carnivorous? I have been wanting to buy Microsorum 'Windeløv' Java fern for a while now. Is it easy to grow for a beginner?

The top Riparium looks amazing! Please keep us posted on future developments.:)

4. hydrophyte

Wow, I just let this project sit for a long time. I'm back to work on it now! I have most of the plants I want to use going pretty good in a growout setup. I rounded up a few old photos to explain some of them.

The 29G is 30" wide, so I can fit seven of the riparium planters inside. Most of the planters will hold crypts. I have discovered a few different crypts that grow especially well emersed in riparium planters.

Here is Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya'. This plant gets awfull big and I had this specimen in a 55. It might work to use one of these in this 29 if I trim it back.

[​IMG]

Here is C. wendtii "hybrid". This one is really cool with its white variegation, but I think that I don't have it anymore unfortunately.

[​IMG]

C. wendtii 'Tropica' is a nice size and shape and it gets an amazing bronze luster when you grow it emersed.

[​IMG]

C. pontederiifolia is my favorite for growing in riparium planters. In contrast with the C. wendtii varieties, it is more sturdy and stands up better. Notice the yellow spathe tongue down near the crown of this plant.

[​IMG]

kisanjong and greenfinger 2 like this.
  5. keithgh

hydrophyte

You certainly have a great collection of very healthy plants there and beautifully photographed.

6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Hydrophyte,
    Super looking Crypts :rolleyes:

7. hydrophyte

Thanks you guys! I'll try to get some more pictures pretty soon.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  8. keithgh

hydrophyte

That will be great I am positive many members will be waiting for more photos.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  9. gahardy

gahardy New Member

This not pertain to this riparium but did not know where to put it. I do believe that while you have worked with a few different kinds of Pilea I have not seen you use Pilea involucrata. This plant grows well, trellised in my tank, and while I admit it has lost it's redder hues in my low light, it has kept it's great texture.

10. keithgh

gahardy

Did you notice it's been 12months since it was posted and no updates.

11. gahardy

gahardy New Member

oh! sorry, does Hydrophyte still post here?

12. keithgh

gahardy hydrophyte was last seen: Nov 2, 2014
    Information from Profile.