1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

250G Mazny Planted Tank Build

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Consigliere, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

[​IMG]

Been playing with my camera. Finally spending the time to learn how to use it beyond point and shoot. This shot seems a bit underexposed still so probably will need to adjust some settings but it's definitely an improvement from before. Quick update on the tank, the wendtii 'bronze' is starting to grow back after completely melting. The cordata is basically still all melted. 2 plants have started to just shoot out of the ground but just barely. The balansae, ponderfolia and apongenton in the back has been growing well the last couple weeks. It's fully recovered. The anubias and parva have signs of growth but very slow as you would expect.

I've lost 3 panda corys and 2 otos. I've seen all the plecos except one clown pleco but no body so I think both clowns are still alive. About another dozen ghost shrimp have bit the dust so I figure there is about 75-85 left.

I've adjusted the drainage setup to eliminate some noise. I'll have a post on the new setup sometime soon. I'm also looking at a new return pump. The Quiet One 9000 I have is not so quiet. I'm looking at the Reeflo Snapper Gold to replace it but am still considering options. Any suggestions for quiet return pumps around 2000GPH?

Sponsored link:

2. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Not at those flow rates.

2 smaller lifegard might be a better option, I use them in the sump like a submersible powerhead and they are pretty quiet, but in some set ups, I've had them externally and they have been very quiet.

I would suggests lots of water changes, 2-3x a week at least 50-70%.
    Add Glutaraldehyde also at the full dosing, 125mls daily of a 1.5% solution~ 2ppm a day AI). You can and should dose heavy on the traces also, Crypts really love higher trace dosing than most other species.

3. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

Even Reeflo Gold and Red Dragon pumps are noisy for the ones rated 2000GPH?

Glutareldehype...is new to me. The wiki page says carbon for plants but not for algae. Is this essentially Flourish Excel?

Thanks for the tips on the traces. I have a bag of dry aquarium micro somewhere, need to find that. I started dosing small amounts of nitrogen, potassium, phosphates, iron - about 1/4 recommended levels - to see if this would benefit at all.

4. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

It's not recommended to plant crypts in new tanks FYI. They melt quite horribly, even submersed ones. Emersed ones will naturally melt to convert it's leaves. It's tricky & I'd say 50/50 for most species except the hardier C. wendtii's to bounce back.

Gluta... is main ingredient in Excel, Easy Carbo, BW Growth... or something similar.

5. plantbrain

Well, you can try those pumps, then once you see how much noise they make, you can decide, it's a personal thing though(noise factor). I'm pissy about it myself.

You can DIY the Glut FYI........much cheaper than commercial, sort of like the ferts. Dosing cal's also have glut dosing functions also(See Wet's dosing cal)

I would add plenty of K, GH booster etc......and good traces.
    ADA aqua soil will leach for about 1 month or so, then everything will be pretty good. Crank the CO2, add activated carbon etc after a few weeks.

6. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

Thanks for the advice on the pumps and dosing. Haven't been using GH booster to date and no trace dosing. Still lots to learn.

7. plantbrain

Hurry up and get a GOOD start and stay on top of things, once the baby takes over your life.....you will NOT have the time.

8. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

Unfortunately the renovations on the house to get ready for the baby are giving me no time already. I'll squeeze it in....thanks again for all the help.

Still undecided on pumps. From what I've read the Lifeguard pumps, even the smaller ones, are now significantly lower quality than they used to be so I'm a bit hesitant to go there, especially considering the changes required to make a 2 pump setup.

Reeflo claims sub 60dB on their pumps. Quiet One claims 45dB on my pump but there is no way it is 45dB. The Reeflo only runs 1750 RPM, Quiet One over 3000. Unfortunately there is nothing local to go listen to. Lots of reading says Reeflo totally silent but as you pointed out, silent is different for everyone, and I want actual silence.

Thanks for the Wet dosing calculator. Great tool.

9. plantbrain

Have 2 main concerns, energy usage and noise.

I had iwaki and the little giant were even quieter than the Iwaki, then I switched to the cheaper lifegards and they use about 1/2 the energy, transfer some energy to heat for the tanks(an issue for reef folks, not for me though,a good thing in my case) but they are for returns only, just head pressure of about 4ft. No canister or pressure filters etc.

They are not noticeable compared to the external pumps noise wise.

They are cheap, but.........they are easy to replace and buying 2 is still cheaper than a single LG or iwaki, so I have a spare on hand and a wave maker Vortech in the tank even if they did fail.

10. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

Are they lifeguard 4000 models? When did you switch? My understanding is that in the last 1-2 years they have switched assembly manufacturing to a new vendor and the quality has decreased substantially, even related to noise. Thanks for feedback on Iwaki and Little Giant though. Good to rule out as many options as possible early.

11. plantbrain

Yes, the 4000 model is silent compared to the external iwaki or LG pumpss.

No issues with them.
    I have a 3000 also on my 120 Gal.

It's set up externally on a rigid algae scrub pad which works to reduce vibrational noise. They had a huge reduction in noise levels.
    Same flow, 50W vs 100-120w water usage. I typically would od like many and buy a higher grade item vs a cheapo, I have vortech wavemakes, ATI lighting, Leemar tanks, ADA stands, ADA AS etc.........gold standard CO2.......but the LG pumps seem to work fine and I have less issues if they need serviced and less electrical cost.

So it's not like me to suggest cheaper stuff really, but.......I cannot honestly find any good reason not to use them.

On the 350 Manzy tank, the cabinet is sound proofed and has an iwaki. I bought a spare pump just in case also(a LG since they are about 1/2 as noisy).

12. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

Curious why to add activated carbon after a couple weeks. Is this because of the soil leaching?

13. plantbrain

Soil and wood, but by then most of the bacteria have settled in for the filtration, then folks start to add critters.

I add carbon mostly to remove any by products tannins etc, when I add the fish. In the 1st-2 months...you do lots of water changes anyhow. So the carbon is not utilized as much and you are doing a lot of manual water change labor. Unless if the tap has stuff in it, I see no good reason to add AC till you reduce that labor.

14. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

K and traces dosed based on Wet calculator...great tool. Ordered 1lb TB GH booster and 3lbs, on top of about 3/4lbs I found of CSM+B, from aquariumfertilizer.com.

Found some sources for Cidex Plus. Dental/medical disinfectent? Any particular type of distributor or particular product have Glut for the best price vs concentration? I'm going to have to ship it so concentration being high would be a plus.

I'm learning you can't buy stuff all that efficiently in Canada using Google.

15. plantbrain

You might ask at BC Aquaria and see if any locals have a better sourcing for it.

16. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

I finally got around to fixing my solenoid so I could put my pH controller online and control the CO2 a bit. Not really required to maintain the tank but saves some money on CO2 in my opinion. AFter taking the solenoid apart a couple times because it was passing, I finally figured out the actual problem. The outlfow orifice that the plunger seals against was corroded and irregular. I think the rubber on the plunger was a bit hard as well. So, I figured the CO2 must be passing through a small crack between the plunger and the orifice. I figured I could fix it myself using some silicone. The concept was to build a gasket surface onto the outflow orifice using tiny beads of silicone applied with a toothpick. Then I would form it into a continuous bead using the end of another clean toothpick. Here's the solenoid body after my DIY gasket:

[​IMG]

Put my regulator and solenoid back together after the silicone cured and it worked like a charm. My CO2 is back in action controlling from a pH of 7.2 (measurement after two days of no CO2 injection) to 6.7.

I've also changed around the drainage setup to quiet things down and provide full return pump output. Previously, I had only been draining without a siphon. My intention was to startup without a siphon drain until I got comfortable with how to set it up. Wanted to make sure 100% that during a power failure I wouldn't dump the tank on the floor. I also realized a setup without siphon was going to be far too loud and I couldn't maximize the flow from the return pump. The problem was that I needed to provide a setup to break the siphon in the event of a power failure. After seeing the Beananimal (sp?) design I decided that capping my ABS drain setup at the high points (Drain System Plumbing Canaquaticgardens's Underwater Green Space) and installing tubing into the tops of the cap I could setup a drain under siphon and the other drain as overflow with the capability to emergency siphon should the tank level get too high. Here's a couple shots of the new drainage, first the siphon drain:

[​IMG]

and the overflow/emergency siphon:

[​IMG]

The guards are DIY made out of plant pots I got when I bought some of the plants for the tank. I tested what I figured were the full range of failure conditions and the tank/sump never flooded. I hoped I was in good shape and this is how the tank is setup today.

A couple notes on the plant care. I've been dosing every other day 3/4 of EI amounts of Plantex CSM+B, K and P. On the other days I've been changing 5% of the water, so roughly 15% per week. Prior to starting dosing I took one of the lights of for 6hrs, significantly reducing the total light to the tank. Now, about a week after dosing GSA growth is very low to none, diatom algae is very low and still receeding but hair algae has started in a couple spots. *So I figured I have a nutrient imbalance, and potentially a surplus from low lighting. So, I turned the light on that I had turned off a week ago and will continue the EI dosing. My current lighting setup is 0.7WPG for ~1.5hrs, 2WPG ~ 2hrs and 1.25WPG for 4.5hrs. Fairly low light, especially considering 3ft deep tank so I figured adding the light back in was the right thing to do.

Another note, since the dosing was started all plants have improved growth except the parva. I think they have been limited by the lower lighting so adding the light should help with them the most. I expect the rest of the plants will have a nice spurt as well.

Interestingly, after changing the drainage setup, I had a massive power failure at the host today. Out for 10hrs followed by 1 hour on and then 2 hrs off again. The setup held up perfectly. The only deficiency is that after a power blip, the sump pump will pump out about 15G of water and the return chamber in the sump will go to low level. The return pump will be pushing a bunch of air until you put more water back into the tank. Considering that a power blip is likely to be followed by power failures, I'm OK with this being the worst thing that can happen. I would much rather buy a new pump than a new hardwood floor. During the downtime, the tank dropped about 6 degrees which is probably going to stress the fish a bit.

Since the last update I've added some new fish. They aren't visible in this shot but I've added 6 albino corys, 3 bristlenose pleco, 2 clown pleco and 30 cardinal tetras. I've lost my albino bushynose pleco and an oto since the last time I updated this. The cardinal tetras have gone in the have been hiding in the back in the plants. They are eating but not much. The seem to be getting a bit braver and venturing to the front for food today though. *Here's the tank today:

[​IMG]

17. artlive

artlive New Member

Good luck with the new fish. I really admire your effort and time to build the tank. Just one question to ask. Does this GH booster seems to have any side effect on the fish? How do you ensure that enough is really enough not only for your plants but your fish as well?