1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

250G Mazny Planted Tank Build

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Consigliere, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

250G Manzy Planted Tank Build

I've had a 250G tank sitting in my garage for about a year. This project has been on hold until I finished the basement that the tank was going to be installed in. I found out very quickly that having your first child will put a little damper on the projects you had going before. Nearly 1 year after the tank arrived it has been uncrated and is almost ready to be put on the stand. I'm thinking I will have to have professional movers do this job.

I've got the structural part of my stand built. It is 2x6 and 2x4 construction. 3/4" plywood on top. My wife is paranoid it isn't strong enough for a 250G but I think it's plenty safe.

Here's the stand going together:

The top frame that the plywood will be screwed to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the whole thing clamped together ready to be screwed.

[​IMG]

I also realized that if I tried to put the tank on the stand and then put the manzanita wood as a whole in it wouldn't fit and there is no way I was assembling it by hanging into the tank so I have started putting together my stump that will go in and I will install it in the tank before I put the tank on the stand. I'm building it on the stand so I can get it sized correctly.

Looking for some feedback on the arrangement. I have lots more good branches that will beef up the right side a bit more so it isn't complete yet.

Straight on:

[​IMG]

Closer:

[​IMG]

From the left:

[​IMG]

From the right:

[​IMG]

And still to be put into the arrangement:

[​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. seetharam

seetharam New Member

Pretty Neat

I agree with you on the 1st child causing a damper, sailing in the same boat as you, have just started work on my tank which had been sitting idle for a year or so.

With regards to the driftwood arrangement , i guess it will depend on the scape you are planning , for example the first picture as you said has a bit more weight on the right side and branches have a flow from left to right, this would be ideal if you place the driftwood on the extreme left of your tank , if you plan to have it on the extreme right , then the flow of the driftwood branches should be reversed. If you plan to have the driftwood in the center, then equal weightage should be given to both sides with a flow from center of arrangement to both left and right. This is just the way i look at driftwood arrangement ...... no rule in specific [​IMG]

3. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

HI,
    nice start :)
    I like the driftwood arrangement, maybe some additional branches from the bottom in the middle of the tank would make a good transition to a open area on the right side.

Do you collected all the wood your self or bought from the internet?

4. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

Driftwood is from the internet. Guy on APC forum I think. Was a great deal. I've just about completed the manzy arrangement. I think it worked out well. I think I will silicone it to a rock so it will sink before I put it into the empty tank. I'll post some new pics of the finished product soon.

5. sajata

sajata New Member

i see you subscribe to the philosophy of Norm Abram, he who dies with the most clamps wins!

6. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Thats some impressive Cable tie work. I've just been trying to get some wood to stick to rock with silicon. It won't stick though!!!! so I used a drill and..........cable ties.

Any tips on getting the sealant to grip?:)

AC

7. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

The clamping does look to be a bit much...but appreciate being compared to Norm!! He's a cabinet making legend. The big thing with the clamping is you can get enough force on the wood to straighten out some of the warp that comes with all framing lumber. Obviously things are out of square by a sixteenth here and there but pretty good.

As for the siliconed on rock to keep things weighted I just assumed that would work but maybe not. I will keep you posted on that one by maybe I will the rock and the stump and screw them together. That will probably be less work actually.

Has anyone had any luck siliconing wood together? I am thinking of a few spots where the nylon tie wraps are a bit more visible. If I silicone those branches in I could cut the wraps when the silicone has cured. Thoughts?

8. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

it works :)
    same with rocks

9. sajata

sajata New Member

if you fell that silicone is not up to snuff you could always use epoxy. the only thing about epoxy is that it gets thinner as it cures, unless you use a filler. I would epoxy it then cable tie it until the epoxy has cured. then cut the cable ties.
    if you have a boat supply place close go look for west systems epoxy products and filler. Mix the epoxy then mix in the filler to the consistency of peanut butter then apply where needed. I will be as one and it is aquarium safe after it has totally curred. >24-48 hours depending on temperature.

10. Consigliere

Consigliere New Member

Thanks for the tip on the epoxy. I hate the fumes though so I'm not sure I'll try it.

Here's what I think will be the final arrangement. I got every piece in, including a couple small pieces I had in an old tank.

Straight On:

[​IMG]

From the left:

[​IMG]

and the right:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

11. SuperWen

SuperWen New Member

your driftwood looks ugly... better send them to me and buy the new one for yourself :D
    actually I envy for your amazing woods :(

12. crf529

crf529 New Member

Definitely can't wait for this one to be finished!

13. prcomkd

prcomkd New Member

man, iam stonished, the best wood i ve ever seen , looks awshome

14. tenshu

tenshu New Member

Soooo jealous!

15. tataro

tataro New Member

it give a strong impression, i suggest u tie moss onto the branhes but not all of it,just 1/2, this crafted drifwood needed to be show its details

16. Godfish

Godfish New Member

Fantastic,canĀ“t wait to see the full tank...

17. Over_stocked

Over_stocked ASW Sponsor

When I first saw this wood over at TPT I thought it was too busy... Now, I'm addicted.

18. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

If it is ugly why do you want it?

19. TYB

TYB New Member

Looking forward to follow this journal...

TYB

20. Kuna

Kuna New Member

Waiting for the full setup