1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

25 Liters - Low Tech

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by stefano-bonalume, Dec 19, 2014.

1. stefano-bonalume

stefano-bonalume Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you very much for your comments!
    Was yours a question? I don't know if it's commonly used here for aquariums. I choose it because I read it is considered an hardwood tree and because its branches often have intresting shapes even if they are young.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

stefano-bonalume

I have worked with wood all my working/teaching years new timber names always interest me.

Some timbers are great to work with but collected woods can be a concern if you do not know what it is even if you do is it safe, has the tree or ground area been sprayed with poisons.

Keith:):)

3. stefano-bonalume

I am 100% sure that no chemical has been used in that area.

I removed the little woods because their disposition looked a bit unnatural to me lately, I don’t know, I just needed to make another change ahah
    At first I kept only one wood which I covered in moss and placed near the filter. I want to fill in that area where seems like Bolbitis doesn't want to grow.

[​IMG]

Removing the woods I saw a little rock where I tied some not good looking Microsorum 'Trident' rhyzome some time ago. Only the tips of the rhyzomes were alive, so I put another wood in the tank where I tied them trying to get them back to healthy plants putting them under a better light. I also added some piece of moss to cover the wood better. Now it's too light because it's new, but it will get darker and covered a bit by the moss with time.

[​IMG]

4. keithgh

stefano-bonalume

All can say is what ever you are doing don't change a thing.

5. stefano-bonalume

That's a relly big compliment. Thank you!

6. keithgh

7. stefano-bonalume

Sure. I want to let the moss grow a bit now.

8. keithgh

stefano-bonalume,

The only change I would like to see is removing as much of that white Substrate as possible as its extremely glary and distracting.

9. stefano-bonalume

I like it, and from real it doesn't look like in my pics, probably because the camera can't show the true color under the light. The real color is amber. A pic where you can see the real color is the one at page 6 with Theodoxus fluviatilis.
    Just saying, what would you suggest instead of the actual sand?

10. keithgh

stefano-bonalume

I would use a good quality black substrate plus a few various sized smooth black stones, main reason it would highlight your plants a lot better and highlight the surface of the substrate to give it another interest.

11. stefano-bonalume

Probably next week I'm getting some Microsorum 'Narrow Leaf'. I want to add it to the Bolbitis to vary the texture a bit.

12. keithgh

stefano-bonalume

You certainly change the plant textures but be careful if it's over done it will not have the same interest effect.

13. stefano-bonalume

I'm not ashamed of change the general look, wish I had more tanks to try many layouts ahah.
    When I first setted up the tank my initial idea was to use M. 'Narrow Leaf', but then I found only M. 'Trident'. Now that I found someone that has it, i want to try;)

14. kylumi

kylumi Aspiring Aquascaper

I have always used my own water chemistry solutions and MgSO4 has always been part of those solutions.
    MgSO4 will increase magnesium levels in leaves which is vital for chlorophyll production process, and generally improve plant health overall, it's also very beneficial for your fish and is used as a cure for various fish ailments.

I use 12 mililitres in combination with other substances to a dosing level of 50milligrams (a hotwater dilution) once every week in 300lt

I buy 25kg bags (which lasts a lifetime):D from Amazon.

15. keithgh

kylumi

It always comes down to know what you are doing and once its working don't start changing things just for the sake of change.

The other major point is no two tanks are exactly the same unless you are doing some scientific work under a controlled situation.

In other words what works perfectly for one person does not mean it will work exactly the same for someone else.

The method can be used as a guide only.

16. kylumi

Keith,

Scientific work under controlled conditions is what I have been doing all my working life!

Original Question: stefano-bonalume said - "I also have some MgSO4, could a little bit help"?

Magnesium sulfate (anhydrous) MgSO4 (heptahydrate)

In my post I explained the reason for use and my methodolgy for dosing. I simply demonstrated that I personally use my own formulae which concludes MgSO4 is safe for aquatic use, I did not proffer or promote any evidence that my method must be used and/or was suitable under all/any conditions. However, the levels of MgSO4 I introduce on weekly basis to my aquariums are ridiculously low, therefore I can clearly state they are perfectly safe for any size aquarium so long water parameters remain consistent to those which are required in maintaining and supporting existing life/plants.

It is readily documented that Magnesium Sulfate (Magnesium/Sulphur) are essential elements in the chlorphyll molecule. So your members may wish to explore that specific subject using the WWW.

(y)

17. keithgh

kylumi

Thank you for posting that information.

Could you post the best links the members can read up on.

18. kylumi

Keith,

I found this document to be most informative. I think it will provide ASW members with enough relative information to help them decide whether or not they would like to formulate and dose their own fertlizers rather than purchasing branded liquid ones. (y)

The Estimative Index (EI) Dosing with Dry Salts
    (author:Ceg 4048)

Ooops! nearly forgot this one!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  19. keithgh

kylumi

After trying to read and understand all that information I am glad I stuck to using Seachem Liquid ferts.

I contacted them, they advised me what to get tested after I sent the results they informed my what to use and the quantities.

Several months sent more results and a slight adjustment was made.

Keith:cat::cat:

20. kylumi

Funny you should mention the Seachem Keith..............I've purchsed the Flourish range myself. Do you use both the Micro (trace) and Macro range?:)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    wilwil likes this.