1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

25 Liters - Low Tech

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by stefano-bonalume, Dec 19, 2014.

1. stefano-bonalume

stefano-bonalume Aspiring Aquascaper

13/01/2017
    Not really an update. Just a pic of my Betta.

[​IMG]

keithgh and lucasgg like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

stefano-bonalume

Do you have a name for that beautiful Royal Blue Betta.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. stefano-bonalume

Nope, I don't usually name fish. Ahah

4. stefano-bonalume

06/03/2017
    Changed the scape a bit.
    Added 2 woods I found a while ago and got finally waterlogged. They were probably roots. Wood was hard and heavy. They should last underwater. I think that price for aquarium woods it's too high, so I am trying this cheap (free) alternative. I really like their shape and hope they don't break down too fast.
    I tied to the woods what remains of Microsorum 'Narrow Leaf' and Bolbitis heudelotii.
    At the base of the wood a new addition: Anubias 'Petite'.
    And on the left on the thin wood there's Spiky Moss. It was dying on the mesh, but thriving now, and I really like the look. It apparently likes vertical surfaces where every piece has enough light and water flow, and doesn't grow over the others like would happen on a flat surface . On the right Creeping Moss. Just there temporary and I'm being careful to not make pieces of it go everywhere, now that I have almost eradicated it from the tank. But I still want to have a little bush of it for now.
    Floating Ceratophyllum demersum to remove excess of whatever it's in the water after moving all the sand.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  5. keithgh

stefano-bonalume

Its a nice looking tank but its spoil by the dirty white substrate.

6. stefano-bonalume

Sand looks messy because I moved it. Color should return uniform after a while. I was thinking about add some Pangio kuhlii to keep the sand turned so it stays more white, but I'm afraid that they could jump out of the tank again, even if now it's better covered.

7. keithgh

stefano-bonalume

I had Kuhli Loaches for many years and never had a jumper, the tank did have a class top. When you syphon
    the water wave your hand over the substrate or syphon a few mm of the top give it a good wash and return it back to the tank.

8. stefano-bonalume

I have always had a glass top cover, but they jumped out from the sides, where glass is positioned on plexiglass supports. I didn't think they could escape exactly from the only really little uncovered space.

9. keithgh

stefano

That is very interesting I wonder if any members have had the same experience.

10. stefano-bonalume

11/05/2017
    Added more twigs with spiky moss tied to them. 3 long ones in front of the filter, and 2 shorter ones, one for each of the 2 bigger woods I already had in the central part. I put them in front of the woods so when moss starts to grow, it looks like it grows from the bigger wood, but I just have to take out the twig to prune.
    I bought 2 aquarium woods that are really similar in shape to the ones I have now in the tank (found in the woods, and Black Helmet Snails are eating them). I don't know when I'll add them.

[​IMG]

lucasgg, keithgh and xigtc like this.
  11. keithgh

stefano-bonalume

The black backing is helping to make the greenery and all you fish appear to be more colourful. All the bare substrate are you intending to do any thing with it as it looks so bare compared to the excellent Aquascaped area?

I would consider using a few of your smaller rocks with a several low grassy areas.

12. stefano-bonalume

I like to see some plain sand, so I'll leave it like that for now.

keithgh likes this.
  13. stefano-bonalume

12\092017
    Changed the woods, moved plants and rocks around. Spiky Moss is growing well and I really like the shape.
    Few days ago I brought back to the fish store my 2 Black\Military Helmet Nerite snails (Neritina pulligera).
    They were eating my new driftwoods and consequently expelling fine wood particles over the sand, and it doesn't break down fast. I'm sad because I know that they'll probably die from starvation because their actual and\or future costumer tank will be algae free because everyone here have aquariums with a single led just to light their fake plants and will put a snail in it because it's cool but without thinking that there's no food for it.
    Oh and I decided to bring them back also because they were covering everything with white eggs. They never did that until recently so I assumed they were 2 males, since they are not hermaphrodites.

Actual population:
    12 Paracheirodon simulans
    1 Betta splendens
    2 Aplocheilichthys normanni
    3 Caridina multidentata (I have them since I started this tank, in 2014!)
    Some Theodoxus fluviatilis
    And I just added Melanoides tuberculata to stir the sand and clean it.
    I know that no one wants Malaysian Trumper Snails, but I'll keep their population checked and add Anentome helena to control them.

Actual plants in my tank:

Spiky Moss
    Anubias 'Nangi'
    Anubias 'Petite'
    Ceratophyllum demersum
    Cryptocoryne petchii 'Pink'
    Cryptocoryne parva

[​IMG]

lucasgg likes this.
  14. keithgh

Stefano

Your tank is progressing along very well. Its a pity the sand is starting to show its age now. A good deep clean and a little of the same substrate added to give that nice look again.

15. stefano-bonalume

I want to keep it more natural I can, that's why I removed the cause of the excess of dirt and added Malaysian Trumpet Snails to stir the sand. I don't want to constantly change the sand to keep it clean. It sounds artificial to me, and that's not the low tech setup I am trying to get. Obviously this way changes won't come quick, but I am patient and I think that trying to create a quite balanced tank is a really interesting journey.
    That's the main reason why I started this tank.

16. keithgh

stefano
    That should work for you.