1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

25 Liters - Low Tech

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by stefano-bonalume, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

What do you consider exceptionally hard water? Ph is not an indication of hardness, but higher ph is associated often with hard water. My kh is around 7-8 and with seiryu stone can get as high as 14 as measured with a high quality test kit. Gh I believe is 8-10 but I cannot remember for sure. By all accounts it's hard water. I did RO for a bit but didn't see any big benefits that were worth it, particularly for all the extra work it requires. I wouldn't recommend anyone go out buying an expensive RO system unless they have very specific needs.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

As I never had any thing to measure my water when I started it was only in the later years I bought a pH kit.

I had a very basic way of testing water hardness I was taught so far back I cannot remember.
    Soft water lathers up very easily and hard water its very difficult to get a good soap lather.
    Over the summer months our water is shocking but after Easter until just before Christmas its lovely soft water.
    I have been in parts of Australia its practically impossible to get a soapy lather.

https://www.nachi.org/hard-water.htm

Keith:cat::cat:

3. stefano-bonalume

stefano-bonalume Aspiring Aquascaper

@keithgh I tied Narrow Leaf Java Ferns to 2 cable ties. Before they were attached to little woods and then those woods were tied to cable ties. Woods were not firm so plants couldn't attach well because they moved at every water change, I hope now it's better.
    And I removed all Creeping Moss because every tiny piece goes around and grows everywhere. But I think you all know this yet if you have grown mosses before.

Currently there are 9 Paracheirodon simulans and 1 P. innesi. And 3 Caridina japonica and some Neocaridina davidi.
    And the spots on the glass are Theodoxus fluviatilis snails.

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Snails are certainly beneficial to many planted aquariums with thicker leafed plants. They do generally the same thing as shrimp, but slower. Eg. clean algae, detritus, dying plants.

RockvsWood likes this.
  5. stefano-bonalume

I know, I put Theodoxus fluviatilis in my tank on purpose.
    I put Planorbarius corneus, too, but it turned out that they eat my plants, so I'm crushing\removing every Ramshorn Snail I see. I think that there are very few of them now.
    Theodoxus are better, but the only bad thing is that they eat my Lomariopsis lineata, so it hasn't grown since I put it in the tank because every new growth is eaten, plus some old parts.
    But Theodoxus are beneficial so I choose to have some Round Pellia eaten.
    I don't like my 3 Caridina japonica. When they smell something to eat they go crazy, and are constantly trying to catch my Green Neon Tetras and Neocaridina davidi. Definitely too aggressive. They are surely beneficial in a planted tank, but not with other fish or shrimps. I think I won't buy them never again.

6. lucasgg

I wonder if they are hungry?

7. keithgh

The only snails I added to my tank were wild Nerites every other snail was a squashoo as soon as the lights came on.

8. stefano-bonalume

They eat biofilm on everything in the tank, and dig a bit in the sand to reach waste and died plants parts. They don't touch any plant (even the young unfurling fronds of Microsorum or Bolbitis) except Round Pellia. I think that's because it's very tender. I'm not sure but maybe even my Neritina pulligera ate it. It sometimes crawl over Round Pellia and when it go away I have the impression it ate some parts.
    I'll keep my Round Pellia until it looks decent, and then I could replace it with some little piece of Aegagropila linnaei that doesn't require trimming to stay in shape, doesn't breaks off very easily and no one eats.

9. stefano-bonalume

14/04/2016
    Finally found some rocks, most of them of the same type.

[​IMG]

10. keithgh

stefano-bonalume

If you can some more of those rocks smash them up and scatter them around (do not try to position them) they will look better that way.

To make it even more realistic press them into the substrate to make it look as if they have been there for a long time.

RockvsWood and stefano-bonalume like this.
  11. stefano-bonalume

27\04\2016

Put the rocks closer together because I missed seeing some sand. Ahah
    And I bought a male Guppy. It has been hiding for a week but now it's not scared anymore.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    lucasgg likes this.
  12. lucasgg

What a pleasant jungle you have there! It's looking great.

stefano-bonalume and J Art like this.
  13. yudagas

yudagas Aspiring Aquascaper

i think you can just boil the branch in hot water arround 1 up to 2 hour it can reduce the pollutant inside it :)

14. keithgh

You certainly can boil DW as much as you want to but what it does do it break the timber down a lot faster.

ShadowMac likes this.
  15. stefano-bonalume

What branch are you talking about? The one over the tank? When I found it I thought it would look nice in the tank, but when I tried to position it, I didn't like how it look.

16. keithgh

I am referring to all wood.

stefano-bonalume likes this.
  17. stefano-bonalume

20\05\2016

Tied the excess of Marimo algae to some wires. I'm not sure it it will work, but I didn't want to throw it away.

Microsorum 'Narrow Leaves ' isn't doing well. Fronds gets brown spots when they are still young. They don't die, but the look of leaves with brown areas isn't the best. What do you think about adding some Anubias with tiny leaves to fill that vertical part and hide the filter better?

[​IMG]

ShadowMac likes this.
  18. keithgh

stefano-bonalume

I think you will find all the smaller leafed Anubia are themselves small low plants.

19. stefano-bonalume

I know, everybody knows that. Anubias are known for being slow growing plants.
    But I would tie them where Microsorum is, so they would already be in a higher position.

20. stefano-bonalume

09/06/2016

Microsorum fronds have many brown areas and some are falling off. Even new little fronds get brown before maturing. I hope it's just because they need time to adapt because new rhizomes are young.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    lucasgg likes this.