1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

20L Low-Tech

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ptiJo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Hi,

I'm really new to fish tanks ; I started in Sept 2012 because my daughter asked for a Betta Splendens. After setting "her" tank, I started "mine". I'm a big fan aquascaping and "natural" tanks ; I don't want to add "chemical" product nor technical filter, etc...

So this is my second low-tech tank : about 20L ; 50x17x25cm. Ground using "Sable de Loire" and white Quartz, pieces of wood called "Asia" on the website I ordered, Ohko stone and "easy" plants : Vesicularia Ferriei Weeping Moss, Eleocharis sp Mini, Vallisneria Americana Mini Twister.

Light is provided during 10H per day from a LED bar (Lumivie SJ).

First, I did change 50% of water every week. Then slowly decreased as the water remained more and more "healthy". To add nutriments and CO2, I have a bunch of Daphnia pulex, Physa, Planorbella and Asellus aquaticus. I also added Neocaridina heteropoda 2 weeks ago.

So far, it runs pretty well. Here's a quick sum'up of the first days of the beast :)

Day #1 : White, grey and brown.
    [​IMG]

Day #2 : A touch of green.
    [​IMG]

Day #30 : Needs of bit of triming.
    [​IMG]

So, what you think? :)

greenfinger 2 likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Scapeofaqua

Scapeofaqua Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey! I myself am not an expert, far from. But i guess you posted this to get opinions and feedback so here it goes :D
    First off you got some sweet looking wood right there ;) Never heard of it :D
    Secondly you made this 'valley'/'street' (however you may call it) in the middle, which i like, it gives some depth. It realy does'nt show the real depth of your tank, 17cm, which is not easy to scape i've heard. So good job! :D Only in the last picture it seems like the 2 substrates have mixed?
    I do think you could improve the hardscape a bit. Personnaly i would lower the substrate in the front and bank it up highest on the left side and a little lower but still high on the right. Leaving a v or u shaped valley in the middle (where your street is ;) ). And than push the branches of the left piece of wood in that banked substrate so it looks like it are roots. Next add some more of those beautifull ohko stones in between the branches/roots to make it look natural. With the right piece of wood i would use the right side (the side that is against the glass in the pic) and place that side in down in the substrate. How i invision it than you have a side with very high substrate with roots flowing towards the valley and a side with less high substrate and branches of the wood reaching out over the valley towards the other side.I like the mosses when they grow in they will look awesome :D The plants realy do look healthy even without a filter.. This is what i understood from your post; that you don't use a filter is that correct?
    But this is what i think based only on pictures :)
    Good luck with the tank! Keep us updated! (y)

3. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

First of all, thanks for your review.

Then, yes, I have no filter at all. I do grab a bit of dirt (that is not fully eaten by the snails ) on the surface once a week but this is done manually ; and during the change water process. The sand and the Melanoid seem to take care of the chemical things ;)

Regarding the change in the tank. I won't move that right wood part. Just because I tried many hardscapes before filling with water (including the one you described) and it didn't look good ; to my taste. Maybe because that branch have shapes that doesn't show well on the photo. The thing is, when installed as you described, it takes too much room in the tank ; from my point of view. Taking soil from the front and dispatching it on the left is something I'm supposed to do for quite a "long" time ; I just got used to this layer and never thinks of doing it. Maybe because I don't look at the tank from this exact point of view but rather from a bit higher. Looking at the photo, I agree, there is quite a lot of sand in that middle :)
    About the stones, there are some under the roots actually. But either the grass has gone to high or I just used to small bit. Gotta solve this.

Still not having received by curved scissors, the triming is not done. So no update yet :)

4. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Something is still alive down there :p
    [​IMG]

5. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

[​IMG]
    Still growing. Slowly but surely.

6. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

[​IMG]
    Rocks are pretty too.

baukeshalmas likes this.
  7. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

It's been a month now that 5 Ember Tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae) live there.

[​IMG]
    They seem to enjoy the low-tech / natural environment :)

8. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

hi LOVE IT(y)(y)(y) you have a talent for scaping:rolleyes: thank you for sharing ;) cheers roy

9. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Thanks a lot ! :)

10. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

Great project :). Whats your fertilizing regime?

Cheers
    Flo

11. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Hum... Nothing special. I feed the shrimps and the fishes. What's left is eaten by the snails. And what goes out of all those little critters fertilizes the tank :)
    The other mineral import comes from the water which is Volcania. I used to replace from 1,5L to 3L of water per week but it seemed to not please the shrimps ; I founded 1 dead after each water change. So for now, I only refill what evaporates.

12. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

It's been a long time since I could achieve a good global shot of this tank. I wonder if it is only because of the tannin rich water... Anyway, here're a "4 months old" shots.

[​IMG]
    Global shot.

[​IMG]
    A closer view.

13. shorty2181

shorty2181 New Member

Hey ptiJo, I just became a bit concerned after reading that you are only topping up evaporated water. After some time of adding what sounds like mineral rich water (I'm guessing this is what volcano water is referring to) you will keep increasing hardness etc and end up with water overly saturated in salts, almost like brackish water. I would suggest topping up to replace evaporated water using rainwater or RO water, ie no or very little solutes to keep adding to the tank.

14. shorty2181

shorty2181 New Member

Oh by the way love the way the tank looks and am encouraged by your healthy looking fish!

15. greenfinger 2

hi PtiJo your scape LOVE IT nice work mate(y)(y)(y) cheers roy

16. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

@shorty2181: "Volcania" is the name of a mineral water found in France. It's like Evian or Volvic. But from some other place in France. I don't think it's much related to volcanos other than by the fact that there used to be active volcanoes 2 millions years ago here. It's just a cheap mineral water that I use rather than using tap water. So to go on the mineral part, I don't think that I'll end with a "saturated" water. Last time I checked, the water had a GH of 3 and a KH of 2. And when I'm talking about refilling, I'm talking about 1L or so per week. My thoughts is than plants and animals will use quite a lot of it. But that's an interesting thought than I will have a look at.
    @greenfinger2: thanks ;-)

17. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

i noticed your up into something with the space in the middle part of your tank.
    your scape is looking good. btw very nice dw you have there:)

18. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Little update since moss tends to grow to the surface. Some of it is already emersed. So let's show-off a bit with the "famous" aquascape bubbles :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vesicularia Ferriei Weeping Moss

19. greenfinger 2

LOVE IT MORE :Dcheers roy

20. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

A few new shots:
    [​IMG]
    Vesicularia Ferriei Weeping Mossgoing emersed.

[​IMG]
    Planorbella duryiplaying Geronimo :eek:

[​IMG]
    Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp. Orangehaving a nap near the front window.

greenfinger 2 and nick.scott like this.