1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

20g Journal - Grass by the Rocks

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Jdinh04, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

It has been about 2 years since I have attempt an actual aquascape on my aquariums. I believe the last one I did was with 50g aquarium but didn't turn out like I expected. But thats why this aspect of planted aquariums make the hobby challenging! Anyhow, it has been about a little less than a month since the AGA convention. After the convention, I told myself that I would like to focus more on aquascaping aspect of this hobby and apply the skills I have learned from others and from my own natural instinct.

After locating a growout tank for my plants, I've dedicated my 20g as my "aquascaping" aquarium. When deciding on how I wanted to aquascape this aquarium, I knew for sure that I wanted to give rocks a try since in the past I've only used driftwood in my aquariums, but with no intentions of creating a "Iwagumi" type layout. While thinking for a few minutes of how I wanted my scape to appeal, I finally came up with something that I actually like.

The next part was trying to think of a crazy name, since most aquascapes these days come with a "catchy" or "unique name". So I decided to do a google search on "Grassy Rocks" to see if there would be any other name associated with it, unofrunately there wasn't any that I liked. However, while looking through a guy's photography web site, I came across this photo and for some reason, it somewhat actually resembles my aquascape! I'd never though that I'd attempt an aquascape and actually be able to find a photo online that somehow looks like my original scape. You can see the photo below. Moreover, I decided to come up with the name "Grass by the Rocks" and hopefully you will like that name too! (y)

Here is the photo that I found:
    http://outside.danmitchell.org/images/QuicksilverRocks20040418.jpg

Here are several photos of the initial hardscape and planting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the progress of this aquascape, I hope to bring out the bronze/reddish colors from the Blyxa sp. 'japonica' to stand out against the Eleocharis parvula.

I am also thinking about adding another plant that will fillin the left corner of the aquarium, possibly Stargrass?

Anyhow, this will be first actual aquascape that I will be attempting. This will be an on going journal and learning experience and I hope that I am able to learn as much as my aquascape progress and matures. In terms of the look of the aquascape, I believe I will be finished after making a few modifications.

I am opened to hear what you have to say!

Any questions? don't hesitate to ask! I'm nice! :)

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

what kind of substrate?
    very individual stones :proud:
    i like it - it is simple , but still interesting to look at

3. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Thanks! The substrate is called Soilmaster Select Charcoal in color. People here use it to fill in baseball fields but can also be used for aquariums.

Its not the best substrate, but it was cheap and has been working great for me.

The stones are indeed awesome! This was my first time using them and I am happy of how they turned out.

Thanks again for your comments.

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

seriyu stones , am i right?
    horribly expensive in germany :(

5. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Yea! I believe thats what they are called. I was fortunate enough to get them shipped to me for no cost. But I would agree, they are indeed expensive.

But you don't need Seiryu stones to make a beautiful scape. I'm sure if you go around your area, there should be tons of stones that you could use. :)

6. dg2606

dg2606 New Member

I don't what it is, but i love this setup. Maybe the simplicity, or seeing your inspiration pic, or even a combination of both. Excited to see it fill in!

7. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Thanks! I can't wait for it to fill in either! The dwarf hairgrass was dying off for the past couple of days after the initial planting but seems to make its way back. I will probably be a few weeks before I can see some more growth. On the other hand, the Blyxa japonica has already grown and rooted itself to the substrate.