1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

20 long~ Scarlet Dreams

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by waterfaller1, Sep 25, 2008.

1. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Just set this tank up. It is not quite finished. The onion will be replaced with e. vesuvias.It needs a background.
    tank:20 long
    lighting:2 X 18 wt T-5
    substrate: soilmaster

Anubias coffeefolia
    Anubias nana
    Crypt ideii
    Crypt wendtii bronze
    Crypt lutea
    dwarf onion
    pair of chocolate gouramis, 6 blue form axelrodi rasbora, 7 juvie dario dario, 2 amano

[​IMG]

2. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

very nice!!! i think its a lot better than your 1st rendition. love the anubias!!!

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Great start Carole,

The soilmaster looks fantastic against the rocks and driftwood. I feel the layout is almost a concaved layout (on the horizontal plane). To better enhance that shape, the rocks (or future plants) on the sides could be position closer to the front of the tank. Lastly, I think the anubias look pretty nice, but in some parts the leaves are almost too pronounced (most notiable on the left side). These are just some ideas to consider as you get further along. :star:

-John N.

4. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

5. John N.

By the anubias being pronounced, I mean their leaves stick out. It's probably because the leaves are too big in my opinion. I think pushing them could help make them appear smaller. However instead of using Anubias barteri, you may be better off using the smaller leaf version, Anubias barteri var. nana. You might want to get the nana version just to complement and maybe add balance. Just some running thoughts.

-John N.

6. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

That is what it was supposed to be..it's not? Maybe I should get a bunch of petites?

7. John N.

There are many anubias varietes, although I could be wrong I'm fairly sure you have Anubias barteri: Link. This is different from Anubias nana versions seen here.

If you look at Oliver's scapes you'll notice the plant leaves near the rocks are smaller then the rock face itself. This adds to the openness that one feels as they look through the aquascape. The plants feel subtle like they are suppose to be there.

-John N.

8. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Yes, his tank is also a 125..and mine is just 20 gal.:rain:
    Thank you John. I think this tank is going to be quite easy to work with or change, vs. the other tanks with all the stems, trimming, etc.

9. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

pics from today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. CmLaracy

CmLaracy New Member

I like the hardscape, nice job. It's got good structure.

One recommendation? Once the slopes of your substrate come up, flatten them out, don't make them slope back down again. Amano always talks about the importance of extremely and straightened substrate. He says it gives an entire impression on the tank without one purposely viewing it. I agree with him.

Nice work w/ the anubias and crypts, I love em! Just get that substrate straightened out a little bit more! lol

11. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Thank you. It is the flow that is pushing the substrate back. I pushed it down some to fill the hole a bit. I need a 'real' stand for this tank.8)