1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

20 gallon long - Finally planted! 5/16 update

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Wise Films, May 9, 2016.

1. Wise Films

Wise Films New Member

Hey all,

First post here. I was in this hobby 8 years ago but life got in the way. Now, I have more time and I am back! I am starting a low tech 20 gallon long tank with moss, ferns, anubias, dwarf sag, etc. This is my initial hardscape and I would love your feedback! I will be adding a black background and also smaller pebbles.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

I have to say it is very visually intriguing, but the bright sand and lack of height variance in the substrate puts me off a little. I'd go with a more fertile substrate, such as Seachem Flourish or Aquasoil, and build it up in the back corners, creating a valley/triangle in the middle.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Wise Films

Welcome to ASW will you fill in your location as well as your country in your Profile please.

A interesting Aquascape, the main concern is nothing works with each other, the DW two totally types, glarey white flat uninteresting substrate, and the smaller stones do not match the larger rocks plus, they would be lost with your planting.

My only suggestion is have a complete rethink of what you are intending to do.

Keith :cat::cat:

4. Wise Films

Wise Films New Member

Lucas:
    Thanks! I will be adding more height in the back for sure! I am going with sand for low tech ease and will not be using any stem plants except maybe dwarf sag.

Keith:
    Thank you for your input! The wood, once soaked, will be very similar in color plus most of it will be covered in moss and ferns. The sand is there to stay but will work on making it more interesting. The smaller stones def. need to be better placed, and they will be somewhat visible since I am leaving most of them unplanted. I will keep tweaking everything and will post updates soon. Thanks!

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ASW and welcome back to the hobby.

I like the hardscape design. I agree the sand is fine for your planting plans. While, it is nice to get a good slope to the rear to build some perspective that would be difficult to maintain with sand. It also may not be necessary for the style of scape you are putting together. With the wood coming from the top of the tank, you do not have the need for creating a false sense of scale.

This one will have a biotope feel to it. What are your plans for fish?

6. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

I like where you're going with this. Might want to add in some smaller gravel stones for more realism. Not sure you need the white branch going across the back.

ShadowMac likes this.
  7. J Art

Also, have you checked out The Green Machine videos on YouTube? James Findley is awesome with using these same types of hardscape materials.

8. keithgh

Wise Films

Looks like we have given you plenty to think about, don't forget the updates please.

Keith:cat::cat:

9. Wise Films

Wise Films New Member

thanks all! here is an update and almost final hardscape before plants!

[​IMG]

ShadowMac likes this.
  10. J Art

Give it a few days to sink in and then look at it again with fresh eyes to see where you can make some adjustments before planting. I like this style a lot. Although my initial thought is that some of the stones look a little too placed, but definitely going in the right direction.

11. ShadowMac

I like the update. Turning out nicely. I'm in agreement with J about the added smaller stones looking too spaced. Adding more of the small ones to create a gravel base look around the large stones would help, IMO. You basically just need more of the small ones to give it a more natural look. I'd try to find some photos to use as a reference.

Overall, the impression is great. I hate to say it, but a minimal planting here might look the best. I wouldn't put anything in the sand and put the plants in and around the stone islands. Take a look at some of ADG's hardscape tanks.

J Art likes this.
  12. Wise Films

Wise Films New Member

Thanks guys, very helpful stuff!

I will add more small stones to create a gravel base. Minimal planting for sure! Just using ferns, anubias, and moss.

J Art and ShadowMac like this.
  13. keithgh

Wise Films

I certainly requires more thinking on the size and positioning of the stones, don't have them just sitting on the sand it does not look natural at all, most of all is the white sand it will be very interesting to see how long it stays like that.

14. Wise Films

Wise Films New Member

UPDATE! Hey guys, here is the tank planted just a few days ago. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

ShadowMac and J Art like this.
  15. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

I love it. :love: Reminds me of Keith's style.

What's with the moss ball?

16. keithgh

Wise Films

Its starting to look very interesting now, my concerns are most of those small rocks will completely disappear with your planting.

Moss ball why it looks out of place in your natural looking tank?

17. Wise Films

Wise Films New Member

The moss ball will be ripped up and glued to rocks and wood in the next couple weeks. I just ran out of time in the initial planting to get around to that task. Hoping everything grows in nicely and then I can tweak it.

lucasgg likes this.
  18. ShadowMac

you mean algae ball...

I hate these things and cannot for the life of me understand why folks use them. Its a stubborn cladophora sp. that can end up everywhere you don't want it. Why not real moss?

Other than that, the plantings look great. It'll only look better as it matures.

19. Wise Films

Wise Films New Member

yes, algae ball haha. I am using fissidens, and christmas moss in this scape but I wanted to try out the marimo ball as well. I wanted to see if it would work attached to rocks etc. If it ends up everywhere then oh well I will accept it lol.

20. keithgh

Wise Films

Warning it will be the worst decision you will ever make for your tank.