1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

20 Gallon 24"x14"x16" - First Aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by roach, Jul 8, 2011.

1. roach

roach New Member

It's growing!! After having seen the growth of some plant's I did a bit of moving around. I think I may still have some more adjusting but I like the way it's coming together.

I'm not totally sold on the "patch" of grass, but I am happy it's growing haha.

I took a lot of pictures to document, it's grown a lot in two weeks and needs a trim.

Two female amanos I have a berried, it's cool to see but too bad it won't work out :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added a second light fixture, now running 2 life-glo and 2 power-glow, so now it's up to 96w. They aren't both on for the whole photo-period, first it's the front one(9am-5pm), then the rear one(12pm-7pm). After I added the second fixture the plant's got very happy, so I'm glad. I will probably further adjust the times too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. roach

roach New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything is growing pretty well, there is a bit of GSA issues and the only thing I can think is possible overdose of pfertz.. all of the water parameters are good. However, I can't get the Microsorum Narrow to grow much.. I took them out, removed the crappy leaves and tied the rhizomes to small lava rocks to sit on the surface. Also, the Hemianthus micranthemoides is growing, but the tips seem to melt away on some of them and I have no idea why.

I also removed that small piece of wood in the front as I didn't think it added much. I also moved the grass from the middle to the side because it was really lost and I love the look of the crisp green. Still doing a bit of a battle with the hair algae .. but everything is pearling well and working out. There have been some mysterious fish casualties and I think it may be lack of oxygen? (they jumped out of the tank :()

Thank you for looking, help and suggestions are still welcome!

3. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

beautiful work. My only suggestion is to temporarily take out filter/hardware and set some black or white cardstock before taking pic if possible. It helps the viewer more fully appreciate all of your hard work, skill, talent and dedication to the watery canvas that you have been 'painting' on. It will look great when it fills in. Please keep us posted---R

4. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

wow, you ahve a lot of powerhead and output in that tank, must be like a jacuzzi for the fish. how much lph you got in there? the stem plants in the back really look great from above. no algae? considering you have your lights on almost the whole day, that good luck, i'll be waitng for your final product

5. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

Looking good!

Whats the flowrate of that wavemaker?

6. roach

roach New Member

Thank you. I agree there is a lot of hardware in there and when it's out it really makes it look 100x better! I do have black cardstock on the back, do you mean the sides too? My camera isn't the best, I will have to invest in something better sometime and a tripod.

No algae on any of the stems. The powerhead's aren't actually on at the same time, I have them alternating. You're right though, when everything was on before it was pretty flowy haha

Thank you :D

The hydor koralia is a nano 240(gph), the other one in the back is an aquaclear 20(120gph)

I am looking very much forward for it to fill in more!

7. roach

roach New Member

On a side update, I wanted to try an immersed culture. So I took some HM and HC clippings and put them in a clear container with some soil from the garden.. I really just wanted to see if anything would happen haha. I have the soil saturated and it's covered with saran wrap, it has been outside for a few days(bring it in at night) and most of it has melted off but some is actually still alive and showing signs of growth! Could be neat :D

8. roach

roach New Member

Bump

Everything is growing except the Microsorum pteropus, it doesn't seem to want to do anything.. I just want to to grow! Please help!

This is Tom, he has amazing colouration :D

[​IMG]

9. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

Because of the side reflections of the tank, you only need card stock for the back. Your tank is looking really good and I am envious of your shrimp! Great color and great plants!---R

10. Boiler Man

Boiler Man New Member

I think your pictures look great. You need to quit being so modist, and your tank seems to be coming along fine.
    I have one question. I am planning to use eco-complete in my tank and I would like to know how it was to work with?

Rich.

11. roach

roach New Member

Thank you.

I think it depends on what you want to do, planting/re-planting HC can be a bit of a pain because of the gravel size and due to the size/length of the roots. It may be due to my large homemade tweezers though that are giving me the most trouble haha. They seem like very small lava rocks, a bit porous, etc. probably just big ones crushed up. I haven't had a problem with the stems as long as I get them a few inches deep so they don't float back up. When the roots run through(depending on the size) they weave along just fine and some just attach right to the gravel.

My tank has been having major trouble lately and I have tried many things.. currently overrun by hair algae and I haven't been able to get rid of it! I picked up some rocks from a river I like, I'd like to treat those and perhaps start a new layout.