1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

2 difficult choices - filter & background

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Sandyvanderhorst, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Sandyvanderhorst

Sandyvanderhorst New Member

Hi all, first post;

I have 2 difficult choices;

- I see al lot of beautiful aquariums, but all have no background (fak wall or so) but are see-thu or you only see a lot of "white" (I guess thats because of the photo / photoshop)

Can anyone advise me if I should keep it or lose it? I'm starting all over..

also;
    - I have a filter inside the acquarium. 300 liters, Juwel filter insight. It is filtering good, yet is is taking ~15% of space. Also it is easy in use and to clean. Again; should I start filtering external? And if so, in a "fixed" size, or thru a smaller aquarium with filters in it.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Kindly,
    Sandy

Attached Files:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hi Sandy, welcome to ASW. Your tank looks very nice. You can tell you take good care of it. The background is really a matter of personal taste. The more modern aesthetic leans towards no background or a frosted background. It is relatively simple to add frosted privacy film to the outside of the rear panel. I cannot comment on how difficult it would be to remove the 3D background you currently have in place.

Regarding your filter, what you just described is usually the reason many people prefer external filtration. The choice then becomes do you want to do a canister filter (the fixed size) or a wet/dry filter (the other aquarium with filter media and a return pump). Wet/dry filters are the most efficient. Canister filters are easier to understand and more fail safe in my opinion. I'm not comfortable with wet/dry filters because they can be noisy and are not as noob friendly. I use canister filters.

A good place to start is describing your goals for your new tank. What do you want to accomplish? Do you have a budget? What size is your aquarium? These types of details will help others help you.

Best of luck!

3. Sandyvanderhorst

Thanks Shawn. No problems with the budget. I want to accomplisch a nice aquarium... I see so many great. Yet so far I have failed, this time I want to do it right. I can't really say what I want in terms of sort of plants or so. But my main problems were the plants, but I bougt a super CO2 set, fully automatic with PH control. The problem for me is the composition. I see many people who really thought it out into detail. F.e. placing a piece of wood in a certain direction because of the "lines" you create. So far, that didn't work out very well for me (my photo is not very clear, but believe me..).

What you can see is that I tried to create a mountain, but it is just a mountain, nothing excited and as it is 1 big terras it is very difficult to change. If I take away 1 stone, it will collapse. Although it is firm as it is now. So I would like to make it a bit simpeler now, so I can change things.

Well, with shame I have uploaded a new pic and a simple example. Don't look at my current, I know what I did wrong and some plants don't actually belong there but I was working at another aquarium and needed to place them somewhere.

I picked out a simple example what I like. I like way more complex things, but let's keep things simple. The trouble I will have with this, is the colour of the stone. It quite matches my background...

Anyway.. you see I have a lot of things I still need to think about. I will upload another in a new post what I like.

Attached Files:

4. Sandyvanderhorst

these are complex ones I like

Attached Files:

• 328.jpg
      328.jpg
      File size:
      108.1 KB
      Views:
    • 436.jpg
      436.jpg
      File size:
      241.3 KB
      Views:
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Here is a video of the one you like:

You can also see the workers at the Nature Aquarium gallery working a bit.

The background differences will make the scapes look quite different. The built in background makes yours seem like a cave while the openness of the other gives the impression it is a large open scene.

6. max annand

max annand New Member

Hi :)
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7795835_remove-3d-aquarium-background.html
    That's a little thing i found on removing a 3D background. I've only ever taken off some cheap tank contact and that was bad enough.
    It's a little more old school-fish shop style but have you thought about painting the back of your tank black or even the back and the sides? It's cheap and really brings out amazing colour and contrast in a tank. Also, seeing how your tank is against a wall the only thing you would lose is a view of the wall through the tank?
    Just a thought.

:)
    Max

7. Sandyvanderhorst

ah thanks! I'm almost ready for the big change.. I will post pictures in a new tread so you can give comments and suggestions to improve. I will keep the background and the filter. I'm quite afraid the glas won't look nice in "real life", compared to 1 picture I will make to show it.

8. Kcraven

Kcraven Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi ShadowMac

With the frosted backgrounds is that just the same sort of contact that children put over their books for school?

9. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Adam F/back is what you put on bathroom window if clear:) get from DIYstore wet glass put on film wet film smooth out air bubbles job done (y)cheers roy

10. Kcraven

where can i get a solid black from?

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  11. greenfinger 2

Hi Adam you can get colour ones but don't know if black sorry mate (y)cheers roy

12. Kcraven

thanks mate might just have to paint the background :p Was considering trying some contact that you use to over books for school. I don't know if this would work though. But I did notice that the green machine used a background thing on one of their video's and saw the prices.................................. my jaw dropped to say the least :p

13. greenfinger 2

Adam as you said if anything to do with aquarium price go's UP:mad: DIY store is better half the price or less have done my tank looks good(y) stuff you put on books has glue will be a prob to get off:( and if paint never get off:eek::D cheers roy

14. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

No. It's a bit different. But you may be able to use contact, dunno.

The privacy screen you can buy in Bunnings for about $14 I think, in the same place as the fly screen. There is frosted and patterned, make sure you get frosted unless you want stars or something on your tank :p

I sent my dad to get mine and they told him they didn't have any. Turns out they did but it mustn't be popular so the staff may not know what you are talking about. But it is there and in a roll.

I had a little trouble with the roll having creases in it from when they rolled it. The and look for a smooth roll and you will hopefully have less trouble than I did.

Linds

15. Kcraven

Sounds good will go have a look once i get it all started :) Thanks guys