1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

1st attempt : Bonsai + Iwagumi

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by PSPANG, Sep 1, 2017.

1. PSPANG

PSPANG New Member

Came across Takashi Amano's creation & fell in love with the iwagumi style. After much reading I decided to attempt my own.

Tank size - 120L x 50D x 35H
    Substrate - ADA Amazonia
    Hardscape - Local rock & bonsai
    Lighting - Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0
    Plants - Monte Carlo carpet & coral moss & phoenix moss on bonsai
    Filtration - Hydra Filtron 1800

Day 1 - DSM

[​IMG]

Day 10 - DSM

[​IMG]

Day 18 - DSM

[​IMG]

Was misting twice a day with top covered + 12 hrs lighting but browning progressively as you can see above. LFS recommends to flood the tank as the browning could mean nitrogen deficiency. Another LFS says the same so flood the tank 2 days ago & running CO2 on 3 bps. CO2 & lighting goes for 10 hours with CO2 starts/stops an hour before light goes on/off.

Now that it's flooded, let's see what'll happen during the first few weeks of water cycling. Will be doing 50% WC every 2 days to speed up cycling.

Will have some photos of the flooded tank tonight.

PS - Did some reading after flooding it and seems to think that I may not have enough gap during DSM to allow exchange of air - lacking CO2 maybe contributing factor to the browning. Too late now =P

Ed Villagracia, alex08 and keithgh like this.

Sponsored link:

2. Nigel95

Nigel95 Aspiring Aquascaper

Nice scape great dimensions!

I recommend a photoperiod of 6 hours to start and increase this weekly with 15-30 mins and closely watch for any algae. Personally I don't go any higher than 8 hours.

After dsm make sure the drop checker is yellow as long there is no livestock.

keithgh likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

PSPANG.

Its a very interesting Aquascape, as your eyes travel across the tank no matter where you stop and look there is something to admire in what I would call a very Natural Aquascape.

Those two little trees are just the correct size to give your Aquascape another dimension.

Keith:cat::cat:

PSPANG likes this.
  4. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

very nice perspective. nice scape (y)

PSPANG and keithgh like this.
  5. PSPANG

PSPANG New Member

Thanks for the compliments ...

Day 4 after flooding and added some HM to provide hiding ground for the shrimps later. Ammonia spiked after 2 days and did 50% WC. Being new to planted tank, I kick up a storm - mess up the substrate and a few MC floated :(

I got PPMD+P ready to go. Going to fert daily alternating between micro & macro and weekly WC. When do I start ferts? 2 weeks?

[​IMG]

6. keithgh

PSPANG

Can you use a small watering can with a rose. If you pore the water over that large rock you should not have a problem.

While its spiking I would do 2x50% twice a week this will certainly help.

upload_2017-9-3_14-29-10.jpeg

7. PSPANG

PSPANG New Member

Thanks Keith ...

Melbourne water pretty cold. I see you're from Melbourne too. Can I use warm water from the tap?

8. keithgh

PSPANG

I live on the Mornington Peninsula totally impossible reason too much Chlorine. I bought the 15lt water storage plastic containers (Bunnings) I took the water from my instantaneous HW service this killed a lot of nasties in the water. Storing it for a week allowed the chlorine to evaporate.

PSPANG likes this.
  9. PSPANG

PSPANG New Member

When topping up, I use a large piece of bubble wrap and spray on top ... Learn this from the various video & reading I did. But not when drawing water out. I had issue when I first draw water out using the old gravel cleaner (I didn't use it to clean the substrate). Had to 'pump' it by hand to get the water flow but obviously I didn't think and it disturb the substrate. I'd to suck it out manually !!! I now pre-fill the hose then tip it over to get the flow running.

keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

PSPANG

Sounds like you are on a fast learning curve. If not sure of any points please ask a member is bound to know. I have had more practical experience than most are years old. I am only 80 years young with about 50+ years experience.
    Long before computers and forums, if there is a wrong way I have possibly done it.

Keith :cat::cat:

PSPANG likes this.
  11. PSPANG

PSPANG New Member

50+ experience !!! There'll be plenty to learn from you ... any tips for a new beginner like me? What to look out?

I already got the dry ferts from Aquagreen and will start daily dose of PPMD+P (in 2 weeks?) - macro (Mon, Wed & Fri) and micro (Tue, Thu, Sat) with Sun 25% WC. :) Algae eating fishes in about 2 weeks or when ammonia stabilise and shrimps about 4+ weeks ... at least that's the plan

12. keithgh

PSPANG
    That is a good starting point buying from a very reliable person not just a big company.
    Become involved in Forums not just asking questions and stay involved not just disappear after a short time. Follow members on how they develop their Aquascape. If you are into DIY, Zeus is certainly the man to follow. Go to every LFS in your area and get to know them. If there is an Aquarium club in your area go to their meetings.

We all had to learn at one time and we have all made mistakes along the way.
    I learnt that 2 x 35-40% WC worked better for my plants and inhabitants.

PSPANG likes this.
  13. PSPANG

PSPANG New Member

Algae forming. Is this white hair algae? What shall I do?

[​IMG]

14. keithgh

PSPANG

This is one safe method
    • Siamese Algae Eater. also known as SAE (Crossocheilus siamensis), this fish is a useful algae eater, eating thread algae and the brush algae ignored by other fish. ...
    • Amano Shrimp. ...
    • Oto Catfish. ...
    • Malaysian Trumpet Snail. ...
    • Bristlenose Plecos. ...
    • Ramshorn Snails. ...
    • Nerite Snails. ...
    • Twig Catfish.
    If the tank is Cycling it "Should go away once its Cycled"

In the mean time see if you can scrub with a tooth brush or wipe off as much as you
    can.

Keep us updated on your progress please.

15. PSPANG

PSPANG New Member

Thanks Keith ...

I'm doing daily 50% WC to get the ammonia down ... Once stabilised, I'll get some SAE & Oto to help with the algae ... Thinking of only getting RCS - are they are as effective as the amano shrimps?

PS - great idea on the brush ... will try later

16. Nigel95

Nigel95 Aspiring Aquascaper

RCS are by far not effective as amano's. But they do help some.

SAE can be tricky with moss. Some times they eat it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

17. keithgh

PSPANG

The biggest concern with the SAE is as they get older and lazier they prefer the fish food rather than looking for their natural foods. The only way to beat that is always only buy the young ones and only replace them when they get lazy.

The RCS will do the job but not as effective as the Amano Shrimp.

Seeing you are in Aust you might be able to locate these
    [​IMG]

Caridina typus it will be a replacement for the wanted Amano shrimps and, is a Native of Qld Aust
    A few facts.
    It grows to 5cm it eats Black beard algae, Green string algae and black string algae or hair algae if you like.

18. PSPANG

PSPANG New Member

Thanks Keith ... I can get those NQ shrimps from Liverpool Creek Aquarium ... When is it safe to have these in my tank?

Little update on my tank - Week 1 after submerse - did 3/4 WC & added some Amazon frogbit today. Also dimmed the light & raised it higher. Are these Amazon frogbit or it's something else??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. keithgh

PSPANG

Liverpool is just out of Cairns, get every thing from him long before our summer as it could be a stinker this year. Once he posts them you should get them under 24hrs. If you are not home make sure they are placed in a cool spot.

It looks like it could be just be careful it does not block out all the light from the top of your tank.

20. PSPANG

PSPANG New Member

Any idea what causes the browning / black spots on the frogbits? I'd removed heaps today

[​IMG]