1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

1st attempt at a high tech box 'o water

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Wendy1B, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

This thread is starting to take off! Great progress Wendy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithgh and Wendy1B like this.

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Don't crush the aquasoil, it will turn to mud

kabriolet and Wendy1B like this.
  3. Wendy1B

Wendy1B Aspiring Aquascaper

IMG_3018.JPG IMG_3019.JPG IMG_3091.JPG Today I planted the Eriocaulon ratonagiriuni seeds I purchased from a seller in the UK via eBay. My ro/di unit is on the way, but I didn't want to wait any longer, so I picked up a gallon of ro water for 79 cents at the grocery store. Even though I only paid for the ratonagiriuni seeds, the seller sent me an additional packet labeled 'mix'. I can't wait to see what sprouts!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Wendy

My suggestion now would be keep a diary of the planting and don't forget to keep us updated on the plants.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. keithgh

Wendy

Not ever used Aquasoil I thought crushing could be a concern, with a little research it will be a problem.

"When you crush it, it break down and release contents of the substrate that otherwise wouldn't be exhausted for possibly years. Once you have broken up the hardened particles, it's going to turn to dust very quickly and then into a mud "

Wendy1B likes this.
  6. Wendy1B

IMG_3093.JPG IMG_3096.JPG Here is what I worked on tonight. The bottom picture is with all of the tiny pebbles and shards of broken rock I have. I also pulled 4 bigger rocks. The top picture is with all the bigger rocks & none of the shards of busted up rocks, but all my smooth tiny pebbles. Is my problem that I'm trying to use too many rocks?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  7. keithgh

Wendy

A very short reply "Yes"

Wendy1B likes this.
  8. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

When aquascaping, it is important to consider the placement of hardscaping materials by asking 'where did this come from?' 'What is it's source?'

In your situation, your small rocks need a visual source, such as a cliff side they "fell" from. Or you could place similar stones throughout the hardscape to express a continuous rocky "landscape".

Wendy1B and Zeus like this.
  9. Wendy1B

Quick update: my tank might arrive tomorrow! I have received my RO unit and API master test kit, but we have been crazy busy at work and since I have been unable to catch up from the 3 days I missed due to the migraine, I have been working stupid overtime hours all week. I am so exhausted by the time I leave that I keep forgetting to bring my goodies home. I placed some orders for some tissue Culture Plants and moss for mid-week arrival next week. Since I won't have funds available for the GLA Co2 unit until the first of April, I plan on trying the dry start method. Also, I have scrapped my idea of the deep sand bed.

keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

Wendy

If all goes well you will have that Aquascape for a long time, what is a few weeks waiting, as I always say "What is the hurry" that is when costly mistakes are made.

Wendy1B likes this.
  11. Wendy1B

IMG_3103.JPG IMG_3105.JPG IMG_3104.JPG So, I'm somewhat frustrated with the vendor I ordered the aquarium set up from. The tracking number they emailed me has only worked twice, and on those days I was able to track it indicated I should have received it on 2/23. I still haven't received it, and none of my 2 emails, 1 voicemail, and one online 'contact us' form I filled out, have been responded to. All I want is to be able to track my tank. Maybe it will show up next week. I just don't feel as though I have received very good service here.
    However, the tissue culture plants I ordered for next Wednesday arrival WERE delivered today. Argh!
    So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you all to my little plantcicles (the vendor took no steps to provide them with any insulation or heat pack as I requested, and these poor little plantcicles felt about 40 degrees F when they arrived. Argh!

The top picture is the Crinum Calimistratum I've always dreamed of, Rotala wallichii, Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden', Ammannia senegalensis, Micranthemum tweediei. I have them in a temporary recovery container with Aquasoil soaked with water, well-misted stems and leaves, covered in Saran Wrap, under my double flourescent grow lights normally used for starting seedlings for our vegetable garden.

The middle & bottom picture is the tissue cultures. For greens, I ordered Eleocharis sp. "Mini", Hydrocotyle tripartita "Japan", Ranunculus papulentus, Ammannia "Bonsai", Rotala macrandra "Pearl", and Pogostemon helfiri.

For reds, Ludwigia "Super red Mini", Alternanthera reineckii "Mini", and Red Rotala
    macrandra.

I'm hoping the cold temps they endured will not kill them. I'm glad I decided to open the sealed containers the tissue cultures came in; 3 of them smelled of death and decay, so I rinsed them several times until the smell was gone.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  12. keithgh

Wendy

Can you contact the carrier direct? Have you tried ringing the Vendor direct?

I notice one of the plant containers comes from Aust.

Keith:cat:

13. Wendy1B

Is it the TopFin that comes from Australia? Or is it the Ranunculus papulentus?
    When I contact the carrier (I assume you mean shipping company) they say without a valid tracking number they can't help me. They won't look up my shipment by name or address or any info about the vendor. They just say to contact the vendor to get a valid tracking number. The vendor won't respond to any of my attempts to contact them since Monday, when the tracking number stopped working again. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it doesn't arrive by next Friday afternoon, I will ask PayPal to reverse the charge.

keithgh likes this.
  14. keithgh

Wendy

I would open another thread asking if any one has had any concerns with their shipping or tracking number from that vendor.

Once you get a reply I can easily delete that thread.

15. Wendy1B

Today we mounted the RO unit to the kitchen wall. I was able to brew up almost 4 gallons of the good stuff, and I feel pretty good about misting my plants with it. The same 3 tissue Culture cups smelled of carnage again today. I gave them all a good flushing of RO water, but my Rotala macrandra Red and Pearl both look pretty rough. I'm going to try flushing them twice a day. I was wondering if I should put a drop of any fertilizer in their cups? Does anyone think that may make a difference in their recovery?
    I am reluctant to start a thread regarding this vendor unless I know for certain I will not be receiving the tank I paid for. I have frustration with them right now, but I don't want to sully their name unless my tank doesn't actually get delivered.

Attached Files:

16. keithgh

Wendy

Over the years not many members have bought plants that way and the ones that have I can not remember any concerns like you are having.

Send a PM to Tim Harrision "Mod" I am sure he will be able to direct you to get the correct answer.

17. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Have you got your light for the tank. If you have you could/maybe setup a DSM with your plants with the substrate you have already in few containers/pots/pans.

Then when you get your tank you will have even more to plant with better roots.

I did a few in the little tubs the plants come in with AS , roots really got developed. ( From a few cuttngs for son's tank ).

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

keithgh likes this.
  18. keithgh

Zeus

Thank you for that very constructive idea.

Wendy can you get a large plastic container at the hardware store or even a Polystyrene foam box.

19. Wendy1B

I have the bunch Plants & potted Micranthemum tweediei planted in such a tub. I will move the tissue cultures out of their gel and into a tub with Aquasoil. The Rotala macrandra Red perked up today, and none of them smelled of rot. Rotala macrandra "Pearl" still looks bad, though. Maybe the Aquasoil will perk it up.

20. keithgh

Wendy

Looks like an unexpected learning curve re those plants. Any luck with the tank and shipping?