1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

1st attempt at a high tech box 'o water

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Wendy1B, Feb 5, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Wendy
    Thank you for posting those photos your are off to a very good start already with those interesting pieces of DW
    Next step is start planning your Aquascape in the mock tank. Have you had time to hunt the WWW to get any ideas of what you would like to do yet.

This is possibly the most difficult part to do but once you have completed that the rest is easy.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. Wendy1B

Wendy1B Aspiring Aquascaper

IMG_3087.JPG

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  3. Wendy1B

4. Wendy1B

IMG_3089.JPG These rocks are my agates. The ones above the ruler are milky/clear under water, and the 6 below are milky marbled with amber coloration when wet. The separate two below aren't amber, they are various shades of green and pink striped.

kabriolet likes this.
  5. Wendy1B

These rocks on the left are various shades of mauve pink with plum purple striations, and the ones on the right are light grey to charcoal with plum purple lines. IMG_3053.JPG

kabriolet likes this.
  6. Wendy1B

IMG_3057.JPG Here are my bigger green rocks. The rocks on the left have deeper, darker shades of green, and the ones on the right have softer shades of green.

kabriolet likes this.
  7. Wendy1B

Medium sized greens. IMG_3064.JPG

kabriolet likes this.
  8. Wendy1B

Small greens on the left; brick reds to maroons on the right.

Attached Files:

kabriolet and lucasgg like this.
  9. Wendy1B

IMG_3086.JPG IMG_3085.JPG My most substantial, and in my opinion, coolest piece of wood. This is the one I'm not willing to nix from my scape, as I have a vision of a weeping or trailing moss hanging down from the tiny, twisted twigs on it. The moss I've found from a reputable vendor likes lower light. Since this piece isn't very tall, I may place it horizontally on the substrate, and place an over-shadowing stem plant behind it to provide some shade. Here is the moss I want to hang down from the underside of the branches: https://liquidcreations.net/shop/aq...-plants/queen-moss-amblystegiaceae-sp-manaus/

kabriolet likes this.
  10. Wendy1B

Keith, I did link to the 'Dutch Something or Other' by Tom Barr which has the bright colored plants and the contrasts I want to achieve, along with the driftwood 'streets' dividing the rows of plants, and I also linked a picture of the kind of path I want to include now in order to provide some open substrate for the Stiphodon Gobies. I have not found any single one scape yet which includes all of the features I desire in my scape. So, I'm hoping people like you can help me achieve all of these elements as I am not naturally talented like many aquarists when it comes to achieving a balanced layout. About a week and a half ago, you posted that you have a vague idea for my scape, and asked for pictures of the wood and rocks separated by size and coloration. I'm sorry it took me so long; do you remember what your vague idea was?

11. keithgh

Wendy
    Queen Moss Amblystegiaceae sp Manaus is a extremely rare moss light green appearance, very soft leaves. Grows well in co2, with filtered light after an adjustment period.

[​IMG]

That could be achievable with suitable plants considering if I am correct you are going Low Tech, which I would always recommend for a beginner or on a tight budget. The other major problem with your delicate twiggy pieces of DW they would be lost very quickly.

As a Think Tank Brain storming exercise these are the requirements, Small square tank not a cube, Low tech, Beautiful twiggy DW, Small smooth stones, Colourful plants, Pathway.

When you look at that list it could easily be several tanks or a long tank.

It would be impossible for me to remember exactly what I was thinking except it would be nothing like your first attempts.

Because of the size of the tank I would be thinking about a sloping substrate highest back LH corner then down to an even height at the front.
    [​IMG]
    This is a mini tank but the thoughts similar.
    [​IMG]
    The RH side of this tank.

[​IMG]

DW could be the concern here.

kabriolet and Wendy1B like this.
  12. Wendy1B

I love the placement of this path, and it angles just like you tried to show me previously. I will attempt to make my path like this, but I do want it stone lined. Do you think it's a good idea for me to bust up a few of my bigger rocks so I have small shards to sprinkle around larger rocks lining the path? I don't have very many small rocks to use to achieve this look: [​IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/keithgh/AA ASW HELP/bj6v_specialpathwayedited-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    OldeFishLady likes this.
  13. keithgh

Wendy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More central that corner.

[​IMG]

Could be made corner or central.
    [​IMG]
    Very simple but with colour and your DW would look totally different.

Next step is up to you. Which direction do you want to go?

The designing of the Aquascape is the easy part once you have decided what you would like to do and use.

kabriolet and OldeFishLady like this.
  14. keithgh

Wendy

I have been busy doing some research for you when you posted that reply
    just "copy image" and past it please. Is it this tank you are referring too?
    [​IMG]

kabriolet and Wendy1B like this.
  15. Wendy1B

I am going to go high tech in this set up, also. There is lots of inspiration for me in these pictures you've posted. It's Tom Barr's set up that I get the most excited about when I see it. Your brainstorm was accurate, but I'd also like to add that I will be trying the type of freshwater deep sand bed that is so popular in the State of California. I do want the slope to the back left you mentioned.

16. Wendy1B

Yes that's the one

17. keithgh

Wendy

WENDY PLEASE re think that who BBBB cares about being popular "Its possibly the cheapest way to go" think about the plants and their requirements a top quality Substrate is a must.

I have had plenty of practice doing design work.

Can we narrow it down to as a start ?
    High Tech
    LH sloping
    Colourful
    A Good Substrate (Colour to be decided not white) a mix of colours can make it even more natural.

18. Wendy1B

I have the 8 liters of SL aqua soil, which I was going to place on top of 30/60 mesh Black Diamond Blasting Grit (also black in color), which I was planning on placing on top of a sprinkling of Osmocote Plus and some mulm from one of my co-workers' well-established, healthy molly tanks. This is the article I am basing my decision on to try a FW DSB: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_7/volume_7_1/dsb.html. The thing which prompted me to research the DSB is seeing a 3-year old setup in person while visiting my sister in CA. It was stable, and without algae problems. It had metal halide lighting, pressurized Co2, and a canister filter. The plants were challenging species; I had never seen them in person before because my town is in the grips of the low-tech set-up. The thing that attracts me most about the DSB is the biological filtering large-scale capacity. Plus, I'm somewhat of an experimenter.

19. keithgh

Wendy

I am not saying it cannot be done but there is no nourishment in sand what so ever and you have to feed it other wise the plants will die very quickly. To the best of my knowledge the sand can compress and this can make it harder to the nourishment to the plant roots.

One big warning do not experiment until you have had plenty of knowledge with aquariums and every aspect of it. At a your stage it could become a very costly experiment.

To be very honest at the moment I think you should concentrate on getting the Aquascape perfect in the mock tank.
    The first job is to finalise on the Aquascape you would like to do and get the mock tank ready using "Sand" its cheap and easy to use in a cardboard box.
    If you have decided on a back corner sloping the height will depend on the height your DW.

In the mean time you can open another thread on substrate and planting, other wise this thread will be a mix of every thing, the lighting and Co2 unit can be added into the planting but do one thing at a time.

There are members far more qualified in lighting, plants and Co2 than I ever will be.

20. Wendy1B

Since particle size is important in the DSB, what if I manage to crush the Aquasoil fine enough to suffice? In the powder size which I ordered, it looks to be about 2-3x too large as it comes. It will be nutrient rich for the plant roots, and provide the different levels of oxygen zones required by the nitrifying bacteria along with the surface area required for the large amount of biological filtration I desire. The compaction issue is avoided by keeping enough live Blackworms and Malaysian Trumet Snails. I plan on using my sump refugium as a safe breeding zone for the blackworms so that I can continuously restock their population in the main display. At any rate, the depth of the sand bed is not something I am set on; I am open to foregoing a DSB if the possible consequences outweigh the benefits. But I think it is appropriate to consider in the aquascape as it does affect the look of the tank and the amount of depth I can achieve. I will post about the DSB in the substrate forum to see what I can learn from users there.