1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

17.5lts Nano Tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by luis_lopes, Aug 14, 2008.

1. luis_lopes

luis_lopes New Member

Hello.

As I said on my itro thread, I am gathering some stuff for a 17,5lts tank. I am thinking about developing my aquascaper technics on this small tank, so that I can go t my 112lts (even though it is a small tank, it is larger I can get - space issue).

I have been playing with the hardscape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My doubt now is... Should I add only Aquasoil, or should I add white decorative sand, making some kind 'stream'?

I am sorry for the photos. I am still learning how to use my Nikon D50.

Thanks for your help.

(I am also sorry for my poor English...)

Cheers.

2. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

Hi Luis, nice tank ... is it acrylic ? It will look great once you set it up. The pics are neat. About your question of streams....I don't know what to say, It's a matter of personal tastes.

Regards

3. Chadly

Chadly New Member

Love the tank shape! I'm like the first and second rock layout. I think you could put down a thin layer of peat and a thin layer of aquasoil, then the decorative sand. If you have substrate additives or root fertilizers, you could use those as well. IMO, the depth of the tank makes for a shallow substrate. Being very shallow, it will be hard to avoid mixing, maybe just decorative sand would be your best option.

4. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

The tank looks unique and so do the rocks. I prefer the 1st layout over the other ones you have. A nice layer of sand in the foreground and maybe ADA Aquasoil in the back with plants covering it would look awesome. Looking forward to seeing what you plan to do with this tank.

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

+1 for the first hardscape
    i would use aquasoils alone - if you want to rescape it after - there is no need t replace mixed substrate, you know what i mean?

your english is good ;) and photos are well done as well :113:
    keep us update

6. luis_lopes

luis_lopes New Member

Hello all.

Thanks for your answers.

This is what I've came up with.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

I think that the right side could be a little better. But I think I can do something with this.

This tank is from a brand that is called Blau Cubic. It is made out of Glass.

40*24*16 cm

Still thinking about what to choose for plants and fish...

Cheers!

7. luis_lopes

luis_lopes New Member

Well, I've finished on planting some Eleocharis Parvula, and got a back ache. I'll posto some pictures tomorrow, since I don't like to show right after aI fill it with H20.

I just hope to get a nice layout with this plant.

Cheers.

8. luis_lopes

luis_lopes New Member

well, here it is. Don't too hard on me, I am on a earning process. My idea is to have only Eleocharis Parvula, I also know that my rocks are going to be absorve by it, but I'll change it as soon as I find a plant that suits my needs.

What do you think?

BTW, the photo should be taken without any of the equipment inside the tank, but I didn't want to take them out...

[​IMG]

9. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Very nice, it should look really nice once the hairgrass fills in. Although you might want to add another foreground plant to create some depth near the front. A nice piece of branchy driftwood would look awesome as well.

Any plans on fauna?

10. luis_lopes

luis_lopes New Member

Jdinh04,

Thanks. I'll be waiting for the Elecharis to fill in an gain some strengh, so that I can trim here down to the shape I want.

I was also thinking about having some Trigonostigma espei and Neocaridina heteropoda var. red, and perhaps, if I have the room, one or two Ottocinclus Affinis.

This is my first attempt on a planed aquarium, a kind of test to my 112lts tank. I hope it turns ok!

Thanks.

11. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

do you want to keep the white road free of plants?

12. echofish

echofish New Member

your scape looks really good. I was thinking the same thing asJur4ik. go to ada website and look at some of the pictures with "streams" they have added little pieces here and there to make it look more realistic. off to a great start!
    cheers

13. luis_lopes

luis_lopes New Member

Hi.

Thanks again for your answers. I've been checking ADA's gallery to get some ideas.

Perhaps some "Cuba" or some Riccia can do the trick.

Anyway, here'san update. I've started with the CO2, but When the light fired up this morning, I've found Eleocharis like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think it could be? Perhaps I should start with some liquid fertilizer: ADA Brighty STEP1 ou ADA Brighty K?

Thanks.

14. DiogoHCMatias

DiogoHCMatias New Member

Hi Luis! Realy good looking tank! Congratulations!
    The eleocharis species all take long time to adjust to aquarium. The one you have there, is no exception, and that's why it's getting yellow. But adding some fertelizer, specialy the ADA's fertelizer is a good option to improve grow.
    A couple of otociclus and some red cherrys would be nice!

Best Regards,
    Diogo Matias