Sponsored link:

1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

15G Rescape - Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by DGalt, Oct 8, 2008.

1. DGalt

DGalt New Member

First and foremost, HI! lol, I just stumbled across this forum this morning. I mainly spend my time over at Aquaria Central, but I was excited when I found this forum.

So here's what's going on. About 5 months ago I planted my 15 gallon tank. nothing special, just some dwarf clover, some rotala indica, a crypt wendtii, and an anubias. From the start I haven't really liked the look of the tank, and now that I'm planning on pulling out the clover (I had some BBA and the clover just isn't doing well), I figure now is a good time for a fresh start.

So here's what the tank is like in its current state (minus the sword and the alternanthera, and the clover is completely submerged now):
    [​IMG]

The substrate is about 1inch of just regular gravel on top of about 2-3inch of Schultz Aquatic Soil.

One of my issues so far has been with the hardscape, which never really seemed to fit with the tank. However, my LFS doesn't have much of a selection, so I've been rather limited. Luckily, I came upon a guy who was selling a bunch of different driftwood. So here's what's coming in the mail some time next week:

[​IMG]

So, what's the plan? Um, I'm not completely sure. I was thinking of using the new driftwood as a centerpiece and putting the crypt and rotala amongst / behind it (splitting up the crypt, making that kinda the centerpiece, and having the rotala on either side of it). I'm getting glosso and dwarf hairgrass as a ground cover. I'm planning on having the glosso as the "foreground" cover and the hairgrass as a "background" cover. Not real sure where I'll probably put the anubias

My concern is that the tank is going to be too symmetrical. At least looking at the image in my head, it seems too symmetrical.

So, suggestions? I'm open to just about anything.

I'm debating switching my substrate to SMS...it's basically the same thing as the Schultz, though, but just a different color. I would prefer the dark color, but in the end, if everything goes to plan, you won't even see the substrate, so I don't know if it's worth the effort / money.

Tank conditions:
    15 gallon AGA
    DIY CO2
    40W CFL bulbs (might be upping that to 50W though, we'll see)
    DIY ferts (KCl mostly; nitrates are always around 10ppm without me doing anything due to rather high stocking; I need to look into phosphate though; traces supplied via Flourish)

thanks for any suggestion you all can offer :D