1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

125ltr Once Upon A Time At The Riverbank - Final update

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Supercoley1, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

nice to see an update and to know the tank and you Andy are still alive ;) :D
    your needle fern is filing in again nicely.

Those I got from you arent in best conditions but are slowly growing because of the higher water temperature in my discus tank I suppose. It seems to be not as easy to balance things out as I initialy thought but actualy the tank is almost algae free all plants are healthy and the most important the discuss are doing so well that I now have a pair and they already produced eggs multiple times :)

Sponsored link:

2. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I find that when I put needle ferns into a new scape (same temperature same setup) they tend to deteriorate until I am left with only new growth. Same with any ferns really. The Phillipine Fern does the same.

Over the first couple of months of this scape I gradually removed the old leaves as they deteriorated :)

Similar to Crypts IME. Put em in and expect them to go bad for a while :)

If you look at the pics on page 2 on the post from April you can see some pinholes in the longer older leaves ;)

AC

3. TYB

TYB New Member

If I haven’t said anything before, I must now, just love your scape… inspiring!

TYB

4. Supercoley1

A quick update this month.

The Crypts are starting to grow well now. They don't look much bigger in the picture below but I can see there are more leaves. Mostly the larger Willisii and Undulata in the centre rear. The Undulata on the left is also bigger too.

The Fern in the right rear corner is not growing as fast as I expected it to and the little 'surprises' are still not visible yet :)

The Rasboras are great. I've been breeding Mosquito larvae in a bucket at the end of my garden and harvesting them weekly. The Rasboras go mental over them and go an intense almost red colour. I think they put their 'hunting' jackets on :lol:

This month will be a tester. I go to Portugal for 17 days on the 18th. :wave: TAP there and BA back this time. No more budget airlines :thumbup: After 4 years of misery with :silent:jet and :silent:baby I've decided they're not worth the hassle and they would've actually cost more too. :jawdrop

While I am away the CO2 will be off, no ferts will be added and the lights will be reduced to 2 series (0.44WPG.) shouldn't be a problem as this is a yearly occurrence. I am considering a condensation tray while I am away though as this tank loses a fair amount of water over a week. probably in the region of 6-8 litres!!! If I don't have something to remedy this I will come back to a tank that is about 2 inches lower than it normally is (below the lily pipe.) Not a problem to the fish or most of the plants but may mean the higher attached ferns and the tips of the rigid large fern would dry out.

Sorry about the dark pictures. I was playing about with ISO and EV and messed up here. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AC

5. sworrall

sworrall Aspiring Aquascaper

looking very nice and really healthy SC. glassware is uber clean too!

6. Supercoley1

This post is entitled 'what a difference a day makes :)

I have been quite outspoken in the past r.e. black backgrounds and how clear /light backgrounds looked much better but when seeing Mark's (Saintly) latest photos I noticed that it looked amazing. To me the light was the thing that added the extra to it. From the pictures his lights looked to be giving the same appearance to the plants as mine so I thought I would try it out. Tell me what you think (Sorry I didn't wait for the fish to behave and the CO2 is still going and is half an hour after water change to boot :lol: )

No photoshop and no changes made. These are straight from the camera with EV @ -1.0, white balance on daylight fluorescent, no flash and timer on 2 seconds. After that I've just used MSPaint to put the black border on :)

[​IMG]

Just to show you how I did the background to test. The black is a hairdressers 'poncho' that came with the clippers I use to do my 'crew cut' then it is pegged to the top of the tank and the wood lent against it to stop light shining through it. Finally teatowels are hung over the front to block the light from messing about with the camera :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AC

7. JamesM

JamesM New Member

A massive improvement imo mate, but more importantly, what do you think? :)

8. Supercoley1

I think it looks great. Maybe it suits the style of scape/plants I use :) but it definately shows the colours up more and fills out the gaps I could see with the clear back.

AC

9. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

your needle leaf is again so bushy :D

10. saintly

saintly Aspiring Aquascaper

man, that's looking way better. you gota let me come and photograph it :drool:

even if just for fun? just for your benefit.

that looks the nuts mate.

11. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

That looks good. I would just tweak the brightness down a bit it might give you better contrast with the black background. I noticed the two drop checkers. Were you getting different readings before you added the powerhead?

12. Supercoley1

To be honest J I only added the second DC after the powerhead was in there. The powerhead makes all the difference though. Co2 worries long gone. They still show different readings though. They always will. CO2 next to the diffuser can be in the 100s of ppm and as low as 8ppm in other areas of the tank. Doesn't stop the fish from playing around right next to the diffuser for ages :)

Mark. - You can have a fun shoot after I come back from Portugal early september.

I am on the net whilst on hols so I can check out your reply.

AC

13. saintly

mail me when your back and we'll organize and afternoon for photography.

:proud:

14. Supercoley1

I actually have the house to myself this Sunday unless thats too short notice. lol It is quite a light room though hard to get a 'blackout' in afternoons :)

AC

15. saintly

sounds good to me. we dont need blackouts though.

send me an email to check for times. i'm free all the time, so it's your call.

16. TDI-line

TDI-line New Member

Very cool Andy.

17. saintly

OK, after a lengthy spell at Andy's today, i think we've accomplished many things.

this tank it has to be said, is stunning. i've always liked it from day one. and to get a chance to play with my camera in front of it was great.

Andy has given me permission to add an image or 2 just to show you what it should look like.

now that's not disrespectful to Andy at all and we spoke about the issues of "non photographers" and image taking of our tanks. many times tanks can be overlooked due to an image not being "quite right" or "under exposed" This tank certainly wasn't/isn't overlooked, far from it, but it's not getting the attention it deserves! IMVHO

i realled off about 100 images or so and there some pretty great shots.

the fish didn't play at all, but i managed to get a least a couple with them in the shot. Snails became a PITA though.

so here's one image of one of my fave tanks that is on the current forum circuit

[​IMG]

i think you'll agree, Andy is at the top of the tree when it comes to the low light approach and is certainly making me think about things in a different manner.

18. saintly

here's a nice one using wide angle.....

[​IMG]

19. fish.com1

fish.com1 New Member

That needle fern is great Andy, I love how it's leaves spread out so far apart. Photography is very nice too Mark.

20. saintly

one last image.

Andy can do the rest. Andy mate, theres loads for ya!

[​IMG]