1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

12 Gallon Nano

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by shawnstve, Aug 14, 2008.

1. shawnstve

shawnstve New Member

This is my 2nd undertaking of an aquascape. The first one was more or less practice. After learning a little this is what I came up with. I took this picture last night (1 hour after set up) so the water is still a little cloudy.

Attached Files:

2. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Shawnstve welcome to ASW!

I moved your thread to aspiring aquascapers since it's still developing and you'll get more feedback here. The showcase thread is pretty much for finished scapes.

I think it's got alot of potentional. I would separate the hairgrass since it grows better when it's thinly planted. The way you have it will result in more waste and other organics getting caught in beween the leaves and causing algae. I wll also trim the top like grass in a few days to a week.

3. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Shawn, welcome to ASW =D

You've start off with a great tank with a bunch of nice plants. As J House explained, I think it'd be better if the hairgrass was broken up into thinner chunks, that way it will spread faster and more evenly. Although you may run into some problems later when the hairgrass and hc start to mix. I think it'd be nicer if you trim off the buds off the hairgrass, usually thats an indication that it was grown emersed.

Keep it up!

4. shawnstve

shawnstve New Member

Thanks for the help on the hair grass. I actually was having some trouble with it. The material on the top was actually starting to decompose which was kinda giving some trouble to the stalk of the grass also... I will trim it when I get home today. I am going to have some trouble separating though, it since I have to use my fingers to plant... (I dont have any tools for planting) So planting individual pieces of grass will take forever. Any suggestions?

5. shawnstve

shawnstve New Member

really quick, what is HC? you said the hairgras and HC will mix?

6. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

HC is an abbreviation for Hemianthus callitrichodes? Its the other foreground plant you have in there.

7. shawnstve

shawnstve New Member

dwarf baby tears was the common name for it... Thats what your talking about? Yea, I want it a little choppy between the baby tears. Like not all throught the baby tears... you know?

8. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

hairgrass becomes long roots and you will have it everywhere.
    at the moment the water is cloudy but the scape looks very colorfull - please give us some pics when it became clear

9. shawnstve

shawnstve New Member

I will, Although I have a question... I am having this white slime that bubbles up on my drift wood.... I boiled it for a while, I thought that would kill all the fungus... Do you guys know if thats fungus or something else? it seems to be spreading to some of the plants.... Im thinking its just large quantities of bacteria building up since there is so many plants and so much plant material being broken down from dead leaves and stuff.... If you guys know what it is than let me know, and also let me know if I need to worry about it, or if it should take care of its self once the cycle is over...