1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

114-litre Riparium

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by hydrophyte, Feb 21, 2014.

1. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Moderator Staff Member

I have a start on a new project. This will be a riparium planting in a low and broad 30-gallon (114-litre) tank. I think I have a good plant selection in mind, but I am still pondering a few different fish ideas. I will probably leave the underwater portion unplanted, but I will try to use the best hardscape + substrate combination that I can put together.

I have had this tank around for a while as a general fishroom tank, but the glass is still in pretty good shape.

[​IMG]

I started to shave down the to plastic rim with a block plane (the safe way to do it), but it kept getting stuck, so I finished the job with the edge of a scissors scraped along at 90 degrees. This worked well enough and I was able to split the rim all the way around and pop it off.

[​IMG]

Next I will scrape all of that silicone from around the top and up and down the vertical seams, then reseal those seams.

I was hoping to be able to fill this tank up to near the top. I have about 30cm of water in my converted rimless 50G, but that tank has front and rear panels with glass about 8mm thick. The front and rear panels on this enclosure are more like 6mm and they flex quite a bit if you push on them. I am interested to see how much bowing it will have filled with water.

I might have more time to work on this tomorrow and I'll try to get some more pictures.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

hydrophyte

I know the frustration trying to the plastic edging off I used a sharp knife and when it got to the top of the glass it just lifted off.

Sounds good so far please post the updates.

Keith:):):)

3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi hydrophyte , Sounds great :) Good job removing the plastic trim (y)

4. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi hydrophyte

An unusual shape tank you have there, looking forward to seeing how you work with it!(y):)