1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

10g progression journal

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Tsunami35, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Im starting my third tank, a standard 10 gallon 20" long. So far I have a large piece of Mopani driftwood, and I ordered a bag of Flourite Black Sand that should be here Wednesday. My camera is MIA right now so I cant take any pics. I have a couple questions:

-Will one 15.4 pound bag of sand be enough? I want it to slope steeply in the back left where the driftwood will be.

-How many watts of lighting should I aim for? I want the tank to be heavily planted and I plan to plumb my CO2 from my 30 gallon into this tank.

Im hoping to stock it with hc for a carpet, some stems along the back, and some christmas or flame moss, and maybe some anubias petite for the driftwood. For fauna I want a small school of guppies or tetras, and some CRS or Amanos.

2. trenac

trenac New Member

I think 1 bag of sand will be plenty. But you can buy two just case. Then return it to the store if not needed.

As for light I would aim for 30-40 watts, since the amount of light needed is more in smaller tanks.

3. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Well I got my sand and put it in, its going to take awhile for the water to clear. It should be enough for the tank although I dont have enough to get the slope that I want. Ill take some pictures when the water clears.

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

you can hurry up the clearing process when you do some heavy water changes ..
    if you didnt want to buy a second bag of sand, you can put some stones under the sand to become your slope.

5. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

I thought about putting some inert gravel or something under the sand on one side but didnt want the two to mix. What kind of stones should I use?

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

I have a slightly larger tank (15g) and i have a 36w PC T5 (2.5WPG) and i can grow any plants, about the same would be fine, unless you want higher lighting.

7. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

The water is starting to clear and the sand looks really nice. Ill try to take pictures this weekend.

Im looking at a couple of fixtures that are around 100 watts. Would that be too excessive? I dont want to have algae problems because of too much light.

8. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

100w is to much IMO, a 10g tank is borderline as needing more light. I would go no more than say a 3 x 24w T5 light luminaire (72w)

9. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

10. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

I would go with the 65w

11. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Well I just ordered a Current 80W (2x40W) fixture that has dual power switches, so if 80W is too much I can run it at 40. Also ordered CO2 splitter, tubing, needle valve, glass diffuser, drop checker and timer. So everything will be ready for the tank. My camera is still missing so I cant take pics yet, but I will try to get some.

What would be a good bubble rate for a 10g that will probably be mostly hc, mosses, some stems maybe rotala, and maybe some hairgrass? Im also thinking of running the light at 40W for the first 3hrs or so, then 80W in the middle, then back to 40W.

12. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

start of with 1 bubble every 2secs and adjust accordingly. DC can take a few hou to change colour and move it around the tank so you know the levels everywhere.

Lighting sounds good

13. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

I took some pictures with my camera phone since that's all I have right now. Theyre really bad, but I wanted something. I need some suggestions for plant types:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lighting and CO2 supplies will be in next week, and I should have some hc this Sunday.

Again, sorry for the bad pics

14. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Got the lighting today, just planted some mosses, hc and a few stems. It'll take awhile for everything to start growing in, and Ill probably move some stuff around. The idea is a carpet on the right side. Suggestions/comments?
    The pics still suck, sorry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Livingroom panorama

Attached Files: