1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

100x40x50 planted discus tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Jurijs mit JS, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Larsen

Larsen New Member

Ah heteranthera... my favorate plant:D... Great setup man. I'm amazed how much depth it conveys.

Hope I'm not stepping over my bounds here, but may I suggest that you reduce - even if it is fantastic - the HZ somewhat and add another stemplant? Maybe R rotundifolia. just to loosen it up abit. Personaly I'm not a big fan of the Nymphaea.

Very impressive setup! It needs a background tho.

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Yeah, must look for some kind of Acryl Background. Maybe one side black and the other side white to test what looks best, or even to change when i want to :)

Dont forget this is a discus tank, next month some young discus will arrive and stay in it for one year or so.. This way Nympaea is a suites very well, discus will love to hide under the big leaves.

HZ vs Rotala
    Actualy i love my HZ :p lol, the scape is made to change the background plant easily, this will alow to change the whole look easily. So once I will need a wallpaper change i will try anouther stem plant for the background.
    As you can see from earlier pictures I first had Ludwigie on the left side, but it melted randomly so I replaced it with HZ.

Except maybe the Showcase, critique is allways wellcome ;)

3. krisha

krisha New Member

i did - looks awesome

4. MonoBarrientos

MonoBarrientos New Member

Wow Jur4ik, good aquascape!!
    I like the "use"of H. zosterifolia. This plant with good light takes a horizontal growth and get good effect..but, is extremely fast and agressive with other plants.
    suggestion: maybe with some mosses in certain part of the rocks looks nice..and, in the zone with Ludwigia sp ("day 21") , a group of Rotala wallichii looks great!

Greetings
    Gmo

5. diego.s

diego.s Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi ,Jur4ik
    ^:)^great job, I like ,this step by step .

finally a beautiful aquarium .
    GREAT.

congratulations:yo:

6. Jamieman

Jamieman New Member

Top job man.
    I cant wait to see some discus in there.
    Again well done.

Jamie

7. saintly

saintly Aspiring Aquascaper

looks good mate. i see you didnt use a barrier between the sand and AS?....maybe next time eh?

there invaluable

8. Jurijs mit JS

Saintly
    Yes indeed, next time i will use a berrier - all because of the amanos, they throw the AS downstairs in this one area :loco:

Gmo
    HZ grows like fire in this tank, i have to trimm it every week, maybe i will replace it with some other stem plant that needs less maintenace.

Does Rotala wallichii gets reddish? One reason why I took out the Ludwigia was that there was too much red on the left sight ond no contrast to the Nymphea

Diego & Jamie
    Thank you! :*

9. MonoBarrientos

MonoBarrientos New Member

Hi!
    R. wallichii takes a red color in good conditions of light...
    a picture of my R. wallichii:

[​IMG]

but can be take more red in other conditions

Greetings!

10. Jurijs mit JS

your R. wallichii looks realy cool, I would say you convinced me :D
    What do you think, how many pots will I need to replace the left HZ ?

11. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

Jur4ik-- I love the scape actually, and I love those rocks. xD Sorry Pjerrot, but those round rocks are looking fantastic-- I think even you got to admit.

Once the Anubias matured, it's just got a great impression-- though, no offense but I wish I could see it myself or get a pro photographer to go over to your house.

Now that the tank looks great, maybe time to hit the photography guides? :D

12. Jurijs mit JS

Hi Steve,
    Nice to hear you like it :) Indeed the tank looks in person much more impressive.
    The problem is, that this tank stands in a corridor and there is only little space between the tank and the opposite wall - 1meter.

Actually I have little problems, some algae appeared and my Pogostemon Helferi doesnt look as fresh as salad that i would like to eat :D

I suppose, I neglected my tank the last few weeks a little bit.

13. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

What a fanastic midground. The tank really looks great in those final shots. I would agree the round stones work with that setup (now that you removed the top one). Join the club with broken lily pipes. One way to prevent breakage I learned is to push the tubing forward toward the pipe. This breaks the seal and it's easier to remove. Getting back to the stones. Big part of a successful scape IMO is inventory. If you simply don't have the rocks on hand it's much more difficult to develop great scapes and I think you've done that here. The pros have much more inventory on hand to choose from so they have a much better chance of having the perfect pieces to fit.

14. TressChanda

TressChanda New Member

Looks amazing!

15. XPLOSV

XPLOSV New Member

Jur4ik, I really like your scape and plants of choice.

The discus going to love it.

Keep us update when the discus go in.

10/10 ^_^

16. Jurijs mit JS

Yesterday the discus arrived :)
    as I couldn´t choose one color sheme I took all different :D
    Here they are:
    Santarem
    Pidgeon Blood "Blue"
    Dlue Diamond
    "Red Blue" (In germany they are called "Rot Türkis" dont know how to call them in english)
    X Snake Skin "Blue"

Actualy they are still a bit scared and shy and I´m worried if there is enough place for them in my tank.. Maybe the next bigger tank will be ordered earlier as I previously thought.

17. Jurijs mit JS

Got 2 new plants instead of the Heteranthera zosterifolia,
    they are:
    Echinodorus macrophyllus - I hope this one will grow out of the tank on the left side
    and
    Hygrophila difformis - This one simply replaced the HZ on the right side, when this one will grow as fast as HZ I will replace it too!

Here is a picture of my brand new discuc, still shy in the corner - how long does it take till they began swimming? after the light goes on they have no problems any more and are swiming all over the tank, but when the light goes on they only hide in this corner

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. dg2606

dg2606 New Member

Really good looking Discus. I'm sure once they get accustomed to looking at your pretty mug . lol. Can we get a full frontal shot of the tank

19. Jurijs mit JS

I wonder how long they will hide in the corner.. maybe they dont like something? :sad:

Here is a photo from today

[​IMG]

ps: i reduced the lightning intensity a bit, simply switched the HQL lights down to 80watt and took out in each chain 2 rings out . Now the light is softer and I hope the discus will feel better soon.

I also changed my fert regime, instead of daily dosage of macro ferts I from now only dose potassium.

Attached Files:

20. Ricardo Monteiro

Ricardo Monteiro New Member

Hello

Some floating plants would help them feel safer to swim freely through the whole aqua. I´ve also noticed that it´s a 200 litter aqua, or 160 real litter aqua for 5 discus, wich is manifestly insufficient but you will notice it. To keep fish and plants healthy you will have to struggle quite a bit.

Also, I think that choosing only one strain of discus would give a much more natural feeling to the aqua, but that´s just my opinion.

Dont stop updating the topic please. :proud::proud:

Cheers