1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

10 gallon tank lighting advice

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by leemis, Nov 5, 2011.

1. leemis

leemis New Member

it seems like there are very few lighting options for a standard 10 gallon tank (20" x 10" x 12") and i am not sure what to get. can anyone recommend a light that is under $100 and will produce great plant growth?

any recommendations (mh, cfl, t5, t8, led, etc) would be greatly appreciated!

i am currently using the marineland single bright led (300 lumens).

2. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

3. AquaGardener

AquaGardener New Member

Try those aluminum 8.5" clamp lamps. They're about $8 bucks at lowes or home depot. I have a 10 gallon and 2 of them will work great.

On my setup I use 3 clamp lamps and some natural sunlight from a window because I also have terrestrial plants growing.

[​IMG]

This is what 2 lamps will do
    [​IMG]

You can use this chart for CFL's to figure out how much light you want in you tank based on bulb wattage and distance from substrate. Hope it helps.

[​IMG]

4. leemis

leemis New Member

thank you both for the advice! this gives me some great direction. i really appreciate the help. i think my plants will too if they live long enough to see the light of day ;). they're looking kind of sorry right now (except my wysteria).

5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Hi AquaGardener, do you have PAR table for light that was hang 50cm to 80cm from the substrate?

6. AquaGardener

AquaGardener New Member

No, but that light was meant for the terrestrial plants behind the tank. It's about 15 inches above the top of the tank. So, most of the plants are getting 100 PAR maybe more(Depending on how close each plant is to the light), along with the 2 hours of indirect sunlight coming from the window at dusk. I think it's also important to note that those plants are more shade/partial sun plants. I don't think plants that like lots of direct sunlight will do well with this setup.

Aquarium plants though will love this type of light. I've grown plants extremely well with 50-75 PAR. (CO2, EI Dosing, 50% weekly water change)

7. tenshu

tenshu New Member

CFL: the Philips Tornado will give you good result, get a IkeX lamp and replace the bulb.
    LED: you can build a DIY fixture with a few cree led, look at rapidled.com.
    T5: it will be a pain to find a fixture 50cm long.
    T8: old fashioned :q
    MH: high light disease.