1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

10 Gallon Planted (please give me tips)

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by lucasgg, Aug 13, 2014.

1. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

So my 10 gallon has moved along quite far in my eyes. The layout has improved from the last few months and I hope that you guys would help me find and conqueror any mistakes I made. Finally, I do not claim full credit of this layout. My loving father gave several suggestions and helped move the 'scape along. Here is his website: http://jeremygoodding.com

(All the inhabitants have passed away due to a heater error, and have been replaced by Neon Tetras.) IMG_3348.JPG IMG_3356.JPG IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG IMG_3356.JPG

Glomeridae, keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hi Lucas,

I think the scape looks fine. You may want to consider some taller plants in the back behind the wood to fill in that space.

One thing I notice is there is a lot of cyanobacteria (BGA) in your tank. You will need to deal with that. First try to siphon out as much of it as you can. Second: I don't usually advocate for the use of erythromycin, but in this case a course would do your tank some good. Look for API's erythromycin for aquariums and dose according to the label.

Consider moving your outlet alongside your inlet or vice versa. That way they can push and pull together and improve flow.

Your father is a talented man. The balance of the hardscape is good. My only suggestion that as plants grow in you may have an odd open space behind the driftwood. Keep the long leaves of the lilies trimmed so it grows densely and it will look nice. Consider adding some CO2, either Seachem excel with DIY CO2 or pressurized. CO2 does wonders for growth.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Lucas, I like your Scape too (y) Just a though on the planting. At the back of the lily LH side Crypt nevellii would look good. And on the DW some small Anubias nana :)
    One Photo

Attached Files:

ShadowMac and Glomeridae like this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Lucas

I don't think there is much more I can add other that with all that algae after you have cleaned it up I strongly suggest a good filter cleaning especially the tubing, inlet and outlet this will also help with the water movement.

Keith:):)

5. lucasgg

Thanks! Keith: It's comforting to hear you say that you don't have much to say on the 'scape...

Check out my Dad's paintings on his website!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  6. keithgh

Lucas

You have been given some excellent advice all it requires is a little bit of attention here and there plus clean all the Algae up.

7. lucasgg

Okay! Seriously, thanks for all the tips you gave. They will make a difference.

keithgh likes this.
  8. lucasgg

Now, since the tank is relatively small, I want to have extra emphasis on the small scale. Which red plant would look best in replacement of the Tiger Lilies and would also help correct the scale?

keithgh likes this.
  9. ShadowMac

C. wendtii red, its a brownish red and will grow well. Or Alternethera reineckii mini, it is very red and would need some green around it to tone it down and give good contrast.

I have both if you are interested. I'd do the crypt if you don't have plans to add CO2 and use Cryptocoryne balansae as a background all along the back.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  10. lucasgg

I do have plans to add co2, but my budget is about shot. My brother does have a decent co2 system that he may be interested in selling. However, I do have DIY co2, which is hooked to the output of my powerhead. I have noticed my Java Fern and Tiger Lilies pearling, and I even turned off the co2 to make sure it was real pearls and sure enough there were more bubbles on the leaves about 45 minutes later.

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  11. lucasgg

What is the average leaf width for the C. wendtii red?

keithgh likes this.
  12. keithgh

Lucas

Just doing a quick research the C. wendtii red has several varieties and they apparently can vary in sizes and colour.

The conditions it grows in could also influence the colour and size.

I would say at a very good guess Shadow only has quality plants.

13. ShadowMac

As soon as I get my IAPLC entry ranking in the mail I'll be showing the scape that has the C. wendtii red in it. It takes most of the focus in the scape (which I hadn't intended). The small plantlets I have available are from this mother plant. They were cropping up in the foreground so I pulled them yesterday. They are not large but would get a good size in time.
    Keith is right size will depend upon a number of factors. Some leaves were big, 8" long and 2" wide in my scape. If I keep it trimmed back none get that large simply because I keep it cut down as to not invade other plants' space.

I think the C. wendtii red and C. balansae behind that would look excellent in this scape.

14. lucasgg

Do any of you have professional pics of C. balansae? I am having difficulties visualizing the plant in the scape.

keithgh likes this.
  15. keithgh

Lucas

Plants can be very confusing some times you might buy from a photo but after its been in your tank for a period of time in can change colour and its growing habits.

lucasgg and greenfinger 2 like this.
  16. ShadowMac

use google images, plenty of good pics there.

17. lucasgg

I am interested in C. wendtii, just let me know when you have some available and how big they are.

keithgh likes this.
  18. lucasgg

Alright, the bio load has changed since I got the neons. The algae has changed in it's growth rate, but seems normal now. It would be incredibly nice if I could push down the algae growth even more. I am aware that more plants will help, but something is up with co2 levels and nutrients. Suggestions would be great, especially step by step improvement.

keithgh likes this.
  19. keithgh

lucasgg

Sorry I cannot help you with the Co2 as I have never used.

Its good to see you are getting the Algae under control.

20. lucasgg

Any handy tips on dwarf hair grass? I'm dosing phosphate, carbon and using root tabs. DIY co2 is also in use, but is not very effective.