1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

10 Gallon Iwagumi Style - First Aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by J Art, Jan 27, 2016.

1. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Hmmm, not sure on that one. I have another check valve between the bubble counter and the diffuser so I'm assuming I'm ok. Just followed GLA's direction on blowing out debris...appears to be doing the same thing but going to let everything settle and see how we are in the morning. The amount of CO2 running through is so minimal that it doesn't effect the aquarium, so luckily I have time to sort it out.

GLA said if this didn't do the trick that he had instruction on how to manually clean out the solenoid. At least I'm learning how to trouble shoot the system...on the other hand though, sometimes you just want things to work and not have to mess with them...

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.

Sponsored link:

2. J Art

Just a quick iphone pic comparison between day 1 and yesterday, about 5 weeks.

IMG_0646 copy copy.JPG

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

J Art

Can we have a close up of the tank only as it is now please.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. J Art

Will post in another week or so. Runners are starting to pop out like crazy so I'd rather it fill in a bit more before next closeup.

5. keithgh

J Art

We will be waiting for the updates.

6. J Art

_MG_7403-Edit.jpg

Well, here we are almost 6 weeks after planting. Very rewarding process and have learned a lot from everyone here but @keithgh & @ShadowMac in particular. Of course, there is much room for improvement, but as a first ever attempt I couldn't be happier. I'm looking forward to letting this fill in completely and then planning the next scape.

There's a bit of green algae forming on the rocks, but I am in between loving it and spraying it with hydrogen peroxide, lol. The Ottos seem to enjoy it.

There are 4 baby shrimp that I counted yesterday. 21 shrimp in all.

Ottos are my favorite....their colors have really come out the last week.

3 longfin Zebra Danios recently added. (2 Ottos = 5 total...odd number on purpose)

Eleocharis acicularis pearls quite a bit. Very meditative to watch.

Runners are popping up finally. For a while there weren't any. So that's a relief.

CO2 bubble counter is at 80 beats per minute and giving me around 25-30ppm in my 10 gallon tank.

KH remains around 2.

PH fluctuates from 7.2 in the morning to 6.3 in the afternoon (altered by the CO2 of course).

EI fertilization (half dose now, bumped up from 1/3 dosing in the beginning).

Will be trimming the front a bit shorter in the next few days to keep it from covering the rocks. I've noticed that the more I cut it, the more it tends to hug the substrate. The back has only been slightly trimmed once or twice since planting, the front has been trimmed every week. No difference in the amount of runners.

Also attached an image of the aquarium as it sits in my client room. Plenty of things to improve on, but the basic philosophy of fitting it into the environment is what I'm most happiest about and gives me something to build on for the next attempt.

Attached Files:

s.hop3r and ShadowMac like this.
  7. keithgh

J Art

Thank you for posting the Photos

It gives you tank the naturally aged look about it.

Its also natural food for your Ottos and shrimp.

ShadowMac likes this.
  8. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

The photo looks good....of course we'd expect nothing less. If you took photos like me you'd be outta work!

I like the green algae on the rocks, nothing wrong with that. It gives it authenticity and an aged look. I'm missing my algae on my stones. I used some excel to spot treat a little BBA and it wiped out the algae on the stone...and since I've been running a twinstar and much lower light levels lately it has not grown back. Algae on the plants is bad....a little dusting of some on the hardscape looks natural. The BBA, staghorn, or BGA varieties are bad everywhere (unless you are one of those weirdos who loves BBA).

This is a great example of a well executed first scape. Thanks for documenting the process. After a couple months that HG will be carpeting well, give it some time before planning your next aquascaping adventure...unless you have another setup ;)

keithgh and J Art like this.
  9. J Art

Thanks. I usually only photograph people, so this is a challenge actually. Definitely admire what others are doing in the photo realm of the hobby for sure.

Sort of playing with the idea of adding a manifold block to the CO2 regulator and setting up an additional one. But my wife thinks that's crossing into "crazy-fish-person-land"...

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  10. ShadowMac

I keep telling myself that as long as they look good and everything is clean then I have not gone here...

tell her it is an unexplored artistic medium...Or do what I do and tell my wife "I could have worse hobbies" and then list of a number of things I know she would hate more :D

J Art likes this.
  11. keithgh

J Art

In the early days of my first digital camera, I asked a professional photographer "How do you photograph an Aquarium/one fish?" I received a simple answer "With great difficulty."

Its the curved fronted Tanks that can cause a lot of fun.

J Art, lucasgg and ShadowMac like this.
  12. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

One reason I couldn't get a bow front...

J Art likes this.
  13. keithgh

Lucas

I am hoping J Art will help with the Photography and presentation of members Tanks.

J Art likes this.
  14. J Art

Quick update.

Plants are doing really well.

50% water change yesterday and got rid of 90% of the biofilm. But it's back today. I'm topping off the aquarium with water stored in a plastic jug, but I can't imagine that is causing the issue. I have a feeling I may have high ammonia at the moment after agitating the substrate the other day as I added a few additional plugs of dwarf hairgrass from my window stash. But who knows.

Had 2 shrimp deaths :( (maybe high ammonia, can't confirm as I don't have an ammonia test kit at the moment)

A bit more green algae growing on the heater and rocks. I may cut back lighting or add an extra half hour of CO2. Right now the CO2 shuts off an 1.5 hours before lights out. I might let it run a bit more and raise my lights a tad.

Have some sort of string cluster green algae in a couple spots that I manually removed.

The water is crystal clear looking across the tank.

Baby shrimp are getting bigger.

Danios have ADD.

15. keithgh

J Art

I used to get my water tested at the LFS as required.

Check your water supply as well.

16. J Art

The town just flushed out the water hydrants and we had brown water for a half a day or so. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

17. keithgh

J Art

That sounds like that could be it.

Because of my very bad water conditions which varied over the year I was very strongly advised to take all my water directly from my instantaneous hot water service and store it in plastic water containers for a week.

J Art likes this.
  18. J Art

Interesting. I have a water filter system that we use for drinking water that is close to RO but leaves in minerals. I may start using it for the aquarium as well....

19. ShadowMac

Test the KH and GH to ensure you have enough minerals. Mg and Ca. You may need a GH booster with it.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

J Art likes this.
  20. ShadowMac

CO2 is most critical in the beginning of the lighting phase. I wouldn't think the extra 30 min. will solve the problem. Reducing your light will help. If I remember correctly you recently upped the duration?

One more thing, after disturbing the substrate it's good practice to do a water change.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

J Art and keithgh like this.