1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

10 Gallon Iwagumi Style - First Aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by J Art, Jan 27, 2016.

1. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

If the investment is doable and you have reliable advice on what system to get, then I say go with pressurized from the start. But...DIY was a great way for me to be introduced. It's cheap, the citric acid method worked surprisingly well, and it gave me time to research regulators. That being said, I'm looking forward to not having to monitor and tweak my CO2 setup nearly as much.

Pressurized cost a lot more up front. So if DIY will get you started and excited about aquascaping, then go for it. You can always upgrade.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.

Sponsored link:

2. J Art

What would you suggest? I was initially debating some sort of baby four leaf clover in the middle area, a type of microsorum in the back right, and maybe mixing monte carlo up front.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Well this is where I get in trouble...because I think HC would look the best right along the front edge mixing in a little further back into the front of the front of the front stones...but I always tell beginners to skip HC and use Monte Carlo instead. Once you get pressurized setup you could give it a go...or use Monte Carlo instead.

The mixing would keep the hourglass at bay a little in the front and preserve the view of the stones. HC maintains the scale best.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

keithgh and J Art like this.
  4. ShadowMac

hairgrass* (hourglass!? darn auto correct)

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

J Art
    That is perfectly correct the problem often seen is if the DIY is not running correctly it can cause concern and some will get disheartened and not continue.

Keith :cat::cat:

6. J Art

That type of person probably needs to start with the easiest/least amount of hassle method, which is pressurized.

But freshwater is still viewed as a low cost/cut corners hobby to most people I think. Unless you're kind of deep into it, a CO2 regulator seems like an almost ridiculous purchase. My CO2 setup cost more than every other component of the aquascape combined (including the stand, lights, filter, gravel, stones, aquarium, plants, inhabitants, EI ferts, etc). Granted I built the stand and lights...but still...

I have more expensive hobbies than this for sure, but the idea in my mind around an aquarium at the beginning was 'low cost'. So it's less about the money and more about the expectation of the newcomer. If you go into it with the mindset of low cost hobby, that CO2 regulator is a huge hurdle.

To someone who is in the research stages and hasn't even started yet, there's a danger of dropping out just because the CO2 regulator cost doesn't seem justifiable. I'd say go DIY, get your feet/arms wet, and then upgrade when you feel you need to.

To someone who loves tech, isn't concerned about the cost and likes having everything right from the beginning, don't bother. Just go with a pressurized system.

Personally I sort of like climbing the ladder with any hobby. If I get everything I need right away and there's no struggle, I tend to lose interest faster. The process of research, trial/error, etc. is what keeps me going.

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  7. keithgh

JArt

Thank you for a very informative reply

With a little research and assistance I fully agree with you on every point.

With your aquascape its easy to see you like a challenge and learn extremely fast.

Keith:cat::cat:

J Art likes this.
  8. J Art

....and now we're cooking with gas....
    GLA regulator through an atomic diffuser :)

9. keithgh

J Art its a pity the Video is so short any chance of a longer Video with that unit as it is in your Aquascape.

J Art likes this.
  10. J Art

Per Keith's request. Here's my 26 day update with a closer look at the GLA system.

11. ShadowMac

That presentation was legit. Tank looks good. Once the grass fills in it'll be a great looking scape. I will be coming to you for photography pointers

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    s.hop3r, keithgh and J Art like this.
  12. J Art

Thanks @ShadowMac.

Definitely some things I'd do differently on the next scape, but this one is shaping up. I'm going to stick to just dwarf hairgrass and let it mature and see it through.

One thing I really like about how it's evolving is that it's definitely an aquatic scape. The more I see heavily influenced landscape/diorama scapes, the less I like them. They seem to lose their soul for me.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  13. ShadowMac

I agree very much with that sentiment

14. keithgh

J Art

Thank you for posting that very good Video many on ASW are too small and move so fast over every thing its extremely hard to follow.

You can get ideas from nature but that does not mean you have to duplicate it in miniature.

Your Aquascape is a KIS but in saying that it has balance, a very good eye flow and has that natures appeal about it.

With your photography skills you have a distinct advantage and that is presentation is prize winning.

ShadowMac likes this.
  15. J Art

Thanks @keithgh. I don't know about prize winning, but it does helps to present in a pleasing manner.

I have a feeling I'm going to continue with the KIS strategy in the future as well.

16. keithgh

J Art

An excellent competitive Aquascape can loose points for a poor presentation.

A good example would be a few top entries with an average presentation would certainly loose points making the Aquascape that is perfect in its presentation the winner.

I introduced Roy to the KIS method and he has followed it into his WKs.

The other point that works with KIS is "Less is More and More is Less" stick to those basic design features and you can never go wrong.

At a guess you would possibly use that many times when taking a photograph.

17. J Art

Yes, absolutely. What doesn't add, detracts.

s.hop3r, keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  18. keithgh

J Art
    Thank you for that I have not heard of that in design I assume its used for Photography.

19. jagermelifter

jagermelifter Aspiring Aquascaper

what is kis and wks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. J Art

kis = keep it simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk