1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

10 Gallon Iwagumi Style - First Aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by J Art, Jan 27, 2016.

1. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely go for the Amonos then.

Sponsored link:

2. J Art

I am loving the current in here. The way the grass in the back flows right and in front flows left. Even if I go pressurized I may like the current going anyway. White clouds could be cool. Zebra Danios also. Neons would be a nice color to have in there as well. Glass catfish sort of comes to mind as well. Guess I have time to think about it.

3. J Art

Are they single or dual stage? Dual GLAs are out of my price range for this set up. Just came across CO2Art....they seem pretty good. Any recommendations on the CO2Art dual stage systems? If I go GLA, it will likely be their lowest full size single stage regulator model with a 5lb cylinder.

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

The GLA units I have are single stage regulators. The bubble rate does increase somewhat as the tank empties. A good needle valve helps prevent tank dumps as well. I have not had an issue with gassing any fish. I have not used the CO2 art regulators, but they look nice enough.

If I were purchasing my top of the line model now (when I first purchased dual stage was only available by custom builds from hobbyists) I'd get a dual stage. That being said, I have not had issues with either of my single stage GLA regs.

J Art likes this.
  5. J Art

Good to know. Thanks for the insight.

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

J Art

I would prefer Cardinals to Neons are they are usually healthier and better colouring.

Keith:cat::cat:

7. ShadowMac

Cardinals are too large for this scape, IMO. I do prefer them to neons.

Ruby tetras are nice and like a little flow

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

8. keithgh

Shawn

Yes they can be larger to compensate that I would use less or look at some of the Micro fish if available in your area.

J Art likes this.
  9. J Art

Is it too early to start trimming? Some of these blades are shooting up pretty quick. Or should I wait for the roots to fully develop first?

10. ShadowMac

no reason to start trimming yet. let it establish more. Then you can hack it down to get it to grow in thicker.

keithgh and J Art like this.
  11. J Art

Ok, cool. Thanks!

12. J Art

Got home today and turned off the filter/powerhead to do a water change and was kind of shocked to see these little guys pearling like crazy. At least I think they are...

Took a quick iphone video for documentation purposes. Disregard the horrible white balance, shakiness, dirty glass, reflections, etc. Was just intrigued and wanted to share.

Hit the little HD button to see it better.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  13. keithgh

J Art

I would also wait until the plants are more established

14. J Art

1 week update.

Well my love for this design is fading a bit. The honeymoon period is over....BUT, the first experience of seeing these plants grow makes up for it. After today's water change I just sat there with the filter and powerhead off and watched these little things pearl for about 15 minutes. As a complete newbie, that was pretty awesome. Feels like I must at least be heading in the right direction.

Once these establish a bit more it's definitely haircut time. The backside can grow in a bit more, but the front needs to be trimmed in half I'd say.

Some brown algae growth but nothing crazy. Had a little bit of a bacteria bloom a few hours after 75% water change. Should clear up in a day or so I assume.

1week.JPG

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  15. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Looking good. Heck, if you get tired of the setup, just change around the plants! or stick a driftwood in there and turn it into a jungle!

Are you going to get any occupants?

J Art likes this.
  16. J Art

I'm thinking there may be a need for some height in the back right. Maybe a 'Trident' or Pogostemon type. But maybe not, I guess I have to wait and see how it all fills out first.

Going to head to the store in about a week I think for some clean up crew shrimp. Then once carpeted, a small school of white clouds or neons.

17. keithgh

J Art

Take a big deep breath and slow down then let the tank develop before you make any decisions.

In the meantime just think about the inhabitants you would like to have in your new tank.

Remember your Aquascape is a KIS and Less is More by keeping it that way you will surprise your self, if in doubt just look at your first effort

A one word answer is required YES.

J Art likes this.
  18. J Art

Here we are 3 weeks after planting. Thinking about giving a trim early next week. Have a few runners popping up, but not too many yet.

My rockscape has drooped a bit, but the main stone is easy enough to adjust. I may build that up next week when I trim.

Much of the brown algae has exited the scene, thankfully.

Noticed substrate worms a few days ago, but from what I've read this is normal? So I'm not really worried about that.

Loving the shrimp crew, thanks to @ShadowMac

If I could start over, I'd go with a rimless tank, but there's always the next one...

Pressurized CO2 system will be in next week, which will replace the DIY setup currently running.

_MG_7293-Edit-2.jpg

s.hop3r, keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  19. ShadowMac

I'm starting to think mixing in something lower growing in the front might look good.

Glad the diatoms cleared. Looks like you are off to a good first scape.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

J Art and keithgh like this.
  20. keithgh

J Art

If your were to be asked now would you recommend a DIY Co2 or start off with a quality new Pressurized Co2 unit?