1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

10 Gallon Iwagumi Style - First Aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by J Art, Jan 27, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

J Art

Does that mean you had to separate the plants from the rock wool?

I always did it under a running tap with tweezers its a B of a job but far easier that way.

I hope you trimmed all the damaged roots.

Any spare plants let them float most should bounce back.

Keith:cat::cat:

J Art likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Yea, carefully and slowly...took a while. I used a bucket with water to help wash it off, but the tap sounds like a better idea.

Yes, I did trim any damaged roots that I saw. Wasn't sure whether or not to cut the blades of grass, I read conflicting takes on this, so I trimmed about half and left the others. I guess I'll see which spring back quicker. And yes, I have a few more floating at the moment, but not many.

keithgh likes this.
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I hope you have some good scissors. The E. acicularis is going to get tall. 10 cm or taller. A better variety for future reference would have been E. parvula or E. belem (also known as Japanese mini).

It will be fine, but need regular mowing.

4. J Art

Here we are, day 1:
    iwagumi_plantday1.JPG
    Mostly green but a bit of brown and looks like maybe some melting? Not really sure, but expecting some time until these get rooted and acclimated. Also anticipating some die off as new guys start growing in. Good CO2 levels and about 5 hours of lighting for first few days and then slowly go up and start dosing in EI ferts. Water change likely tomorrow...

I just got some snippers off Ebay. I thought I read on Tropica that acicularis was shorter, but I am likely mistaken.
    IMG_0680.JPG

Attached Files:

Cip and keithgh like this.
  5. keithgh

J Art

If any of those plants get much taller you will finish up with a grassy looking Aquascape without most of those smaller rocks.

6. ShadowMac

The stones are nicely arranged but under sized. In the next scape it would look better if there was not so much empty space.

Hairgrass is a good plant to start with.. although this one would have been better with HC.

It will still look nice so keep at it.

Tropics has an E. acicularis mini or something. It is also known as Japanese mini or E. belem. Hopefully that is the variant. It is only available as tissue culture. If your grass was in a standard pot it will be the taller variety

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

7. J Art

I do love the grassy look. To be honest, I'll be pretty excited if this thing carpets and becomes dense. I'm planning on trimming low in front and keeping it sort of longer in the back....sort of like my haircut in the 90s.

Also, I'm taking these photos rather low and with a long lens (200mm), looking up a bit on the aquarium. Next photo I'll take from normal viewing height and maybe with a 50mm to get a more real to life perspective.

Thanks for feedback! I was too intimidated to try HC on the first go....

8. keithgh

That sounds like excellent advice.

9. ShadowMac

You mean smart enough not to try HC first try...smarter than me. I did a long dsm only to have it die a little while after flooding.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

10. keithgh

Shawn

When experienced growers have problems with certain plants it should be a warning to all newcomers "Beware"

ShadowMac likes this.
  11. J Art

IMG_0689.JPG

Just a quick instagram pic. Gives a little better true to life scale than the dslr with long lens. Starting to notice some little hair-like things on some strands. Maybe algae? Too small to get a picture of at the moment. Noticed them with a magnifying glass. Will update more as it develops.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  12. ShadowMac

DIY CO2 in the left low corner? It is easier to see the scale with this photo, the hair grass will still start to envelope the rocks if not kept trimmed.

You could be getting some diatoms in the beginning here. Look for roots and runners coming from your hairgrass, this will let you know if its growing well.

Once things cycle, it would be a good idea to get some Amano shrimp and ottos in there to deal with the diatoms.

keithgh and J Art like this.
  13. J Art

Yep, running DIY CO2 at the moment (citric acid+baking soda) but looking into a Green Leaf Aquarium regulator for the long term. The DIY regulator builds look great, but honestly I'm just not at all experienced with pressurized systems and would rather go with a company that does it well. I sort of want to buy once and be done. But DIY citric acid works pretty good until then. Kind of surprised on the stability of this little system. Although, I only got about 2 weeks out of my first batch (started a week before planting just to see how it worked).

Keeping my eye out for runners. I see a few little, smaller strands of hairgrass, but I don't remember if they were there when I planted them. Most of the brown stems have either fallen off, grown that hair-like brown algae, or are close to falling off. Which seems like a good thing considering the really green blades are staying in tact. I'm only focusing on the positive growth...

The flow on this tank is really good. As you can see, the HOB filter is in the front right and the powerhead is in the back lower left. Those little CO2 bubbles are distributed everywhere. And the last 1 hour of yesterday and today's light cycle I saw little bubbled at the tips of some of the blades of grass. I'm thinking it's just bubbles getting caught on the blades, but maybe pearling? Seems too early for that.....

Don't have a drop checker...using the dated method of PH + KH levels. But for some weird reason I feel more comfortable this way at the moment. I'm getting a sense of the chemistry of the tank and I can monitor which direction is goes in.

The water started to cloud a tiny bit towards the end of the light period today. So I'm anticipating some sort of algae bloom. Coincidentally, I started EI fertilizing today. Will see what it looks like tomorrow, if it's worse, I may postpone fertilization until roots are more in place.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it's going. Looking at this picture in comparison to the first one I posted, I'm much closer to what I originally imagined, mostly thanks to@keithgh pushing.

But in regards to algae in general...I sort of feel like having it in the beginning is normal, no? All I can think of is the little pond I have in the backyard...when I first set it up it was an algae bloom fest....1 month later, after nature kicked in, it was crystal clear. I'm not worried if this turns to pea soup for a couple weeks. And if it doesn't, that awesome.

Definitely starting to think about either some shrimp or snails after the 3 week mark...

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  14. ShadowMac

Just something quick here, since you just have hairgrass I'd say you can cut your EI dosages to 1/3

J Art likes this.
  15. J Art

Ah, thanks for that! Probably just saved me a bunch of trial and error.

16. keithgh

J Art
    I would let the tank develop and get every thing right before you start getting inhabitants.

Have you decided on which Snails and Shrimp you are getting?

I think it was a big push in the end that finally worked.

J Art likes this.
  17. J Art

Have to take a trip to the local fish store and see what they're carrying. Haven't researched it that much yet. Any suggestions?

18. ShadowMac

personally, I would skip snails. Nerites are about the only variety safe with plants and they leave little white egg deposits all over hardscape. I highly recommend at least a few Amanos. The next scape I do in my main tank will be exclusively Amanos. The red cherry shrimp have bred way too much and they are everywhere, it is a little unsightly. Wouldn't be a problem if I was better at selling them off.

So my suggestion is 10 amanos and 3 ottos.

19. ShadowMac

for fish, consider something small and schooling. With all the flow in there I'd think about some white clouds as an easy loose schooling fish that likes some current.

The smaller the fish the bigger your scape will look. You can easily blow the scale with too large of a fish. You will also need something that can handle the flow.

Once you move to pressurized, which I highly recommend, that rear pump will go and the flow will be reduced. I'd also consider adding a canister filter. A small eheim 2211, 2213, or an eheim ecco would be the ones I'd recommend. Your HOB will off gas a lot of CO2 and the changing water level will alter flow and surface agitation. It is just easier. Not to say you cannot accomplish your goal with the HOB.

GLA regulator is a great choice. I have two and they work great. Reliable and easily adjustable. They are the older models, I've yet to try their new ones. Don't know if I'll ever get around to doing it consider the ones I have work so well for so long.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  20. ShadowMac

In general, a little algae and diatoms in the beginning is fairly normal. I usually always get brown diatoms. It can be avoided with lots of frequent water changes. I'm never that good for that long (2-3 weeks).

measuring your CO2 with the pH KH method is just as good as a drop checker. KH titrations unless its a really good kit like the LaMotte, are almost as subjective as the dropchecker reading. Just remember they are an estimate and some assumptions go into the calculations and the results. It will get you in the ballpark, but your observations will get you the rest of the way.