1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

10 Gallon Iwagumi Style - First Aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by J Art, Jan 27, 2016.

1. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

J, a quick tip: cut the top rim off (only use a knife, no pliers), use super glue to tighten any loosened silicone. Rimmed tanks are so...1980's lol

Sponsored link:

2. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

I thought about cutting it off back when I started the scape but ultimately didn't want to compromise structural support. But honestly I don't even notice it. It's one of those things that appears more in a photo. At home I hardly notice it because what's inside overwhelmingly draws more attention. But then again....I used to exclusively use canister filters and now I like HOB's.....maybe I'm having a return to the 80s.....haha

But seriously, the price difference isn't worth it yet to me, and I'm not that good a scaper yet. Maybe when I get more advanced I'll dive into the rimless realm. It's always good to have things to work towards. It keeps the interest in the hobby going for longer.

3. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

Everyone with rimmed tanks says that lol. I only removed the top rim of my 10g, and what a difference it made! You'll enjoy a top view of your tank much more. When you rescape this tank, shoot me a message, I'll walk you through taking the rim off if you want to, worst case scenario you break a pane and have to buy a new $12 aquarium lol.

J Art likes this.
  4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

please elaborate, why is this your preference now?

I think you did a good job with this scape choosing a scape and a plant that would work with the equipment you had...this is one of the most crucial aspects of success. I'd give you more credit than your HOB ;)

5. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Short answer, they're easier for me to maintain....

I've found that I clean a canister filter far less than I should because it's always somewhat messy and a hassle. I've had problems with leaks in previous units, impeller issues, etc. Also, one time I was away on business and my wife called because the filter was "making noises", to which my brother-in-law decided to "check it out" and siphoned a quarter of the tank onto our floor before realizing what was going on, which led to a cracked heater and dead fish....so that left a bad taste in my mouth. So I sort of have a chip on my shoulder I guess with canisters.

HOBs are easier to clean, the aquaclears have a lot of room for biomedia, they do what they're designed to do, and they're cheaper.

The biggest issue for the planted tank is probably surface agitation and CO2. Although in my limited experience, I haven't had any issues keeping consistently high CO2 with a 2 bubbles per second rate from the regulator. And at night when the CO2 is off, it helps re-oxygenate the aquarium and battle biofilm (which has completely gone away since they finished flushing our local water systems coincidentally).

The other issue is appearance. Inside the tank they're the same, but obviously you can see them hanging over the edge. I hang them on the side instead of the back, which tends to be less noticeable.

Never used inline diffusers or heaters, so those options don't matter to me at this point. That could change later on.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

A good HOB are very easy to clean and maintain especially for smaller tanks, but today you can buy quality canister filters suitable for small tanks.

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac and J Art like this.